New Gods. Ava DuVernay to direct

Discussion in 'DC Comics Films' started by Speed Force, Mar 15, 2018.

1. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

A story’s main protagonists/antagonists are a pretty basic part of the story. Given the themes DuVernay seems to like to work with, a female heavy storyline featuring Granny’s orphanage and Apokaliptan indoctrination is a safe bet, with The New Gods and their legacy in the background.

2. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Faster Pussycat Kill Kill

Nah. We need a team. ;) :D

[​IMG]

3. Deck Rickard

Deck Rickard Crashing into Blockbuster like whoa

LOL

In all seriousness, if WB manages to sidestep Darkseid AGAIN in a friggin' NEW GODS movie, I'm done with them. I mean, come on. I'm not saying he has to be the central villain in the first film, but he'd better have a bloody presence. And Orion needs to be there too. A film that gives Scott and Barda the Bryan Singer Wolverine and Jean treatment while everyone else plays backup dancer roles doesn't sit right with me at all.

4. Willi Berg

Willi Berg On The Run

That could be what ends up happening though- the Apokolips vs. New Genesis war the background/prologue, including Darkseid and Highfather trading sons. Then it focuses on Scott Free/Big Barda fighting the Furies. I hope they give enough time to really show the whole story though. I'm sure they would have to battle Darkseid at some point, and I would hope they would give as much time to Orion's side of the story (including New Genesis.)

5. David H.

David H. Well-Known Member

Eh, I think Scott and Barda’s relationship being the introduction and center-piece to the world(s) saves you from more of the gravely serious thing that Snyder was going for. You can’t hope to fit all the elements in one outing but Darkseid would surely factor in. Granny Goodness is sort of directly tied to him and Scott starts out as his adopted son, no?

Loki and Thanos.

6. Aurakles

Aurakles Well-Known Member

Darkseid never took any role in raising Scott, he was immediately given to Granny Goodness.

I'd keep Darkseid in the background, never actually showing him, but having terrifying characters like Granny shudder when his name is mentioned. Have people shout Hail Darksied, have statues of him, but at most show his hand or his silhouette.

I like Darkseid as the mastermind, the great strategist who sends minions like the Furies to do his will. I'd want a first film to build up his reputation, create an fearful impression of him before he takes centre stage in a future film.

7. Milk Tray Guy

Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

I'll be really interested to see what they do with the Furies. Similar casting calls to those for the Amazons I guess.

8. Boom

Boom I got nothin'

They've got to stop hedging their bets with sequels though. I don't want them to hold off on using Darkseid for a second film that may never see the light of day. If they want to use Darkseid, use him now.

9. Deck Rickard

Deck Rickard Crashing into Blockbuster like whoa

This. Like I said, he doesn't have to be the central villain, but I want him to have a presence and not just appear in statues or have other characters mention him.

10. bubbadoom

bubbadoom Well-Known Member

now that James Gunn is free Warner needs to give this project to him...

11. Milk Tray Guy

Can't see WB hiring Gunn, good as he is. Maybe one day but not for the foreseeable future.

12. RockSP

RockSP MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Not to mention this project has a director already, lol.

13. Milk Tray Guy

True of course! :funny: I meant for anything.

14. Aurakles

I'm saying don't use a lot of Darkseid if it's a film focused on Mr.Miracle and Big Barda. If Orion was the focus I'd want tons of Darkseid.

15. bubbadoom

bubbadoom Well-Known Member

a director who's last film was a huge flop - so PLEASE give something this complicated to her...

16. 2kt09

2kt09 Here 'N' There

the rumored plot is just Romeo Must Die.

17. WhoMani

WhoMani Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with Darkseid not being the main villain if Mr Miracle and Barda are the main protagonist. I would assume that the main villain is Granny Goodness as she played active role in raising Scott and that she trained Big Barda. If Orion is the main protagonist then Darkseid will probably have a much bigger role in the movie.

Darkseid should at least be seen in the background like Thanos in the first Guardians of the Galaxy. His character is integral to New Gods mythology and there's no point of him not showing up in this movie as the sequel to New Gods is not guaranteed.

18. David H.

David H. Well-Known Member

Yeah, the march from Selma to Montgomery, the American prison system, her upcoming Central Park 5 mini-series? Easy. This, on the other hand?

19. Gamma Goliath

Gamma Goliath Engine of Destruction

Even though I have no problems with Ava directing this, I wish she was doing a Static movie. It'd be right up her alley and it also taps into the younger demographic. Lower budget, real world issues, great characters with depth and it makes a statement.

20. Aurakles

New Gods deals with real world issue, primarily through symbolism. I have confidence in DuVernay.

Has the been any information/rumours about writers?

21. Rorschach2012

Rorschach2012 I'll Cancel the Pizzas

Yeah definitely. I think this story could be culturally relevant in a similar way to Black Panther. Slavery is America’s greatest regret and Barda and Mister Miracle were both enslaved on Apokolips. Theirs is an extremely empowering story, and maybe that’s an angle that Ava is interested in exploring.

22. Gamma Goliath

Gamma Goliath Engine of Destruction

Let's hope so.

23. HBarnill

HBarnill Well-Known Member

No. It’s tied with the Native American genocide and the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  24. Aurakles

How about we all agree the US has done terrible things and move on?

Barda and Scott are also refugees, fleeing their hell like homeland and coming to the US.

25. WhoMani

WhoMani Well-Known Member

Now the New Gods movie is starting to sound more interesting if they explore themes of enslavement as I always thought that New Gods was essentially about free will with characters like Orion, Big Barda and Scott Free.