New Gods. Ava DuVernay to direct

Vision mini-series and Batman Annual #2 were so ****ing grimdark too... :o

We're on the Internet. People don't like one thing someone's done, and they completely write off said person.
Just look @ what happened to the director of The Lost Boys and Falling Down. After The Avengers everyone was kneeling down before Joss Whedon, after the Avengers: Age of Ultron he had suddenly commited mass murder.
Hell, it's even cool to hate on Frank Miller now.
There should be classes on objective thinking around the world, and when once you have your diploma, you can start writing on the Interwebz.

What about Rebecca Ferguson for Big Barda? Or Lizzy Caplan.

Tom King has definitely done some things I'm not fond of (e.g. Heroes in Crisis), but as far as I can tell he isn't exclusively one type of writer: he adapts based on the story, characters, and canon he has to work with. It's obvious he got this gig because of his work on Mister Miracle which, as I understand it, was well-received and not grim. Perhaps those who are concerned about King should seek out his MM run for insight and reassurance.

I've read it. It's grim and pretentious and violent as hell. He basically pulled 100% character assassination on Orion and Lightray. It's completely grim dark apart from Scott and Barda. The movie will be trash.

I think it’s already been suggested and is cliche but Gwendolin Christie for Big Barda

We're on the Internet. People don't like one thing someone's done, and they completely write off said person.
Just look @ what happened to the director of The Lost Boys and Falling Down. After The Avengers everyone was kneeling down before Joss Whedon, after the Avengers: Age of Ultron he had suddenly commited mass murder.
There should be classes on objective thinking around the world, and when once you have your diploma, you can start writing on the Interwebz.
Frank Miller deserves all the hate he's getting since The Dark Knight Strikes Again.

This movie sounds like one of those things that sound good on paper but the execution is going to be awful. King and Duvernay have the exact same issues as writers. I have no faith in this movie whatsoever.

I have a feeling this isn’t going to be the LOTR esque epic that some want. I think this is going to have a fairly low budget and will be primarily set on Earth. I’m positive we will see New Genesis and Apokolips, but I think this story will find Barda and Mister Miracle taking refuge and having to adjust to life on earth

This movie sounds like one of those things that sound good on paper but the execution is going to be awful. King and Duvernay have the exact same issues as writers. I have no faith in this movie whatsoever.
Ava just did a universally acclaimed Netflix mini series, and Tom King is a great writer.

Two words: Holy Terror.

Ava just did a universally acclaimed Netflix mini series, and Tom King is a great writer.
A mini series that's absolutely nothing like a project like New Gods. Just because you're good at making documentaries or biopics doesn't mean you'll be good at doing fantasy. To cite an extreme example, Andrei Knochalovsky was good at making those types of content but when he attempted to do something else with Nutcracker 3D that backfired. Craig Mazin did a masterful TV series with Chernobyl yet all his work outside of that and into the fiction realm has been mediocre at best, crap at worst. The intuitions a screenwriter that knows how to adapt real life events into entertaining yet informative pieces of media and the intuitions of a screenwriter that knows how to something a bit more mainstream with action and fantasy elements are entirely different.

The closest thing Ava has ever done to something like New Gods is A Wrinkle in Time, and that sucked. Also, King tends to fall flat on his face or at least be controversial as hell whenever he shoots for the stars like in Heroes in Crisis and his Batman run. Also, King's dialogue sucks and while it may work for some people in a comic, in a movie it'd translate really strangely. The man has a very specific voice that he doesn't know how to shut up so all his characters sound the same and based on the way Ava handled dialogue and actors in A Wrinke in Time I have a feeling all they're going to do is feed on each other worst tendencies.

Both Ava and King may be able to do some great work in the right circumtances but both have serious glaring flaws in their process. If the film comes out and is a masterpiece then I'll be pleasantly surprised but so far nothing about this project makes me confident.

Two words: Holy Terror.

So...?
Walter Hill has made some ****ty movies lately. Should I start hating and ****ting on him as a man and artist? Nope!
Even if Frank Miller has written some bad stories lately, he's ultimately still a GREAT and LEGENDARY writer. Doesn't mean it's fair to discredit him and **** on his entire career.

So...?
Walter Hill has made some ****ty movies lately. Should I start hating and ****ting on him as a man and artist? Nope!
Even if Frank Miller has written some bad stories lately, he's ultimately still a GREAT and LEGENDARY writer. Doesn't mean it's fair to discredit him and **** on his entire career.
No one said he's never done anything good, but time has not been kind on the constant sexism, racism, homophobia, Islamaphobia, xenophobia and fascist tendencies that have plagued his work, Holy Terror being perhaps the most overt example. He did some game changing work, but that doesn't make him and it beyond criticism.

Darkseid - Bardem
Mister Miracle - Oscar Isaac
Granny Goodness - Kathy Bates
Desaad - Allie Allen
Oberon - Danny DeVito

I think DuVernays previous work make her well suited for this film.
Jack Kirbys Fourth World stories are allegories for real world issues, such as those dealt with in Selma and When They See Us.

People living under oppression, struggling for rights their society doesn't want them to have.
Young people being bullied, threatened, intimidated and tricked by a cruel establishment.
The effects of imprisonment and marginalisation.

These are things DuVrnay has explored that are very much part of Mr Miracles and Big Bardas story.

Honestly, I don't care if someone can do cooler looking space battles, for me the characters and the messaging is far more important.

Darkseid - Bardem
Mister Miracle - Oscar Isaac
Granny Goodness - Kathy Bates
Desaad - Allie Allen
Oberon - Danny DeVito
Oscar Isaac in full Inside Llewyn Davis mode as Scott Free would be perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"