New Joe Fridays Week 26 Dan Slott's New Book announced

Dread said:
I agree. I mean Marvel spent a lot of years in the 90's just boosting on the X-Men and letting their other franchises go to seed. CIVIL WAR may not be perfect but it at least adds to Marvel (and Joe's) refocused effort on the rest of the universe. Had some bungles, sure, plenty. But there have also been successes.

A slight boost to get the X-Men back in buisness and Joe cracking down on his employees' tardiness and Marvel might be in buisness to be on an awsome track. If I were Joe, I'd have fired quite a few guys already. I'd start with Kevin Smith and Bryan Singer. Nothing would change since they're never around anyhow, but people would be like... "Oh crap.. Joe's cracking down. I better get my stuff in sooner." Then Marvel would be great :)

Seriously though, Civil War has done something that I didn't expect Marvel to do... and that's put the "other" marvel characters in the lime light. The Avengers, the Fantastic Four, Black Panther, The New Warriors, Ms. Marvel, Spiderman, and so many other Marvel characters suddenly have people's attention. They have an opterunity to make their company explode and put out some great books. As you said, there's some blunders, but this has been an amazing jump for the company. I really hope they keep it going.

Even those not related suddenly got more interesting. Planet Hulk's been doing well, Annhilation's sparked interest in the cosmic characters again. X-Men's been lagging, but some titles have been shining individually, like New X-Men and X-Factor. Even Uncanny has improved since Bru's come on. Even the nobody characters and titles have been good (Beyond!, Runaways, etc.)

Marvel has their foot in a lot of people's doors now, let's see if they can step the rest of the way in.

The_Mystery said:
How many frickin' Avengers series are we gonna have?! Why flood the market with one type of book? I just don't get it.

Heh... the new "X"

Truthfully, something these Avengers titles seem to have lately that other books that flooded the market didnt' have is diversity. The influx of Spidey books had... well, Spidey. The influx of X-Titles were all X-Related characters and they stayed in their corner. Avengers pull in some X-Men titles, some Spidey, some nobodies like Sentry and Luke. These new titles are pulling in Ares and who knows who else. It's like they've become the melding pot of the Marvel Universe and I like it.

I also like how the X-Universe is starting to branch out. With Wolverine joining New Avengers, Penance joining Loners (Excelsior) and
Storm
joining the Fantastic Four... they're branching beyond Xavier's school. I have a hunch that a few X-Men are going to be staying with the Starjammers over in Uncanny, and that could branch them into future cosmic stories... but we'll see on that. Personally, this is something I've wanted to see for a long time.

The_Mystery said:
How many frickin' Avengers series are we gonna have?! Why flood the market with one type of book? I just don't get it.
Silence! It represents Dan Slott's best shot at success yet! Worship it!

JewishHobbit said:
A slight boost to get the X-Men back in buisness and Joe cracking down on his employees' tardiness and Marvel might be in buisness to be on an awsome track. If I were Joe, I'd have fired quite a few guys already. I'd start with Kevin Smith and Bryan Singer. Nothing would change since they're never around anyhow, but people would be like... "Oh crap.. Joe's cracking down. I better get my stuff in sooner." Then Marvel would be great :)

Indeed, I get the feeling Joe Q is a "nice" guy, but that may be the problem when it comes to expecting deadlines from people. And lateness even effected his own work; DAREDEVIL: FATHER #6 sold at #86 in November, which is far less than what past issues were sellin' (and worse than DR. STRANGE: OATH #2 at least).

Seriously though, Civil War has done something that I didn't expect Marvel to do... and that's put the "other" marvel characters in the lime light. The Avengers, the Fantastic Four, Black Panther, The New Warriors, Ms. Marvel, Spiderman, and so many other Marvel characters suddenly have people's attention. They have an opterunity to make their company explode and put out some great books. As you said, there's some blunders, but this has been an amazing jump for the company. I really hope they keep it going.

Even those not related suddenly got more interesting. Planet Hulk's been doing well, Annhilation's sparked interest in the cosmic characters again. X-Men's been lagging, but some titles have been shining individually, like New X-Men and X-Factor. Even Uncanny has improved since Bru's come on. Even the nobody characters and titles have been good (Beyond!, Runaways, etc.)

Marvel has their foot in a lot of people's doors now, let's see if they can step the rest of the way in.
I stated as much before. For all it's flaws, it's spotlighted most of the MU, whereas X-events just focus on the X-Men. Annihilation has the space people. The A-Listers are being written a bit off base but a lot of B, C, and D List characters have seen a boost in popularity and focus this year, and there is no denying that.

Dread said:
The A-Listers are being written a bit off base but a lot of B, C, and D List characters have seen a boost in popularity and focus this year, and there is no denying that.
Indeed, several of Marvel's lower-tier characters have been successfully (to varying degrees) relaunched this year.

Joe said:
if there's anything that I've learned the hard way over these past six years is that you can't judge anything, I mean nothing, by online reviews or online fan reaction.

Joe said:
Well, the Iron Spidey costume design seemed to be reviled by everyone here on Newsarama, so why would we ever bring it back?

Kinda contradicts himself there a little doesn't he?

6 issues. Shows how much faith they have in him after all the shytestorm Quesadilla worked up, huh?

6 issues with the potential of continuing, depending on sales.

Tropico said:
6 issues. Shows how much faith they have in him after all the shytestorm Quesadilla worked up, huh?
Isn't that basically what they do for everyone short of Bendis, JMS, Millar, Brubaker, etc.? At least they're consistent.

Good to see you again, Corpy. I made the comment because Quesadilla made that big noise about how Dan is now up to the caliber of those other writers you said were the exception. So, no, they're not consistent. The only way you can use consistent and Quesada in the same sentence is that he's consistent in his inconsistencies.

Damn that blew the wind outta my sails, Dan Slott once again got jipted.

Tropico said:
Good to see you again, Corpy. I made the comment because Quesadilla made that big noise about how Dan is now up to the caliber of those other writers you said were the exception. So, no, they're not consistent. The only way you can use consistent and Quesada in the same sentence is that he's consistent in his inconsistencies.

I think its hilarious how he says hes the biggest unknown writer they have. Um dude, I guess you missed the thousands upon thousands of internet blogs, posts, forums, web pages, e-mails clamoring for Slott on a Spider-Man title.

Yeah, but the internets counts for nothing. Except cracking it in half.:rolleyes:

Well, don't forget according to him, there's only like 5 people on the net who say those things...they just post on different boards all over the place.

Everythime I see your avvy, I wanna dance.

Quick notes:
AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE is 6 issues because both Tom Brevoort and I want it to be 6 issues. At the retreat Joe Quesada, Bendis, and others were pushing for the book to be an ongoing. It was Tom and myself that put the brakes on that. WE want to see what the reaction is first. If people are digging it, and the sales warrant we'll do more. Honest.

Stefano's art is really going to blow people away on this one. As the book gets closer and closer to coming out-- and Marvel releases more AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE preview art online-- I am positive everyone's going to be heralding Stefano Caselli as the next big thing.

This is NOT going to be "just another Avengers book". I think people are going to get very different reads out of BOTH of Bendis AVENGERS titles-- and what we're doing over in AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE will be its own thing as well. Just think about the X-Books and how different in flavor a title like X-FACTOR is from UNCANNY-- or how different EXILES is from ASTONISHING.

And, yes, everytime I see Roughneck's avvy, I wanna dance too.

I don't wanna dance, I just want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. [/fat]

Forgive me, but is that really Dan Slott above DP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"