New planets in solar system.

If scientists cannot even agree on the definition of the word planet, how can they find more?

They just want to add more planets to the solar system, even if they don't know if it's a planet or moon.

That would make Caltech researcher Mike Brown, who found 2003 UB313, formally the discoverer of the 12th planet. But he thinks it's a lousy idea.
"It's flattering to be considered discoverer of the 12th planet," Brown said in a telephone interview.

He applauded the committee's efforts but said the overall proposal is "a complete mess." By his count, the definition means there are already 53 known planets in our solar system, with countless more to be discovered.

They should name the new planets Heaven, Hell, and Nirvana.

I always thought Odin would be a good name for a planet

JLBats said:
They should name the new planets Heaven, Hell, and Nirvana.

That would be awesome, but will probably get religion people mad. Ex. Wanna go to heaven? Just take the space shuttle and you'll get there in 200 years.:o

Ducktales, a woah-oh:eek:

This doesn't make sense. How is Charon a planet? It's Pluto's moon, and it says right in the new definition that it can't be a satellite of another planet.

this really shouldn't be this difficult but people have strange ideas about things. and they are in a position to have a say. personally i'd do it based on orbit. then i'd just teach from largest to smallest until they couldn't be bothered to go any further. call them all space masses.

Well the whole 12 planet thing is a jump ahead because they're also considering the option of demoting Pluto therefore we'll have 8 planets

They have been named.
The one in the Asteroid Belt is named Ceres.
The 11th is Charon, Pluto's moon.
and the 12th is named Xena. And yes they did get it from where you're thinking of.

kingman said:
Well the whole 12 planet thing is a jump ahead because they're also considering the option of demoting Pluto therefore we'll have 8 planets

I've heard that too. I've also heard that it was a comet that got temporarily captured by the sun's gravity and will eventually go spinning off into space again... :eek:

My Very Easy Method Certainly Just Speeds Up Naming Planets ('Cept Xena)

Got The Kids Covered:up:

About time.And either way,publishers dont get comfy,cuz you'll either have to change the books from 9 to 8 or 9 to 12.

NASA Forgot to mention what was found behind the possible planet Xena

gigan1.jpg

randor.gif

vert.bass.ap.jpg

Earth Is Doomed :(

musclesforsupes said:
NASA Forgot to mention what was found behind the possible planet Xena

gigan1.jpg

randor.gif

vert.bass.ap.jpg

Earth Is Doomed :(

Somehow, this doesn't feel like a muscles post. I'm not sure why:confused:

That would make Caltech researcher Mike Brown, who found 2003 UB313, formally the discoverer of the 12th planet. But he thinks it's a lousy idea.
"It's flattering to be considered discoverer of the 12th planet," Brown said in a telephone interview.

He applauded the committee's efforts but said the overall proposal is "a complete mess." By his count, the definition means there are already 53 known planets in our solar system, with countless more to be discovered.

What a joke. Those guys really ought to rethink their definitions of what constitutes a planet if there are already so many objects that would qualify.

I think that a lot of it has to do with their not wanting to reclassify Pluto because it no longer meets the criterea for being classified as a planet. Think of all the books that would have to be changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"