New X-Men Trilogy Book

Retroman

Avenger
Reaction score
Found this at sequart.org (Sequart Research & Literacy Organization). A new book called Mutant Cinema: The X-Men Trilogy from Comics.

Not sure if it's available yet and where it can be orderd.

2frontfinalxw6.png

The second book of the line will be Mutant Cinema: The X-Men Trilogy from Comics to Screen by Hollywood insider Thomas J. McLean. The book offers the definitive study of the three X-Men films, directed by Bryan Singer and Brett Ratner. It contains scene-by-scene examinations of all three films, including notes on scenes cut from the films. The book also examines their sometimes controversial development process, their prequel comics (which featured exclusive content), their popular and critical reception, and more.

Mutant Cinema: The X-Men Trilogy from Comics to Screen runs 312 pages and carries a cover price of $22.99. It is scheduled to be available for order in late June.
Source:http://www.sequart.org/news/?story=1908

This could be an interesting read. I'm sure it won't say anything we haven't said already, but interesting to see it printed in black and white!

I read The Art of X3 last night. It ended up irritating me. Ratner says things that don't seem to be accurate reflections of the finished movie, the storyboards show loads of stuff that never made it into the movie. :down

looks cool...i`d like to check it out

as long as its not released and liscensed by fox and marvel, then I'm in.

The book also examines their sometimes controversial development process,
Uuh, might there something new behind-the-scenes-drama that we don't already know?

Update...

Mutant Cinema Coming Soon

by Julian Darius 4 Mar 2008 at 17:54 EST
(updated 4 Mar 2008 at 21:21 EST)

Sequart's newest book, Thomas J. McLean's Mutant Cinema: The X-Men Trilogy from Comics to Screen, has gone to press and will be available for purchase soon.

The book examines the X-Men film trilogy from the ground up and is the definitive unauthorized study of the popular movies, tracing their origins, history, and impact. The book features scene-by-scene examinations of each film and their comic book origins, with additional chapters on the history of X-Men comic books; previous adaptations, including early cartoon appearances, the 1990s animated series, and early attempts to bring them to the big screen; the development process for each film, behind-the-scenes stories, and details on omitted scenes and storylines; critical and fan reception of each film, plus box office performance; and what the future may hold for the franchise.

The book is part of our organization's continued effort both in promoting comics research and in outreach to non-comics readers. Despite the enormous success of comic book movies, only a fraction of those movie-goers have explored the original comic books in any depth. Just as with novels adapted into movies, these original comic books are often better than their movie translation, and the differences illuminate both versions. Studying these comics is not only essential to understanding these movies but also helps readers appreciate of the unique medium of comic books.

The book should be available for purchase online in a few weeks. It runs 324 pages and retails for $23.95. Its cover is by Xeric award winner and Sequart house artist Kevin Colden.

Mutant Cinema is our second book since relaunching our book line last year.
Source:http://www.sequart.org/news/?story=2101

oh yea I forgot about this. I definitely want to get this.

I want this too! Keep this thread updated guys, so we don't forget about it!

i wish i could buy it, but mom would never let me :( someone gift it to me on my birthday :D

hehe, I find a better book the Angel and Rogue one, do you have it? :woot:

i really want this book so that i can have written and published documentation of the crap from behind the scenes of xmen 3.

plus all the other neat stuff...

i really want this book so that i can have written and published documentation of the crap from behind the scenes of xmen 3.

plus all the other neat stuff...

exactly, maybe there is some artwork that haven't been shown yet...

Possibly. Also, each chapter regarding the development of the films is only 6 pages long, so I don’t think there will be much new information revealed that we don’t already know. Still, the book looks like a nice compilation of the history of the films and their relationship to the books. Here’s a breakdown of the different chapters and page numbers.

Introduction—1
Chapter 1: A History of the X-Men Comic Books—7
Chapter 2: Previous Adaptations of the X-Men—33

Chapter 3: Development of “X-Men”—41
Chapter 4: “X-Men” Prequel Comics—47
X-Men Movie Prequel Magneto—48
X-Men Movie Prequel Wolverine—51
X-Men Movie Prequel Rogue—54
Chapter 5: “X-Men” 2000—59
Act 1—60
Act 2—80
Act 3—99
Epilogues—111
Chapter 6: Reaction to “X-Men”—115
Chapter 7: Box Office for “X-Men”—121

Chapter 8: Development of “X2”—125
Chapter 9: “X2 Prequel Comics”—131
X-Men 2 Prequel: Wolverine—131
X-Men 2 Prequel: Nightcrawler—133
Chapter 10: “X2” (2003)—139
Act 1—140
Act 2—167
Act 3—183
Chapter 11: Reaction to “X2”—205
Chapter 12: Box Office for “X2”—209

Chapter 13: Development of “X-Men: The Last Stand”—213
Chapter 14: “X-Men: The Last Stand” (2006)—219
Act 1—220
Act 2—249
Act 3—258
Chapter 15: Reaction to “X-Men: The Last Stand”—275
Chapter 16: Box Office for “X-Men: The Last Stand”—281
Chapter 17: The Franchise’s Future—287

References and Further Reading—291

Here's the link to the above information. It gives a 7 page preview of the book for those interested. Among the chapter information, there's also a List of Illustrations page and a sample of what one of the illustration pages looks like. The flash preview may take a while to load depending on your connection.

http://www.lulu.com/content/1734315

What happened with this book? My email inquiry bounced back undelivered. Did this book ever appear?

would be nice if it went into the details of how Fox/Rothman's influence affected the movies and how they were made. :(

I've been the book now and am up to the chapter where their analyzing X2 and so far it's interesting with little tidbits here and there that it's made me rewatch my DVD's again.

i wondered what the hell hapened to this. everytime i think about it, the thread dissappears

An article about the book that expands on the ideas for Singer's X3...

STORY ideas for Bryan Singer's third X-Men movie - which he abandoned to make Superman Returns - have surfaced in a book which goes behind the scenes of Fox's hit film franchise.

Brett Ratner (pictured above on set with Patrick Stewart) was eventually hired to take on the X-Men project, with a script by Zak Penn and Simon Kinberg, and the resulting film, X-Men: The Last Stand, came out in May 2006.

Author Thomas McClean's book Mutant Cinema: The X-Men Trilogy From Comics to Screen answers some of the questions raised by fans, who have been desperate to find out what Singer and his own writers Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty had been planning for their unmade version of the third film.

Dougherty had already revealed some time ago that they had wanted to cast Sigourney Weaver as Emma Frost, a comic book psychic who would be remagined as an empath able to control people's emotions. Some reports have suggested that Frost would have been an old flame of Xavier and would have emotionally manipulated a resurrected, unstable Jean Grey into the evil Dark Phoenix.

McLean's book adds new information:

Dougherty says the resolution of the Phoenix plot would definitely have been a major part of their version: "The main element for me was Jean coming back and learning how much power she could wield - that she just became overcome by it."

Dougherty says that many of the ideas he was considering, such as Magneto trying to use Phoenix as a weapon, ended up in the filmed version. He also says that the idea of Jean using Cyclops' power to kill herself was one they liked, though they would have made it clear that only Phoenix's body was dying. Her spirit would live on, evolving Jean past mutant and into a godlike cosmic state.

Dougherty likens it to the closing lines of Arthur C Clarke's novel 2001: A Space Odyssey in which the Star-Child that was astronaut David Bowman hovers over the Earth: "Then he waited, marshalling his thoughts and brooding over his still untested powers. For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next. But he would think of something."

Full article here: http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2008/11/x3lit.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"