New York Comic-Con '09 News & Announcements

Fine, fine, I'll leave Thunderstrike alone.

But, yeah, I agree that it is a little weird that Hitch's designs are now being canonized. Then Marvel editorial will claim no favoritism towards what "certain" creators do exists. :p
You know what I think we need? A return to the blue and whites.

So I'm away at rehearsal and this happens?

Hickman and Eaglesham on FF

The FF's costumes keep getting worse and worse, but I think I'll give Hickman and Eaglesham's run a try.

:wow: I've been waiting for this announcement!!

Dale Eaglesham draws a awesomely rugged Reed Richards. I don't know much about Jonathan Hickman's work, but this new creative team for the Fantastic Four has got me interested.

I like his Reed. He does look a little beefier.

Same here. :ff: :up:

Sweet.

I'm curious about Franklin levitating that ball of light. Some powers finally trickling through again? I hope so. Franklin as the useless little kid has been pretty boring for the past 10 years.

What's this about Valeria being super-smart now?

Hmmm. Maybe this is a precog thing? Like a crystal ball? Unless he manifests his powers the way he did back in Onslaught. Tons of options with a reality warper.

Hickman really impressed me with the first issue of Secret Warriors. I'm not sure how well that would translate to FF, but he and Eaglesham are both talents, so I can't wait to see what they put out.

Haven't read the Secret Warriors yet. Guess it's homework now.

The logical point would be to keep the Four loosely connected to the space books, as they are supposed to deal with a lot of space stuff, but I doubt that is happening. Still, Hickman's JSA experience is positive, and I liked that sketch.

Franklin Richards needs to grow the **** up and help in adventures. If he was a DC character, he would be at least 20 and have been a founding Teen Titans by now, and no one would care about his parents not aging. Does anyone care that Dick Grayson aged about 10 years while Batman's barely aged 5? No. At the very least after over 40 years, Frankie can hit 13-14 and enter high school.

Space will come. As for the JSA... I'm drawing a blank on which arc he did.

Franklin will be forced to grow up now because of Valeria. Don't worry.

Well, he should be, he's like 10 years older than she is. Can she talk and everything?

She apparantly was faking all her little girl routine stuff recently. All the Secret Invasion FF stuff was her being a little kid. Then the timeline gets wonky because Valeria reveals herself to Old Sue during the Millar Hitch run. Which is supposed to be before the Secret Invasion.

Anywho she faked her childishness because she started using Dad's Futurist crap to conclude that the family dynamic would fall apart because of her intel. Apparantly something to do with Franklin and her relationship.

So Old Sue helped knock that Civil War thinking out of her mind and now she's coping with the situation.

So far Franklin and Valeria's relationship has been typical. Conspirators. Rivals. Siblings. Friends.

Valeria is becoming very interesting for the 4.

Eaglesham's perfect for this book, but I hate his costume designs for them.

After living through the era where Sue had a cutout over her cleavage, I'm diggin' the Red Lantern versions of the FF costumes.

Hmm. Well, at least it's better than being a stereotypically useless superhero's kid.

Valeria will prolly be your new favorite member of the FF. She's becoming fun.

Fine, fine, I'll leave Thunderstrike alone.

But, yeah, I agree that it is a little weird that Hitch's designs are now being canonized. Then Marvel editorial will claim no favoritism towards what "certain" creators do exists.

I'm not getting into Thunderstrike. Heh.

Don't exaggerate, Dread. The FF and their uniforms shift from time to time. Hitch's aren't being canonized any more than Byrne's Negative Zone costumes were. Besides new artists usually bring over a little of the style from previous artists, whether it be costumes or hair.

I kinda like the short sleeves. It's definately new.

I like the latest Fantastic Four costumes. They look distinct without trying to be "dark" and messing with what's an iconic outfit.

There ya go.

You know what I think we need? A return to the blue and whites.

Only if Byrne comes back and does a maxi-arc in space. :D

:ff: :ff: :ff:

So, the notable stuff for me:

- Greg Rucka and J.H. Williams III's Detective Comics with Batwoman
- Paul Cornell and Mark Brooks's Dark Reign: Young Avengers
- Craig Kyle, Chris Yost, and Gabrielle Dell'Otto's X-Force: Sex and Violence
- Probably stick around on Fantastic Four after Millar & Hitch leave to see what Hickman & Eaglesham do.

Batman Cacophony just wrapped, but it was a great read. I really hope that this is (as Didio has suggested) the start of a fruitful new relationship between Kevin Smith and DC. Smith had two issues in the can before the book was even announced, and all three issues shipped on time.

Issue 3 came out!? When did this happen? :wow:

I just looked on DC's site, and it's not solicited for release until the end of February. :huh:

Last edited:
Issue 3 came out!? When did this happen? :wow:

I just looked on DC's site, and it's not solicited for release until the end of February. :huh:
You're right. I thought I had already picked that up for some reason. The fact that I haven't read it should have been a clue to the contrary, since I knew I hadn't read it when I was writing that.

Wow, that's probably the biggest brain fart I've had in a long time.

Damn, you scared me there for a second. I thought it had came out and I'd missed it. :(

Soooo...is Young X-Men the shortest-lived X-book ever? And are we all super pumped that the Scott Summers/Jean Grey romance is gonna get rehashed again?

Generation X had a fairly healthy run I think, actually. 75 issues or so I believe.

How long did Generation X last?

:thing: :doom: :thing:
75 issues. Young X-Men is cancelled with #12. That's not a very close call.

Generally, I'm very pleased with the announcements from DC, and also pretty excited by the X-direction (Scott/Jean/Emma bulls*** aside, natch.)

The most exciting news out of NYCC so far, to me, has been Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 2 under the Ultimate Comics imprint. I still want to see how they intend on making this canon Spider-Woman digital comic work out. Everything else elicits a wide range of responses, from "maybe I'll check it out" all the way to "I'll skip out on this."

Soooo...is Young X-Men the shortest-lived X-book ever? And are we all super pumped that the Scott Summers/Jean Grey romance is gonna get rehashed again?

Generally, I'm very pleased with the announcements from DC, and also pretty excited by the X-direction (Scott/Jean/Emma bulls*** aside, natch.)

Jean isn't coming back any time soon, and there haven't been any announcements stating otherwise, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Yeah, where are the announcements that Jean is comming back :huh:

Which is probably why New Mutants is getting a re-launch, only one of the "junior" x-men titles to gain pretty big success. Even though I dont think they can be considered a junior team anymore seeing as theyve grown up a bit.

Hickman gets put on a flagship marvel title straight out the gate.Kudos to Marvel for taking chances on young up and coming talent.

Eaglesham too?Geez,who the heck does DC have left to draw their books? :D

I'll probably start picking Fantastic Four back up now that Millar is off the title. I just didn't like what he was doing with the series.

Millar's FF is pretty damn good actually, he's got some wild sci-fi concepts floating around in there that are perfect for the FF. And Hitch's art is awesome, not quite as good as it was on Ultimates but still awesome.

I think Jubilee wins that honor. What was it, 5 issues? 6 maybe?

Millar's FF is pretty damn good actually, he's got some wild sci-fi concepts floating around in there that are perfect for the FF. And Hitch's art is awesome, not quite as good as it was on Ultimates but still awesome.

Millar gets an A+ for his ideas and concepts. They're really far out which are suited for Fantastic Four.

However, I give him a B-/C+ for execution. There's just something missing, I don't like the way he's writing Dr. Doom, and I absolutely hate that he has the Thing getting married to some random chick over Alicia. Just what the hell happened that they're not together anymore :cmad:.

Also, Hitch's art while awesome, is completely unsuited for this book like Eaglesham is. And I absolutely abhore his designs. Just stick with the classic look for the Fantastic Four dammit.

Mark Millar, in my opinion, is an event writer. He's admitted before that he's more enamored with ideas than characterization, and it shows in his work. It doesn't mean his work is bad, as I've come to conclude. He just doesn't invest much into the build-up process. The same could be said of Geoff Johns over at the Distinguished Competition, but to a lesser degree.

Hitch goes 50/50 for me. I like his widescreen panel approach, but I feel he shades and hatches in his art to an unnecessary extent.

4 I believe.
Well then that's a shorter-lived X-book. Still, 12 issues is a pretty crappy run. I'm surprised that even Marvel would can Young X-Men that fast. Was it selling that bad? Or is this one of those "We always intended to cancel the new Flash book after 13 issues we had you fooled roffleroffleroffle."

As for the Jean Grey stuff, I guess when they say they're going to have a big resurrection of an old favorite with red hair and green eyes, I think of Jean Grey. I mean, they've been teasing it for awhile now, so why not just do it and ruin Scott's relationship with Emma. They've certainly been teasing a breakup of Scott and Emma as well.

Hickman gets put on a flagship marvel title straight out the gate.Kudos to Marvel for taking chances on young up and coming talent.

Eaglesham too?Geez,who the heck does DC have left to draw their books? :D
Being friends with Bendis has its benefits.
Mark Millar, in my opinion, is an event writer. He's admitted before that he's more enamored with ideas than characterization, and it shows in his work. It doesn't mean his work is bad, as I've come to conclude. He just doesn't invest much into the build-up process. The same could be said of Geoff Johns over at the Distinguished Competition, but to a lesser degree.
Johns may have become an event writer, but read anything with the Flash's Rogues and then tell me he's not interested in characterization. Also, Johns' events at least tend to have some subtext. Millar picks a topic and builds an event that is pure, empty spectacle around it. Civil War: Heroes vs. heroes. Old Man Logan: Wolverine becomes an angsty Clint Eastwood in the future. Enemy of the State: Wolverine would kick everyone's ass as a villain and I'm gonna prove it.

As far as I'm concerned, his work is definitely bad. A fun, empty, surface-level spectacle is fine once in a while, but it's every single time with Millar.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"