The Wolverine News & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's expected that the shooting for this to get delayed but the possibility of most of the movie being filming in Canada with little to none in Japan is a bummer, there's really nothing you can do though, it's just that it won't feel the same filming in the real city, oh well.

Since November is a little over two months away and we've heard absolutely nothing about sets being built, crews hired and actors cast, no this isn't surprising. Whatsoever. Quite the opposite, this was expected.

If they manage to get production going by the end of next summer, I'd say we're looking at a Memorial Day 2013 opening weekend.
Against Leafmen another FOX movie, I don't think that would happen. Unless Leafmen is a placeholder for Wolverine.

2013 sounds like a lock now and its the best way to go. So far the summer line-up goes: IRON MAN 3 (May 3), MOMMY & ME (May 10), SINGULARITY (May 17), FAST 6 (May 24), TURBO (June 7), THE MAN OF STEEL (June 14), MONSTERS UNIVERSITY (June 21), R.I.P.D. (June 28), DESPICABLE ME 2 (July 3), PACIFIC RIM (July 12), OBLIVION (July 19), THOR II (July 26) & THE SMURFS 2 (August 2). Wolverine can still nab the May 31st spot if FOX hurries up and makes an announcement already. Paramount already signed the Star Trek cast so they'll be announcing a date soon and probably gunning for May 31st as well. *The most money an X-Men film ever made was for X3 which premiered May 26 so it would definitely be a good omen.
May 24 - Leafmen

Just give Wolverine the first week of June release.

Against Leafmen another FOX movie, I don't think that would happen. Unless Leafmen is a placeholder for Wolverine.
Leafmen comes out May 17. A 2 week window between Leafmen and The Wolverine would work fine for FOX, specially since one's a children's movie and the other a CBM/action picture. Plus, May 31st is the only spot where the film will have zero competition from other popcorn properties. Fast 6 will have fallen to #2 on its second weekend and I think Wolverine can stay at #1 two weeks until Superman's arrival on June 14 where it'll drop to #2. I see it pulling in at least $90 Million opening weekend & being at $130 by the end of its third weekend. Overall Domestic I'd put it in the $200 - $220 Million range with $400 - $450 worldwide. Jackman will carry the film's numbers opening weekend while good word of mouth will do what it did for Fast Five & give it solid legs. First Class just needed that extra $30 Million weekend opening boost Jackman's starpower will bring.

Last edited:
Its to early to call no competition. We still got other possible movies for Summer 2013. Are you sure with Leafmen, isn't in the 24th?

All I care about is that they make a decent film. I'd rather not see it rushed. :)

yep i don't want a rushed wolverine film i want a nice movie with good character developement good acting good script and good directing and good action

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118042116?refCatId=13

'Total Recall' scribe rewriting 'Wolverine'
Mark Bomback will retool script for Fox superhero sequel
By Jeff Sneider

EXCLUSIVE: Mark Bomback, the scribe who wrote Bryan Singer's "Jack the Giant Killer" and Len Wiseman's "Total Recall," is adding one more tentpole to his resume, as he's been brought on to rewrite Christopher McQuarrie's script for 20th Century Fox's superhero sequel "The Wolverine."

Hugh Jackman is set to reprise his role as the heroic mutant in the action pic, which reteams the Aussie actor with his "Kate & Leopold" helmer James Mangold.

Story will find Wolverine suffering from amnesia and searching for answers about his past in the Japanese criminal underworld where he finds both love and tragedy.

The entire cast will be comprised of Japanese and Japanese-American actors except for a newly-expanded character named Viper, who's the Caucasian secretary for Japan's Minister of Justice.

Jackman is producing with John Palermo and Lauren Shuler Donner. Production, which will take place in Tokyo and Vancouver, is expected to start next year after Jackman wraps Tom Hooper's "Les Miserables" for Universal.

Bomback is one of Fox's go-to scribes, having previously written "Live Free or Die Hard" and "Unstoppable" for the studio. He also scripted the Jackman-starrer "Deception" and has the action-thriller "Protection" in development at Fox-based banner Davis Entertainment.

Bomback is repped by WME and Anonymous Content.

This worries me. The script was supposed to be great. I hope they're not dumbing it down.

Kind of a last minute rewrite, innit? :(

This is bad.

I don't think it's possible to decide if it's 'bad' yet.

X-Men 2 had a rewrite from Harris/Dougherty and is regarded as the best of the series, First Class had a rewrite from Stentz/Miller then another from Vaughn/Goldman.

Rewrites are part of the biz. They even happen on set during filming :wow:

All that's changed is that we know about the process of filmmaking in such minute detail now because of the internet.

The writer's filmography doesn't really fill me with confidence.

nothing wrong with it being rewritten, still not a fan of it being based in the Japanese underworld
who the hell is Viper as well?

Logan was married to her briefly. :)

X-Men 2 had a rewrite from Harris/Dougherty and is regarded as the best of the series, First Class had a rewrite from Stentz/Miller then another from Vaughn/Goldman.

All that's changed is that we know about the process of filmmaking in such minute detail now because of the internet.

Vaughn has said several times that his rewrite with Goldman basically consisted of starting over.

The article didn't really specify, but I hope this a tweak and not a complete rewrite.

Since they pushed back production, why sit on your hands? Give the script a pass with a "script doctor" and see what happens! They still have the original on file. This couldn't hurt, I don't see what all the fanboy *****ing is about. Joss Whedon does this all the time and did it on Captain America. Not much gets changed but some points may be enhanced. I love the idea.

Hunter Rider, where did you hear about them shooting in Tokyo? Last I heard they were shooting the entire film in Vancouver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"