The Wolverine James Mangold will direct The Wolverine

Blader5489

CASUAL SEX!
Reaction score
http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/james-mangold-foxs-choice-for-the-wolverine/

EXCLUSIVE: James Mangold is 20th Century Fox's and star Hugh Jackman's choice to direct The Wolverine, ending one of the most competitive contests for a major studio film. Negotiations are about to get underway, but I'm told that Mangold will take the helming job on the sequel to the X-Men spinoff film, a post that became vacant when Darren Aronofsky dropped out of the film in March. I'd heard that Mangold was on a very short list coming into this week, along with Warrior director Gavin O'Connor and Brooklyn's Finest helmer Antoine Fuqua.

I've heard that Fox will look to start principal photography in the fall. Scripted by Christopher McQuarrie, The Wolverine takes place mostly in Japan. Mangold most recently directed the Tom Cruise-Cameron Diaz starrer Knight and Day for Fox, and before that 3:10 to Yuma and Walk the Line.

They chose the best director on that list that leaked out a couple of weeks ago. In my opinion James Mangold is a good director. All his films have been solid.

However, I get the feeling that FOX is going full steam ahead with Wolverine sequel because of X-men:FC disappointing boxoffice. Please fox stop making all these x-men spin off flicks. You are diluting the brand name. :cmad:

I ****ing love 3:10 to Yuma, but without Aronofsky, I no longer see the point of this. Who knows, it may turn out like First Class, but this news is hardly exciting.

Not bad. At least it wasn't McG. :cwink:

I ****ing love 3:10 to Yuma, but without Aronofsky, I no longer see the point of this. Who knows, it may turn out like First Class, but this news is hardly exciting.

Aronofsky has spoiled fanboys. No matter who they picked after his departure, fanboys would have complained.

I can't blame fox for his departure. This time it was the director who ditched the project because he officially could demand to direct any movie he wanted after delivering a 300+m WW hit, Black Swan that costed only 12m to make.

Aronofsky has spoiled fanboys. No matter who they picked after his departure, fanboys would have complained.

Ha, yes and yes. Even if the film somehow ends up being fantastic, this will always make the 'best films never made' lists.

Ha, yes and yes. Even if the film somehow ends up being fantastic, this will always make the 'best films never made' lists.

Eh not sure about that. James Mangold will be directing from the same script that Aronofsky would have so "best films never made" doesn't apply.

Eh not sure about that. They are using the same script Aronofsky would have directed so "best films never made" doesn't apply.

Yes it does. Same script or not, Aronofsky's involvement would have produced a different film.

I'm not bashing this new development. I like the director that has be chosen, but c'mon. You can't deny there will ALWAYS be a 'what if' article floating around every now and then.

I fully expected Fox to get this underway in the Fall. Certainly looks like a 2012 release after all. If it pans out, that puts ALL five of the biggest comic book franchises in the same year: Amazing Spider-Man, The Wolverine, Avengers, Man of Steel, and of course The Dark Knight Rises. That's a pretty packed year.

It better happen in the fall since Hugh was apparently offered the role of Jean Valjean in Les Miserables, and they also want to film by the end of the year, and I want him to do that movie too!

Hugh got a Golden Globe nomination for Kate & Leopold when Mangold directed him in that.

Good director, but still not interested in this.

I love how people talk about the oh-so-awesome Wolverine movie that Aronofsky never did. :doh:

Anyway...great news about finally getting a director. But dammit, this better not keep Hugh from doing the Les Miz movie. I will be so pissed if that happens. :argh:

I love how people talk about the oh-so-awesome Wolverine movie that Aronofsky never did. :doh:.

Look at his body of work and his reputation and tell me you don't want that Wolverine film. Also, it would have most likely been composed by Clint Mansell. Clint Mansell + Wolverine would have been pure :awesome:.

Btw, Fox should brace for another x-men related movie underperforming at the boxoffice. Next year is absolutely jam packed. I don't see how this movie will make as much as the first Wolverine movie. That and the movie sucked, which should prevent people from going in droves to watch the sequel. Does anyone know when this movie is releasing? Something tells me it's going to take Star Trek 2's spot because that movie is surely not coming out next summer!!

Personally, fox should stop with all this spin off nonsense. They should take a chance with X-men:FC sequel. That movie got great reviews and no doubt as time goes by, will gain more fans, making the sequel highly anticipated.

Look at his body of work and his reputation and tell me you don't want that Wolverine film. Also, it would have most likely been composed by Clint Mansell. Clint Mansell + Wolverine would have been pure :awesome:.

Sure I wanted that movie. But I'm over that now.

Anyway...great news about finally getting a director. But dammit, this better not keep Hugh from doing the Les Miz movie. I will be so pissed if that happens. :argh:

Totally agree.

This news sounds like a retaliation from FOX to the Les Miz announcement.

I'm sticking to my theory that Hugh knew the filming schedule for both movies - he's been saying for weeks now that Wolverine will film in October, and just last week I think he said in an interview he was going to "put his hand up" for Les Miz, so he had to know the filming schedule for that. Besides, there are a lot of scenes in Les Miz that Jean Valjean isn't in, so perhaps they can film those first if Hugh is still preoccupied with Wolverine.

Good choice.He has worked with Hugh and has done action.The big question will Fox
try to rush this for summer 2012 or let it come out In may 2013.

I for one never got so excited over Aronofsky doing It.I was more excited on Christopher Mcquarre having written It.And reading the script details.They got a good director who
has done action In the past.Maybe Fox will finally have a good X-Men film that Bryan Singer Isn't Involved In.

I'm sticking to my theory that Hugh knew the filming schedule for both movies - he's been saying for weeks now that Wolverine will film in October, and just last week I think he said in an interview he was going to "put his hand up" for Les Miz, so he had to know the filming schedule for that. Besides, there are a lot of scenes in Les Miz that Jean Valjean isn't in, so perhaps they can film those first if Hugh is still preoccupied with Wolverine.

I agree. I think both films will move forward as scheduled.

Copland, Identity, 3:10 to Yuma, Walk the Line, and yes even Knight and Day. I like Mangold's work. This movie might be salvageable if Fox keeps the interferance to a minimum (ahaha, like that'll happen)

I freaking love this choice! Mangold is a good director who's made some solid and a couple of great films!

I've always been interested in him directing a comic film and He was on my short list of directors of who I wanted for the new Superman film. I'm glad to see he'll be doing Wolverine.

I hope Singer will somehow get involved in this project as well

My guess it will come out in 2013 or winter 2012 and give man of steel a little competition.

Hmm I wanted Mangold for Wonder Woman(yes I know it won't ever get made now) but he's also great for a character like Wolverine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"