Nhl 11

Paroxysm

Superhero
Reaction score
500x_28682_432474965995_333387460995_6028896_4165412_n.jpg

[YT]O772KZSU4aA[/YT]
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/109/1098592p1.html
While it's true that we just previewed NHL 11 one week ago, now that I've played full five-on-five hockey for myself, I thought a quick update on the game's progress was warranted. So while we were previously confined to one-on-one hockey in order to properly demo the snazzy new physics that govern all of the on-ice action, EA Sports took off the restraints and opened it up to a full game of hockey for E3.

I was certainly impressed with the new physics capabilities in my first NHL 11 demo, and that feeling only grew once I got into a real game. Checks look fantastic, especially when the boards get involved. Players realistically roll and glance off of the boards, depending on the strength of the impact I was able to land. But the physics weren't confined to just interactions between players and the environment, they also seemed to perform well when two players collided on open ice. Everything feels like a real object with very little clipping taking place. One time I upended a player, only to have his leg get caught for a split-second under my arm. Not in an unnatural way, either. Just about everything looked exactly as it should.

In order to combat all of this crazy checking action, the developers from EA's Vancouver studio have given players a new quick deke ability. The mechanics are extraordinarily easy. All you have to do is hold the left shoulder button and flick the right analog stick to the right or left and your guy will pull off a deke. Of course, as soon as I successfully pulled off my first deke, I tried to take a wrist shot and wound up snapping my stick. It was a little disgruntling, but it was still pretty damn cool.

The final addition to NHL 11 to make its way into EA Sports' E3 demo was user-controlled celebrations. By using both the face buttons and triggers, players can access a large library of goal celebrations. The one I saw was essentially a guy sliding face-first down on the ice, hands outstretched. I was told there were plenty more to be had, but that's all I saw in my short demo at E3.

We'll have more info on NHL 11 as it becomes available. The game is scheduled to launch on September 14 on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

This sounds amazing. I also heard you can break your stick! :woot:

For the hockey fans who look forward to my blogs (I know of at least two and I am their son), sorry I have taken so long since my last one.

I have been very busy making not just one video game, but two. I had been the line producer of NHL 09 and NHL 10, but I have spread my wings a bit lately to include another sport: I am now the creative director for our hockey and basketball franchises here at EA Sports.

My role is to oversee the creative vision for both franchises and oversee the development and execution of that vision in our games. This year, these games are NHL 11 (for the XBOX 360 and PS3), NHL Slapshot (for the Wii), and NBA Elite 11 (for the XBOX 360 and PS3). My love of hockey (and an incredible team) has helped us make great hockey games. My love of video games (and a different incredible team) has helped us make a great basketball game.

Since this is a hockey site, though, I will concentrate on that part of my job.

NHL 11 is coming out Sept. 7th. This year NHL 11 has a major new mode called Hockey Ultimate Team. We wanted this mode to become the biggest online dynasty mode the world has ever seen. Think of it like a fantasy league, but where you get to actually play the games with your team. All of the players from more than 10 leagues around the world are available, including the NHL, American League, Canadian League and many Euro leagues. The players (around 4000 of them) are actually virtual hockey cards. You can earn them, buy them, sell them and trade them. Once you have your team, you put your players on the ice and play games against opponents from around the world.

I never got to do that with my Topps hockey cards – although I did get bubble gum so it probably evens out.

Here is how it works:

You are the GM and you get an expansion team in our online league called the EAUHL (EA Ultimate Hockey League). The first batch of cards you get are lower-level players with only a few NHLers. But the more games you play and the more games you win, the more pucks you will earn (the official EAUHL currency). With these pucks you can buy more card packs or go to the auction house and make trades for specific players. You can also earn or buy jerseys (including the rare Hartford Whalers jersey card).

You will also get training cards you can put on players. CHL players like Taylor Hall have 12 training card slots, so you can train them to become superstars. But, like in the real world, there is a salary cap; you can’t have every star player in your lineup. You have to be smart. Think you can do a better job than the GM of your favorite team? Here is your chance.

The best part is you take this team online to compete against the world in monthly seasons, monthly playoffs and tournaments. We estimate there will be around 500,000 GMs in this league all playing against each other online. The winners will be eligible for lots of cool real-world swag.

Who would be on your Ultimate Team?
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/34868-.html

The demo has been awesome, can't wait for the game!

I was kind of interested in this game. I tried to play the demo, but I had no idea what the hell I was doing. Sports games are often thought of as more casual fare, but honestly they're far more obtuse than any action game I've ever played.

I was kind of interested in this game. I tried to play the demo, but I had no idea what the hell I was doing. Sports games are often thought of as more casual fare, but honestly they're far more obtuse than any action game I've ever played.

Yea and unfortunately dev's are starting to see that and they are dumbing down their games. Madden 2011 is a prime example.

I dont understand whats wrong with having a steep learning curve, for any game really.

NHL 11 isn't that complex, once you get the controls down it's awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"