Nintendo President Iwata attacks retail pricing model

Zenien said:
It doesn't when it's just one person, but it does totally hurt and have an effect when it's millions of gamers.

until i hear ubisoft goes out of business because of used games, I'll say it doesnt affect them.

That is the worst logic I have ever read on this board.

I buy games when I decide to, not when some company tells me to.

If I want to pick up a used copy instead of the new copy, that's my perogative as a consumer.

i think it's a good idea, in a way. i'd expand it so that the price drops once production costs are covered.

Zenien said:
That is the worst logic I have ever read on this board.

not really. if you say that it hurts them, then i should expect development companies to go out of business. and apparently they dont have a problem with consumers purchasing used games or else we would have them up in arms about it, like the RIAA and piracy.

GoldenAgeHero said:
i buy used games all the time. the only time i buy new games is when i first buy a console, everything afterwards i buy used. metroid, pandora's tomorrow, xmen legends 1 and 2 are all used. if i dont have the money to buy them new, then i go used, dont see a problem with that. and like vader says its not gonna hurt either company. people are still gonna use the virtual console although roms and emulaters are out there.

I only buy Games used when I am not sure wether or not I will like the Game in question & would rather wait on a decent Used Game Price then spend 50 Bucks on a game Im not sure wether or not I will like it. Stuff like Games you can pretty much tell right away after watching say a Trailer for it if you will like it or not & so far I have not been wrong. I have no problem paying Original Game Price Tag at $49.99 but I have to know first if I will definitely like the Game. If not I will just get it used

I buy games used when they're short. An example would be SotC, it's a game that can be beat in less then a weak, I'll pick it up used rather then pay full price for it. Hurt the company that makes it? Pfft, oh well, make the game longer because other wise it's hurting my wallet.

It's not just them, I'm an avid Silent Hill fan, but 3 was patheticly short. I bout it used because of that.

Basically, Zenien, if you're rich enough to buy every game that's interesting to you at full price, go ahead. Games I definitly want on first day of release I get for full price. Games I'm not so sure about? Why should I pay full price for games I'm not even sure I will like? If I play a second hand game and love it, then I will sure as hell be there if or when a sequel comes out. Second hand games can establish a new fanbase for sequels or strong word of mouth that maybe it didn't get first time around.Unless you are either a shareholder in any of the company, or a head honcho, I don't see why it bothers you. If I really thought it would hurt gaming, sure. But right now it's one of the biggest industries that there is, so I will continue to pick up games I am sure of for cheaper prices.

Games I definitly want on first day of release I get for full price. Games I'm not so sure about? Why should I pay full price for games I'm not even sure I will like? If I play a second hand game and love it, then I will sure as hell be there if or when a sequel comes out. Second hand games can establish a new fanbase for sequels or strong word of mouth that maybe it didn't get first time around

Agreed 100%

Another example of this would be Tomb Raider: Legends. I hated every Tomb Raider game before this but the previews and reviews had me interested. I picked it up used for 29.99 and I'm glad I did. It's an awesome game, and again this is coming from someone who used to HATE Tomb Raider. If the sequel to Legends is like it, I'll be there.

I know you can say "well, rent the game to find out." But where does that money go? Not to the companies. Even so, I'm not paying 5-7 bucks to rent a game, if I hate it it's a waste of money. If I buy a used game and hate it I can return it for another game.

Exactly. I do agree that if I do believe it REALLY hurt gaming companies and development, I probably wouldn't do it that often...but Nintendo, MS and Sony are hardly hurting for cash and bleeding green, so I see no problem with it. Games like Halo, and other established franchises, will always mean that second hand gaming will never hurt companies (and if a game has been purchased first time anyway, they got the majority of the profit then anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"