No Captain Gordon?

Bruce Stark

Reaction score
It occurs to me that we have never seen a Jim Gordon on film in the rank of Captain. Begins had him promoted from Sgt. to Lt. at the end in a similar fashion to the way he was promoted from Lt. to Capt. at the end of Batman: Year One. I wonder why they had him as a Sgt. for most of Begins rather than a Lt.. The fact that Gordon was never a Capt. in the Nolan movies causes further issues for me in TDK when he is promoted to Commissioner. Why would a Lt. automatically be chosen to take over as Commish? Was there no one higher ranking in the pecking order to take Loeb's place? True, Gordon was the head of the MCU and also saved the Mayor's life ( probably why the mayor promoted Gordon specifically to answer my own question lol), but still isn't that like automatically having the Speaker of the House take over as U.S. President, skipping over the VP entirely? I would appreciate other members' thoughts on this please.

What was his rank when Bruce's parents were shot in Begins?

I think the position of Commissioner is a Mayoral choice, not something you get promoted through the police force. They don't even have to have been in the police before becoming Commissioner.

I don't know what Gordon's exact rank was when he first met Bruce, but I believe he was just a beat cop. However, to quote Gordon in Batman Begins, "...but I've been wrong before".

Last edited:
one of a very few honest cops brought in the joker on a genius plan after saving the mayor's life after ambitiously trying to take down the mob after 15+ years on the job.

I'd trust him with my police force.

As would I. I'm not saying I disagree with him being promoted to commissioner in TDK. I was just wondering if maybe it was a bit rushed, that's all.

well if that doesn't earn the guy a spot after the commissioner's death, then i don't know what else would

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"