The Dark Knight The James Gordon / Gary Oldman Thread

DavidTyler

Sidekick
Reaction score
I'm hoping that Nolan spends a lot more time exploring the relationship between Batman and Gordon.

Aside from that, Gordon was promoted by the end of the first film. Do you think that Nolan will promote Gordon to Commissioner by the end of this film?

And, in additon to that, will Nolan provide Gordon with his own supporting cast in the form of Bullock, Montoya, Sara Essen, and his family?

i'm not too sure, but shouldn't Gordon become Captain before Comissioner, or is that what he got promoted to in Begins?

yes i agree that Batman and Gordons relationship should be expolred further, something that the first Batman films never had.

and yes Nolan should include Bullock, Montoya and Sara Essen.
it would be much better to see Bullock and Montoya with Gordon at a murder scene than just some random guy in a police outfit.

I'd love to see more of Gordon in the second film. Gary Oldman was awesome and I'd like to see the character given more depth.

I agree. I think they should do this in the next film. Have batman call gordon lieutenant and Gordon is alway saying to him call me Jim. And by the end of the film he calls him Jim symbolizes there relatioship is growing from just alies.

Concluding from this i think that Black Mask should try and kill Bruce Wayne. Batman had already captured him, but Joker set him free. And goes looking for revenge yadda yadda... So anyway. Black Mask surprises Wayne knocking him out, he's just about to shoot him when suddenly Gordon burst in and shoots Black Mask wounding him. Bruce thanks him when he comes to (like you do) Then Bruce remembers how Gordon comforted Bruce the night his parents where murdered (i know what your all thinking, at this point). And as i sort of symotry (i can't be assed changing that) Bruce says "i never said thank you" and Gordon replys "and you'll never have to. And plus, Gordon and Batman at the end will both have a feeling of loss. What with Sarah Essen being kille and (if) Rachael is killed

See, I'd like to see this, but I don't know where "A lot more time" will come from, now that The Joker and Harvey Dent and others are in the picture. I find it hard to believe there'll be a whole lot of depth or exploration of their relationship in BATMAN 2 if half the characters rumored to appear show up. I'd like to see Essen and Bullock (not Montoya yet, save her for a third film).

Been Commissioner is early for Gordon he should be promoted to Captain in end of BB2.

I thought they could promote him to Captain between the first and second movie and then, maybe, promote him to Commish.

Just a thought. I'd be happy if he just makes Capt. in the next film.

COMPO said:
I agree. I think they should do this in the next film. Have batman call gordon lieutenant and Gordon is alway saying to him call me Jim. And by the end of the film he calls him Jim symbolizes there relatioship is growing from just alies

i like this idea, nothing major, but still efective.
and i'd rather see him become captain in the 2nd movie after Batman, Dent qand himself help bring down Joker.

Becoming Commish is a big to-do. That should happen in #3 at the soonest.

I think that loeb should be under the mobs employ or be killed by the joker so that Gordon can become commissioner. Like tehy did ionm batman: year one.

DavidTyler said:
I'm hoping that Nolan spends a lot more time exploring the relationship between Batman and Gordon.

Aside from that, Gordon was promoted by the end of the first film. Do you think that Nolan will promote Gordon to Commissioner by the end of this film?

And, in additon to that, will Nolan provide Gordon with his own supporting cast in the form of Bullock, Montoya, Sara Essen, and his family?

Oh I think that will definetly happen. Because this franchises focuses on Batman on the authentic noir crime fighting aspect, his relationship with Gordon (and as a result Gordon's development as a law enforcer) will grow.

As far as adding the others, while I'm sure they work well in Nolan's world (which seems very Frank Miller/Loeb inspired) I dont know if there is any room for them without letting the plot develop. That is to say do does Batman need so many allies as well or side characters. As it is, we are projected to see Fox, Gordon and Dent. Add to that we have Alfred and Commisner Loeb (maybe?), and you gotta make sure the focus isnt taken off Batman like the multi-villians did in the last franchise.

gordon.jpg

Ronny Shade said:
Becoming Commish is a big to-do. That should happen in #3 at the soonest.
Right. With the films realistic approach Gordon probably wont be getting much action once he become commissioner. No more investigations no more shooting none of that.

Stringer said:
Right. With the films realistic approach Gordon probably wont be getting much action once he become commissioner. No more investigations no more shooting none of that.

Right. And someone mentioned getting "promoted to commissioner," well, I don't think you get promoted to that job. It's basically a government job and depending on how the city works, it's probably either appointed by the mayor or elected by the people.

Jim Gordon will need to do some seriously heroic stuff and become a hero in the public eye, and once Loeb is done - either due to being exposed as a corrupt official, or being killed, or retiring happily at the end of a long career - Gordon would then be the logical choice to succeed him.

If indeed he does have a tryst with Sarah Essen in BB2 it could be the kind of thing that his detractors would use against him when the appointment comes. Say, a mob boss who fears Jim's badassitude and does not want him in office...

The movies should follow the format of Year One, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory.

Year One introduces the Batman character, and the relationship between Batman and Gordon.

The Long Halloween introduces the start of "Freaks" taking over Gotham Crime. Introduces Dent. Ruins Dent. Causes a strain in Batman and Gordons relationship.

Dark Victory continues the Dent storyline, has Batman and Gordon eventuallly get over any differences Harvey's transformation made, and...introduces the character of Dick Grayson.

To me it works very well, and should get support from the comic fan world.

I'd like to see Gordon, Bats and Dent all working together in trying to figure out who the Joker is, and aslo trying to clean up the giant mess the underworld is in now the Falcone is gone. I personally like the idea of Jimmy being a Lieutenant for the entire time in Begins 2, then have him become commish in the third when two-face escapes from hospital after the aciding and kills Loeb for some reason, maybe Loeb had it in for Dent and helped out with the scarring? Who knows? That's my opinion.

i think that there has to be a strong alliance between dent, gordon and batman in this film. all three playing a part to bring down the joker. this would work well on film and joker scarring dent would be a nice touch. i know all the fan-boys might not like that but i think it would be cool. i'm just having trouble waiting to see it on film.:up:

doesn't Gordon have to be captain first.

This thread is dedicated to the hawtness that is Gary Oldman, and what you hope to see in store for Gordon in TDK.

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

I really want to see Gordon established as a tough person in TDK. I think Oldman can easily convey that, but BB didn't really give him a chance to do so, and that's probably my biggest complaint about the movie.

Year One has two great Gordon scenes that would work to establish this:
1. The hostage crisis where he drops his gun and enters the building.
2. His altercation with Flass.

Something like either of those scenes would be great.

Then again, at the end of BB we already know that Gordon has been promoted, so maybe the time to show his toughness has come and gone.

I've always hated in the Burton/Schumacher films how downplayed the Gordon character was. Batman Begins improved upon it, but he was still underused I felt.

I've always found Gordon to be a fascinating character in the Batman mythos. Despite having his wife murdered and his daughter crippled by The Joker, it's Gordon who stops Batman from killing him. I really hope they delve deeper into his character in this movie.

more screen time. A good relationship with Harvey, they should be friends, not Bruce and Harvey. Good rooftop scenes with Bats and Harv. I would love for Gordon to take down some thugs himself, as in Year One, where he made short work of Flass.
That would rule.

I'd be really disappointed if we don't see Bats, Harvey and Gordon together on the roof in TDK.

One other thing I'd like to see would be Gordon and Batman doing some detective work together, using each other as a sounding board for ideas. It could be rooftop, it could in Gordon's office like in the Long Halloween or it could be at a crime scene (maybe a Joker victim?) like in The Mad Monk. This would show that the two of them work together well, and it'd show Bats' detective skills, too.

But I agree; Gordon is a great character that I'd love to see developed more fully on the big screen. And if they ever bring Essen into the franchise, I hope it's Laura Dern (does she even act anymore?).

I think Begins did an ok job with Gordon and kept his developement within the right time line. Gordon was pretty hopeless in begins before he met batman..

Now that Gordon has seen that one man (Batman) can make a diffrence he should be very inspired and allot more bold in the sequel. Especially since he knows Batman has his back, he can finally be the police officer he has always wanted to be. This could also be a nice way to create a rift with Gordon and his family, now that he is putting so much time into his job and putting himself in the line of fire more his home life will suffer.

Maybe he can have some touching moments with his young daughter Barbra on the porch when his wife kicks him out and between her fathers noble quest and seeing batman she becomes inspired to chase after her dream of making a diffrence?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"