No Origin... Confirmed by Latino Review

it's a 'do or die' situation with Superman. either they do it now and get into production by 2011, or nothing at all.

Thanks for putting a downer on everything :D

Nah, I really hope everything works out. I've just seen a lot of news that almost went official, end up in oblivion. I swear the Wachowski's were always a cm away from the project. JJ Abrams seemed possible, nothing happened. Now we are on to the next thing. Let's get another franchise going damn it :doh:

Thank God no origin.

And bring on evil buiness man Lex! Instead of evil real esate agent Lex.

Nah, I really hope everything works out. I've just seen a lot of news that almost went official, end up in oblivion. I swear the Wachowski's were always a cm away from the project. JJ Abrams seemed possible, nothing happened. Now we are on to the next thing. Let's get another franchise going damn it :doh:

Ha ha mate was just having a laugh with ya. I'm as woried as you that this will be debunked or whatever but I really think things are moving ahead, all the stuff we keep hearing is different aspects to it i.e. the title, the writers, producers, story details (albeit very very minor), We aren't hearing so and so's writing and then the next day so and so's writing etc. Its all so far been different aspects to the project so this has me thinking its true.

i just hope this film does happen and works out well for superman. As i said i do hope we at least get some origin stuff from krypton or at least talked about, and then some smallville life flashs.

If unconfirmed there is always a possibility things don't pan out, meaning nothing goes official. So I am cautious these days, considering rumor for now.

I'm cautious too. My blue sig won't change until the day the next Superman movie starts filming. :cwink:

i just hope this film does happen and works out well for superman. As i said i do hope we at least get some origin stuff from krypton or at least talked about, and then some smallville life flashs.

I would be happy with that, but NO origin elements? I will want my money back :(

If Lex is potrayed in a different way, then I could be okay with it. But do we really need him back again??

Batman '89 springs to mind, the origin was dealt with later in the film but never truly embraced just brushed upon so if they brushed over it (maybe in the opening credits) that would do for me.

well he shouldnt be totally not used at all. Sure he shouldnt be the main or only threat of the film. but if they are playing the corp/political lex there is so much more they can do with the character.

Batman '89 springs to mind, the origin was dealt with later in the film but never truly embraced just brushed upon so if they brushed over it (maybe in the opening credits) that would do for me.
i would be ok with it handled that way. Cause with the whole heirs having rights to most of krypton stuff and all that. For me as i said i would just be majority disapointed if we dont have any origins and its superman been around for awhile. Cause really what is the point in rebooting/restarting if we dont get to see how or why the characters this time around are the way they are right? if their is no origin at all they might as well drop the whole dam reboot idea and just make a sequel to SR as much as i would hate that.

i would be ok with it handled that way. Cause with the whole heirs having rights to most of krypton stuff and all that. For me as i said i would just be majority disapointed if we dont have any origins and its superman been around for awhile. Cause really what is the point in rebooting/restarting if we dont get to see how or why the characters this time around are the way they are right? if their is no origin at all they might as well drop the whole dam reboot idea and just make a sequel to SR as much as i would hate that.

I dont think they need to deal with it right away. It could be revealed in a sequel in Byrnes MOS he doesnt discover his origins straight away.

ok yea i am just saying as i said i would be disapointed if there is not even any hints or talks of his past and we are jsut getting a supes that been around for awhile. I would like to at least have a few things seen/told of and have it start with clark coming to the city for the first time.

I guess I'd like some origin but I'm glad they are starting with an established Superman.

well we dont really know if he is established or not. the article did only say its not origin. So maybe we could still have it be like as i hope clarks first day to the city and him going public. or start out clark is at the city and is doing secret saves to he is spotted and goes public.

Guys i wouldn't worry so much about the origin. I'm sure they'll have elements in the film and then flesh out the rest in another film later. And don't worry about the general audience being confused, my wife is a perfect example of the general audience and her favorite version of supes so far is Lois and Clark. That show started his first day in metroplis, didn't bog itself down with his origin although in talking with his parents enough of it was revealed. It was more character driven. The general audience just wants to be entertained by a good solid movie with great characters and some solid action. They're not going to care if we see him fly to earth from krypton or not, just told her about the new movie last night and she thought it was a good idea to just start with an established superman.

I agree. I'm all for an established Superman but an origin (it doesn't have to be linear) is necessary. Many people say they're "sick" of the origin, but in reality they've done it just ONCE on film. Since it's a new franchise they at least should have origin elements via flashbacks.

I wouldn't worry too much Bad Supes.

The thing is, due to legal issues they can't do a full fledged origin film from what Siegal and Shuster developed.

However, by reading this in the report:

"I know it sets up a huge Kryptonian mythology."

That gives me confidence that we may see aspects of the origin we have not see before on film. Hopefully in the style of Byrnes' Man of Steel run in the 80's and more recently Waids' Birthright run, where Jor El and Lara were focused. To make it a fresh take compared to Siegal and Shusters, we may see Brainiac being involved and him possibly causing Kryptons' destruction.

If Lex is potrayed in a different way, then I could be okay with it. But do we really need him back again??

I think Lex is always an integral part of any Supes story/film.....just as long as he is NOT the main baddie and as long as he is LexCorp Lex, than all should be good.

what ever they do i hope it is good reguarding what ever we do get from origin. I jsut dont want it totally skipped over.

I wouldn't worry too much Bad Supes.

The thing is, due to legal issues they can't do a full fledged origin film from what Siegal and Shuster developed.

However, by reading this in the report:

"I know it sets up a huge Kryptonian mythology."

That gives me confidence that we may see aspects of the origin we have not see before on film. Hopefully in the style of Byrnes' Man of Steel run in the 80's and more recently Waids' Birthright run, where Jor El and Lara were focused. To make it a fresh take compared to Siegal and Shusters, we may see Brainiac being involved and him possibly causing Kryptons' destruction.

I really hope that's the case. I though of that too (the kryptonian mythology thing). If they're talking about "Kryptonian mythology" there's got to be origin elements that should separate it from the Donnerverse and help set up the new franchise/universe. :up:

what ever they do i hope it is good reguarding what ever we do get from origin. I jsut dont want it totally skipped over.

:up:

If they use elements of the Byrne Superman or even the Golden Age era, the origin could still be used in flashbacks. Superman in the Golden Age and the teen Clark did know of his Kryptonian till he was older and did.The Golden Age Superman did not find out till he was an adult. I think that could be a very interesting concept if they approached it this way in the film. So Jor-EL could show up as a hologram and tell Clark of Krypton's destruction and we might see the flashbacks. Batman Begins was an origin story, but Bruce was thinking about what happened in the past then goes forward with Ra's, Gotham ,etc.

Last edited:
If they use elements of the Byrne Superman or even the Golden Age era, the origin could still be used in flashbacks. Superman in the Golden Age and the teen Clark did know of his Kryptonian till he was older and did.The Golden Age Superman did not find out till he was an adult. I think that could be a very interesting concept if they approached it this way in the film. So Jor-EL could show up as a hologram and tell Clark of Krypton's destruction and we might see the flashbacks. Batman Begins was an origin story, but Bruce was thinking about what happened in the past then goes forward with Ra's, Gotham ,etc.

I would love to see something like that.

but in Begins, the first whole hour origin. From Kid, to a man, to his discovery as Batman.

........ if all really think about it, isn't it about time we get Superman's origins on the big screen.

I'd prefer we see nothing of the origin. We've seen it already, and it didn't help that Singer had to remind us about it all. We all know about it. It's one of the things that makes it a need to differentiate itself from the previous films. I want a fresh clean slate. I want to walk into the theater and be excited and invigorated about this fresh start.

I agree with Doctor Jones. They made the right call imo. It didn't hurt Batman 89 or the first X Men film that we didn't see Bruce Waynes world travels or see Professor X esemble the X men. Heck ,we didn't even really see where Wolverine came from until Wolverine. Those characters backgrounds were far less known to the general public then Superman's is . I would wager any one off the street could give you at least rough summary of Superman's origin and background . He's apart of american mythology for 70 odd years and his story has been retold time and again regardless of whether a movie has shown it again or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"