No Way Home No Way Home Box Office Predictions & Discussion Thread

The proof is in the product, Two Spider-Man films In the MCU made a billion dollars. Something Sony didn't do with all their previous Spider-Man films or spinoff.

"Proof" is probably stretching things a tad, especially in light of inflation. . . but yeah. Certainly neither of the TASM movies came close, and I strongly suspect that without Marvel's involvement, more TASM is exactly what you would have gotten out of Sony going it alone.

Lets be honest. FFH made a billion because it was on the shoulders of the MCU. Riding that wave of Endgame and Infinity War. As really FFH isn't exactly a billion-dollar movie. And with HC it's hard to deny there is a reason why they included RDJ.

NWH made over a billion because it had Endgame/Infinity War hype to it.

Lets be honest. FFH made a billion because it was on the shoulders of the MCU. Riding that wave of Endgame and Infinity War. As really FFH isn't exactly a billion-dollar movie. And with HC it's hard to deny there is a reason why they included RDJ.

NWH made over a billion because it had Endgame/Infinity War hype to it.

Bottom line is that Spidey does better at the box office when the MCU is involved because there are more interesting characters he can interact with. A solo Spidey will do well in just about any world, but as part of the MCU, it's just more interesting.

It occurs to me that Marvel seems to be moving in the direction of more characters interacting in their "solo" movies rather than complete focus being on a single character as in some of the earlier phases. I'm thinking of movies like Civil War, Ragnarok, NWH, and, upcoming, Dr Strange and Thor. I think it makes for a more interesting movie. When Avengers hit, maybe they started thinking that they were REALLY on to something as opposed to true standalone movies focusing almost exclusively on a single character.

The proof is in the product, Two Spider-Man films In the MCU made a billion dollars. Something Sony didn't do with all their previous Spider-Man films or spinoff.

Let's be fair, the Tobey movies are effectively billion dollar films once you factor in inflation

Let's be fair, the Tobey movies are effectively billion dollar films once you factor in inflation
The first 2, in particular, were as successful as just about any movie out there at the time. I never use inflation as a factor when evaluating box office. I think it's better to compare it to the movies of its time. The comparisons over time have too many variables to really do accurately.

The first 2, in particular, were as successful as just about any movie out there at the time. I never use inflation as a factor when evaluating box office. I think it's better to compare it to the movies of its time. The comparisons over time have too many variables to really do accurately.
Harry Potter and Lord Of The Rings were more popular, globally. I think a few Pirates movies too.

Harry Potter and Lord Of The Rings were more popular, globally. I think a few Pirates movies too.
Yeah. That's entirely possible. Still, there aren't a lot of movies during that time that measure up. I would put them in the same ballpark though; and that's a really nice ballpark. :D

Well our favorite Wall-crawling spider is about to swing past $600m soon domestically

Go Spidey Go!!!!

2 billion looking promising. It's getting a China release, right?

I predict it'll finish JUST above The Avengers which would be an INCREDIBLE result for this movie in a pandemic and without China!

My goodness though, it easily would've sailed to 2 billion if it didnt have those two aforementioned roadblocks though. So its performance now just further demonstrates how well this is hitting with global audiences everywhere.

Last edited:
I've always considered ticket sales to be a better comparison, especially when there are a lot of years between the movies being compared...

Edit
I meant the total number of tickets sold, this to me gives a better number as to how many people saw the movie. Which surely is a better indication of popularity?

Last edited:
I've always considered ticket sales to be a better comparison, especially when there are a lot of years between the movies being compared...

I think that's what "inflation" tries to do, but, here's the thing. Streaming D+, HBOMax, etc weren't a thing in that era. Gaming has become much bigger. There are more movies and release windows are shorter. Bottom line is that the times they have changed and different types of entertainment exist. Also, it may be that ticket prices don't necessarily track inflation in general. This could mean that ticket prices are relatively cheaper or more expensive. I just don't see a way to compare those apples to those oranges.

This is going to settle around 1.7 billion if it doesn't get a China release which is unfathomable

This really had Endgame potential in normal times

The weekday numbers are still looking good with Xmas and New Years out of the way. Hopefully this is here to stay for a good while.

The weekday numbers are still looking good with Xmas and New Years out of the way. Hopefully this is here to stay for a good while.
Yeah. This is a slow time of the year (which makes mid/late December releases a good time of the year) and I don't see anything on the horizon that will cause NWH any major issues until The Batman. I'm not saying it will stay at the top of the charts until then, but there's nothing really big hitting the screens any time soon.

NWH released under very compromised circumstances in Canada. I have a feeling when things simmer down again probably in spring/summer it's going to get another run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"