Superman Returns Non Comic Book Readers Not Real Superman Fans?

Venom71

Superhero
Reaction score
Ok I am not trying to stir up trouble but sometimes on these boards I get the feeling that some of the comic book readers think that non comic readers are not true Superman Fans and...My question is Do you think that is true? Are non comic book readers true Superman fans?

I see no problem with those that don't read the comics being fans, personally you don't need to read the comics to be a fan. I don't buy Batman books(unless Superman in it or something) but I'm a fan of Bats :)

Morg said:
I see no problem with those that don't read the comics being fans, personally you don't need to read the comics to be a fan. I don't buy Batman books(unless Superman in it or something) but I'm a fan of Bats :)
Hey Morg I seen on Punked last night that Elisha is going to be on Punked sometime this season not sure when though. :up:

Venom71 said:
Hey Morg I seen on Punked last night that Elisha is going to be on Punked sometime this season not sure when though. :up:

Oh? Guess I better check this website where it list all the stars upcoming dates on tv then.

and thanks for heads up :)

I don't think they have to necessarily read the comics themselves, but I do consider a fan those who make a point to at least know what's going on in a generic way.

Morg said:

I got to agree with Morg here. You don't have to be a comic book reader to be a fan of Superman. Superman has shown to be more than just a comic book character, which is why you don't have to be a comic book fan to enjoy Superman. He's a media icon.

Truth is Siegel and Shuster were trying to make a comic strip character out of Superman, not a comic book one. Comic strips were very popular back in the 1930's and mostly everyone read them. Prince Valiant, Tarzan, Flash Gordon all were comic strips before appearing in comic books. The first comic books were in fact reprints of comic strips! Superman was one of the first characters to appear in a comic book without being a comic strip character first. It was after the comic book took off and the radio show began that he appeared in comic strips! In the early days comic books were in fact looked upon as being for young boys and girls.

Superman has become as popular as he is now because he has appeared in so many mediums: comics, cartoons, movies, TV series, radio, toys.

I rarely read comics these days... I am still a fan.

The first time I saw or heard something from Superman was through the Donner movies (with Chris Reeve)
I love the older movies and I also regulary watch "Superman the Animated Series" (on what the most of my "Superman-knowledge" is based on!!), and Lois&Clark...and of course JLU and Smallville...

I don´t read any Comics because they are really really expensive

However I can say that I AM A REAL SUPERMAN FAN!
Not only because I like the story, the action, the characters...
It´s also because I LOVE what Superman stands for!!!TRUTH & JUSTCE
I love the way he is...And I really like the lovestory between Lois&Clark

Yes, I´m huge Superman Fan!

I say yes because I mean I for one am not going to read every single issue of the superheroes I really like. You know how much that could cost me? But I try to be up-to-date with them.

I dont necessarily think someone has to be an avid comic reader, or a comic book fan to be a Superman fan. The idea of Superman appeals to so many and thats what makes the character great. Just look at some of the people who are very much into comics, they get too caught up in his actual origins and stories that its hard for them to accept what could be a very enjoyable movie, even better than the previous films.

You have to have respect for the comics. Thats essential for any Superman interpretation.

Singer says his primary goal is to serve the comicbook community.

Superman Returns is in good hands....unlike some prior television interpretations.

Love the animated series (and JLU), and love Donner's film. The fact that I've read only a story or two (mostly dealing with the Death of Superman), doesn't lessen me as a fan in any way. Although I'm sure my knowledge of Superman isn't nearly as extensive as someone who's read the books.

Who were the people who actually said No? Simply disrespectful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"