Game of Thrones - Non-Booker readers' thread - NO SPOILERS

I got the Mad King bit and Jamie killing him but for whatever reason it just never clicked that she was his daughter. I mentioned it to my mother who has been watching the show since it started and she hadn't realized it either. I'm thinking of rewatching it sometime in the next few months.

Actually, I too need to see where it was hinted in Season 1 that Dany's father was the Mad King. I don't really remember now.

Apparently it was said during the first few episodes with her and her brother.

Once the shows over, would it be interesting to see a prequel film going more in depth on the backstory, covering the mad kings rein, and the rebellion against him with Ned as the lead? Or would that be too over indulging?

Well ladies and gentlemen, it has been an honour talking with you here, unsullied by the spoiler-laden words of those who through arcane power and reading have acquired knowledge of the future of the show.

One month ago to this day, I laid the foundations for this thread. Tired by the ceaseless and uncensored chatter of book readers who felt that by cloaking a singe word within black text they had hidden future events, I decreed that no more would such indirect comments subtly plant the seeds of an inevitable spoiler. "No more!" I declared, and upon declaring so I heard a few whispered hushed tones in return: "No more." I was aghast! I had no idea that there were others who held the criminally laissez-faire attitudes of the book readers in such similarly seething contempt. "Yes my friend!" I shouted to my new wayward companions, "no more spoilers, be they direct, indirect, forged to be self-congratulatory or simply in-jokes lacking the subtlety their posters mistakenly presumed they possessed! No more!"

And then lo, I head a greater intonation of my message returned once more back to me. "No more!" they cried, in greater numbers and greater boldness than before. "NO MORE!" I declared above the thronging crowd! "We shall forge a new path! A daring path where our people may discuss, debate, argue, fight, explore, analyse, enjoy and joke on all aspects of the show, without fear of our innocence becoming besmirched, our titillation trampled, suprise soiled, and predictions and postulations pummelled!" And then with greater resonance and resounding applause a final triumphant return was granted me as the assembled great crowd of anonymous non-readers cried out in unison and unity: "NO MORE!"

And so it was that we created together a space to talk freely amongst ourselves on the shows merits and flaws, and anything in between. I may have created this thread, but it was you all that filled it and gave it the breath of life and jollity. And for that I thank you all together and individually. It has been the best of times, with no worst of times in sight.

But now my friends, the hour grows late, and I find that I must leave you to ascend to a higher plane of existence. No long ago I finally began reading the books, beginning with A Game of Thrones, until tonight I stand on the precipice: the final hundred pages of A Storm of Swords await me, and so I must plunge soon into the rivers of uncertainty, chart the deserts of the unknown, and trek through the wilderness that lies beyond the show itself. I am unafraid my friends so I ask you not to fear for me in turn, but know that once this great step is taken, there is no going back. If I look back now I am lost, and to do so is as great a folly as Lot's wife looking back upon the destruction of their home. And so I must now leave you all here, my friends and children. Perhaps some of you some day shall join me in the sun, perhaps you shall not. Whatever becomes of your fates, know this: I shall never betray you as other book readers have done so cruelly in the past. You may not find it in yourselves to forgive me, but I ask you to gaze deeply into your heart's past and find it in yourselves to not let the wrongdoings wrought upon you then to sway your understanding of the present. I leave with a heavy and weary heart, but I leave this thread to you all, to continue to maintenance and use for years to come. That is my legacy and gift to you all, and I hope that you shall welcome other non-readers with open arms and warm tidings. I am saddened I shall never talk with them, but know that I shall always be with them in spirit.

And so I say, adieu.

Not to knock your farewell speech or anything but as long as you aren't spoiling anything from after season 4 you can still post here. :p

Once the shows over, would it be interesting to see a prequel film going more in depth on the backstory, covering the mad kings rein, and the rebellion against him with Ned as the lead? Or would that be too over indulging?

I would love for this to be a summer tentpole movie to be honest :hubba

So what was with the iron coin Arya had at the end of the season? She showed it to the captain and then he took her on board without a second question.

so i finally caved and started watching this series i'm only on ep 2 and i already want the little bastard prince and his mums head on a pike

bloody hell

It's pretty great once you get into it.

And yes, EVERYONE hate Joffrey.

Well, since this seems to be the closest there is to a General Discussion thread I figure I'll post my thoughts on the show here. I'll just point out quickly that I've never read the books. The show has been pretty good, here are some of my thoughts...

- It sucks to be a Stark. They are dropping like flies and the ones that are alive are constantly being shat on by everyone around them. Such a miserable existence.

- I still feel sorry for Talisa, she didn't deserve to die like that. That was by far the most depressing death for me. Also, still surprised that they killed Rob off at all, I figured he was going to be the star of the show, didn't expect that. Kind of anti-climatic too, he was just building up to be the hero and then bam, dead.

- King Joffrey's death was kind of disappointing, I was really hoping he would suffer more, lol. Or at least we'd get to see his head rolling around detached from his body, lol. Such an annoying little piss ant (not just the character but the actor too).

- It's getting harder to root for anyone left. At this point the only characters I have left to root for are Arya, Sansa, Margaery and Tyrion. They already killed off Ned, Robb, Talisa and Ygritte who were characters I was rooting for for the most part (I was mostly rooting for Robb in hopes he would save his sisters and because of Talisa, not a big fan of him otherwise really). Ygritte was the only interesting thing about Jon, now I'm back to not caring about him. Don't care about the younger Stark brothers either, also not a fan of the Frodo/Lord of Rings style storyline of Bran. I don't find it or him interesting at all. Obviously not rooting for the Lannisters even though Tywin, Cersei and Jaime are great characters played by good actors that are great in their roles.

- They killed Drogo off way too quickly and way too easily IMO. He was one of the most interesting characters for me. They played him up to be this badass who was going to wage war against the Royal's but then he dies in such a weak fashion. Wasted potential, though again, I've never read the books so maybe it was supposed to be that way to set up Daenerys story. I understand why they killed Ned off, despite him being my favorite male character on the show, it made sense because it sparks so much of the storyline from that one event. But Drogo just dies before he does anything, it was disappointing.

- Based on what I've heard about fans of the show, I know I'm in a small minority but I personally can't stand Daenerys. I think Emilia Clarke is ridiculously overrated, I find her annoying. The character is somewhat interesting, maybe I'd like the character more with a stronger actress but I'm actually rooting for her to be killed to be honest. Though I doubt it will happen anytime soon, if at all.

At this point I'm just hoping that the Stark girls get revenge in the end, or at least find some kind of refuge from all the disaster around them and get to reunite and live peacefully. Though I get the feeling that won't happen either. I don't know where this show is going, I thought it was going to be the Stark's Vs. The Lannister's in the end but now it just seems like the Stark's are just doomed to die horrible deaths even though they are basically the only good people in the show.

Well, since this seems to be the closest there is to a General Discussion thread I figure I'll post my thoughts on the show here. I'll just point out quickly that I've never read the books. The show has been pretty good, here are some of my thoughts...

- It sucks to be a Stark. They are dropping like flies and the ones that are alive are constantly being shat on by everyone around them. Such a miserable existence.

- I still feel sorry for Talisa, she didn't deserve to die like that. That was by far the most depressing death for me. Also, still surprised that they killed Rob off at all, I figured he was going to be the star of the show, didn't expect that. Kind of anti-climatic too, he was just building up to be the hero and then bam, dead.

- King Joffrey's death was kind of disappointing, I was really hoping he would suffer more, lol. Or at least we'd get to see his head rolling around detached from his body, lol. Such an annoying little piss ant (not just the character but the actor too).

- It's getting harder to root for anyone left. At this point the only characters I have left to root for are Arya, Sansa, Margaery and Tyrion. They already killed off Ned, Robb, Talisa and Ygritte who were characters I was rooting for for the most part (I was mostly rooting for Robb in hopes he would save his sisters and because of Talisa, not a big fan of him otherwise really). Ygritte was the only interesting thing about Jon, now I'm back to not caring about him. Don't care about the younger Stark brothers either, also not a fan of the Frodo/Lord of Rings style storyline of Bran. I don't find it or him interesting at all. Obviously not rooting for the Lannisters even though Tywin, Cersei and Jaime are great characters played by good actors that are great in their roles.

- They killed Drogo off way too quickly and way too easily IMO. He was one of the most interesting characters for me. They played him up to be this badass who was going to wage war against the Royal's but then he dies in such a weak fashion. Wasted potential, though again, I've never read the books so maybe it was supposed to be that way to set up Daenerys story. I understand why they killed Ned off, despite him being my favorite male character on the show, it made sense because it sparks so much of the storyline from that one event. But Drogo just dies before he does anything, it was disappointing.

- Based on what I've heard about fans of the show, I know I'm in a small minority but I personally can't stand Daenerys. I think Emilia Clarke is ridiculously overrated, I find her annoying. The character is somewhat interesting, maybe I'd like the character more with a stronger actress but I'm actually rooting for her to be killed to be honest. Though I doubt it will happen anytime soon, if at all.

At this point I'm just hoping that the Stark girls get revenge in the end, or at least find some kind of refuge from all the disaster around them and get to reunite and live peacefully. Though I get the feeling that won't happen either. I don't know where this show is going, I thought it was going to be the Stark's Vs. The Lannister's in the end but now it just seems like the Stark's are just doomed to die horrible deaths even though they are basically the only good people in the show.

I never really liked Robb as much as I did Ned. I thought Robb would be a horrible king and it shows with his actions in the second season. The fact that he broke an oath when he married Talisa shows that he is selfish (he couldn't wait till after the war to get married and break the oath?) He was stubborn and didn't listen to his counsel. And he became desperate and put his entire army and family by going to Walder Frey for help after he disrespected him in the worst way possible. He kind of deserved his loss.

Drogo's death was the gateway for Dany's story/growth. Had he not died, she never would have become the Queen of Dragons, never would have fought to free slaves, learned what it really means to become a ruler. Drogo's death, while sad and (justifiably) seen as wasted potential, needed to happen, otherwise Dany would be not only sitting on the sidelines of Drogo's war/rule, but she'd be dragonless and wholly unprepared for whatever leadership she could claim if she ever got to Westeros with him - being thw wife of a Kahl is FAR different then being the ruler of nations.

They played him up to be this badass who was going to wage war against the Royal's but then he dies in such a weak fashion. Wasted potential.

That was the point. George R.R. Martin is a big fan of irony and he doesn't kill a main character unless it directly relates to their personality or is a twist on who they are;

Ned was an honourable man who died telling an honourless lie, Robert was killed by the two things he loved the most: hunting and wine, Viserys was killed by a crown and Drogo was a powerful, savage warrior who died from infection.

And
Joffrey died like a little b**** because he was a little b****.

Wait.

Well yeah.

Everyone dies, that's the point of life.

Oh wait, you meant the series.

so i finally caved and started watching this series i'm only on ep 2 and i already want the little bastard prince and his mums head on a pike

bloody hell

Don't worry, you'll start liking Joffrey more, the kid gets kinder over time.

I really want to get into this show, but I unsubscribed from HBO like two years ago. I loved HBO Go but the HBO channel on Direct TV played the same flipping movies ever day it seemed with little else interesting shown. That was why I canceled my subscription. I am happy they are finally releasing a stand alone subscription in the coming year. But until then I guess I am forced to buy the seasons in DVD or should I just go to the wiki pages and read about what happens up until now? I just got the Telltale game but I heard you need to be familar with the show/books to know what's going on ( which sucks kinda). Any other suggestions to get caught up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"