Offical The Legend of Zelda Thread

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Reek, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spidey-Bat Ours is the Fury

I doubt it. Nintendo has shifted the cel-shaded games to the handhelds.

2. Galactus Devourer of Worlds

Patent: Next Zelda goes casual?
    Friday 9-Jan-2009 2:30 PM
    An interesting patent has emerged for what appears to be Nintendo's next Zelda game, sparking concern (in our office anyway) that the famous adventure series is all about to go all "casual".

The patent, credited to Mario daddy Shigeru Miyamoto himself, describes an all-new hint system as well as a DVD-style scene selection option, for a dummy game called 'Legend of OO' (we wonder what that could be?!)

The three systems outlined by the patent (thanks to NeoGAF for translating the gibberish) seem to be the following:

Main game: Play through the game from start to end as normal with an optional hint system. Veteran players can enjoy the challenge while less experienced players can get an occasional helping hand.

Digest: The game shows important scenes in the game, both cut-scene and gameplay, in order (it basically plays itself). You have the option of stopping the digest at any time and playing the 'scene' yourself with relevant equipment and powers. You can't save the game in this mode.

Scenes: Play through any puzzle or 'scene' in the game with appropriate equipment and powers. A bit like a DVD movie's scene selection.

Miyamoto has already expressed the Zelda series' need to become more accessible to a broader group of players, stating that "lot of people who bought the Wii are not necessarily the types of people who are interested in playing that kind of game."

The above systems sound like a fine gateway to us for helping casual players into the Zelda stratosphere, and really there's no reason to believe that they'll affect the core Zelda game fans expect. After all, Mario Kart Wii managed to please both camps. Yes, we're back on it.

Nintendo UK declined to comment when contacted.

3. Spidey-Bat Ours is the Fury

I hope it's not true. Zelda can be as complex as you want it. I used to just play through the main story when I was young but now I try to complete all of the side quests and collect all the heart pieces or other items.

So long as this hint system is optional though, I won't care.

4. Timstuff Registered

So basically, Nintendo is going to turn it into a DVD, but you can play if you want. Good lord, just when I thought Nintendo had run out of ways to sell out to the noobs, they do this... It makes me want to hurl.

It's official: Nintendo no longer cares about core gamers. Why? Because core gamers criticize them. Nintendo found a new market that does not complain, and all they have to do now is find more ways to expand it. Nintendo looks at core gamers like gasoline, and casual gamers like solar panels. Now that they've gotten the casual market that they so desperately wanted, they don't need us anymore, so we get kicked to the curb. Nintendo: putting the BS in BusinesS.

5. Mogwai Fanboy

i'm not sure how i feel about this. you can just watch it like a movie?

6. Spidey-Bat Ours is the Fury

Nintendo doesn't care about core gamers? They've released at least 1 game from almost all of their major franchises within the Wii's first 2 years. The only two that don't have one yet are Star Fox and Kirby.

Every single game they make will not be like this. And from the looks of it, it seems optional.

7. DACrowe Registered

Oh I hope that isn't true. If they turn Zelda into a casual gamer's experience I am ****ing done with the company. Zelda is the crowning achievement in video games and if they sell it out to the audience who only plays Wii Fit and Wii Play... FLUCK THEM.

Now I know they said the DVD and stupid hint screens are optional, but if the game had the complexity and depth of say...Twilight Princess...casual gamers would be lost. They can't handle a 40-60 hour game with tons of side missions and epic dungeons.

That means Nintendo will dumb down the game play. And anyone who played the last two console Zelda games (Wind Waker and Twilight Princess) knows that despite how fun and brilliantly crafted those games were, they were too easy. There was little fear of dying (I think I died less than 10 times playing THE ENTIRETY of 60 hours of Twilight Princess).

The boss fights need to be harder and the enemies need to be tougher. And it'd be nice to have a story that didn't revolve around the Triforce again. But it looks like Nintendo is going to have to dumb it down even more if they are going to market it to the people who enjoy Wii Music.

Sh it.

8. DACrowe Registered

I love my Wii and don't regret the decision of getting it with great games like Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, SSMB3, Godfather: Blackhand Edition, Mario Kart Wii, No More Heroes, etc. on it.

But really Nintendo is foresaking the fans of video games that are more than simple distractions or short party games. The only game they released this year for us was Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I think that is one of the best games of the year. But that came out in March. I am unaware of any in-house Nintendo games.

Zelda, Mario, Metroid and SSMB were all in production before the Wii's massive success. Since they saw the success of Wii Sports, I fear Nintendo finished these four little masterpieces and have decided to move in a different direction. :(

9. Spidey-Bat Ours is the Fury

Mario Kart Wii, Wario Land Shake It, and Animal Crossing came out this year. Then there were games most people looked over such as Okami, De Blob, Boom Blox, and Mushroom Men.

They already have another Zelda in the works as well as Pikmin 3. I believe they also have a Kirby game in the works (which was originally meant to be released on the GC).

10. Timstuff Registered

I haven't researched much about Wario Land Shake It, but Mario Kart Wii is considered by many players to be a step backwards for the franchise, because they were trying too hard to open it up more to casuals. As for Animal Crossing: City Folk, suggesting that that game is a core-gamer pleaser is kind of insulting. Yeah, a lot of people dug Animal Crossing on Gamecube, but what does City Folk have to offer that the Gamecube game didn't? If games like City Folk and Mario Kart Wii are the best Nintendo has to offer to core gamers, then that's pretty much saying to them "look elsewhere, because this system is not for you."

11. Spidey-Bat Ours is the Fury

Who are those people because they are idiots. Mario Kart Wii is the best in the series. I don't see how it was a step backwards in the franchise at all. My only complaint about it is the graphics were not significantly better than Double Dash's but I really couldn't care less about that.

Online capabilities

If core gamers disliked Mario Kart Wii, they aren't core gamers. As mentioned earlier, Nintendo has already released a lot of titles from their major franchises within the first 2 years of the Wii. Expecting a major 3+ major titles every year is excessive, IMO.

12. Reek _____

miyamoto ****ed mario with 'sunshine' now hes ****ing zelda too?

13. Joe Von Zombie Hell yeah!

I hate how everyone criticizes Nintendo for catering to the casual gamer when everyone this gen is catering to casual gamers with games that don't feature any real punishment for death( Bioshock, Prince of Persia,) game's that are painfully easy due to balance issues (MGS4, Fable 2) and games that take a step backwards in the gameplay department to cater to a wider audience (Street Fighter 4 based on statements made by Yoshinori Ono, Bioshock)

14. Spidey-Bat Ours is the Fury

Sunshine wasn't a bad game. It was tedious at times with the water pack but still a good game.

15. StrainedEyes All the way up it!

I never use my Wii anymore.

16. Mogwai Fanboy

though i think mario sunshine sucked...mario galaxy definitely made up for it.

17. SuBe Voluntaryist

When I see a real Preview for a Zelda Game that includes all this information. I will propty sell my Wii. But as of now, I'm considering boxing it up, until I hear otherwise. I havn't even looked at my Wii since May, let alone turned it on.

I love my XBox 360, and have been severly disappointed by the Wii. As a true Nintendo fan, this really hurts, but it is what it is.

18. Spidey-Bat Ours is the Fury

This stuff is optional.

19. SuBe Voluntaryist

I understand that. But, if they go as far as impliment this, how difficult can the Challenge be?

I just won't be Zelda anymore.

20. Reek _____

i wish microsoft would buy nintendo...so we can have some XBOX360 Zelda. cause in all honesty, the wii is cool at times, but overall it isnt that great.

i know that wont happen, ever, but im wishing dammit

also, the worst part about zelda now is that its only going to be on the wii. had nintendo not released it on the gamecube, i would have never played TP. really sucks now cause if i dont purchase a wii, ill prob never play a zelda game again. (even when they come out with a new console, i wont buy it bc since the n64 came out the consoles have gotten progressively worse)

not saying that n64 is better than gamecube, but the technology difference between the two is tiny compared to xbox to xbox360.

nintendo really needs to get into the high powered systems like ps3 and x360. but it wont, itll keep catering to little kids.

F***.

21. Reek _____

oh and mario sunshine sucked ass.

22. terry78 baby, that chicken was dry...real dry

There are pills you can take for that.

23. terry78 baby, that chicken was dry...real dry

Nintendo is too big of a player to even consider that route. They could battle Microsoft for control of something if they wanted to.

24. Timstuff Registered

When I first saw Wii, coming off of the massive disappointment that was the Gamecube, my reaction was "I hope this thing bombs, and Nintendo has to start making games on PS3, Xbox 360, and PS3 instead." Well, wouldn't you know it, the Wii ended up becoming the highest selling console this generation by far, and now it's looking less likely than ever that they'll stop making consoles.

And that puts us in a very unfortunate position, sadly-- since Nintendo makes their own systems, their own games tend to be the system's biggest sellers. And since the Wii's target audience has shown that they are perfectly content with mediocre junk like Wii Music, Wii Play, and Wii Sports, Nintendo is hardly motivated to cater to the hard core crowd. If anything, the better Wii sells, the further Nintendo is going to move away from the core gamer. Nintendo sees the hardcore game as an obsolete business model, and they've been doing their best to phase it out without immediately alienating the core gamer.

As Nintendo becomes more and more cozy with its new mistress (the casual / non gamer), it's kind of inevitable that classic series like the Legend of Zelda, Metroid, etc. will be retooled to be more attractive to them. In Nintendo's eyes, the hardcore gamer has not been pulling their weight in terms of buying power, and as a result, Nintendo has deemed that we are not worth specifically developing titles for. Why bother making a big budget hardcore game that sells 4 million copies, when they can make an inexpensive casual game that sells 7 million copies?

And that, is why I do not own a Wii. :(

25. CantThinkOfAName Registered

How would cel-shading accommodate the wiimote gameplay elements? That doesn't even make any sense.

And I wouldn't mind at all, considering the Wind Waker was an amazing game and Phantom Hourglass is probably my favorite DS game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.