Legend of Zelda Offical The Legend of Zelda Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that puts us in a very unfortunate position, sadly-- since Nintendo makes their own systems, their own games tend to be the system's biggest sellers. And since the Wii's target audience has shown that they are perfectly content with mediocre junk like Wii Music, Wii Play, and Wii Sports, Nintendo is hardly motivated to cater to the hard core crowd. If anything, the better Wii sells, the further Nintendo is going to move away from the core gamer. Nintendo sees the hardcore game as an obsolete business model, and they've been doing their best to phase it out without immediately alienating the core gamer.
Wii Sports is not "mediocre junk".

As Nintendo becomes more and more cozy with its new mistress (the casual / non gamer), it's kind of inevitable that classic series like the Legend of Zelda, Metroid, etc. will be retooled to be more attractive to them.
And you're basing this off of what?

In Nintendo's eyes, the hardcore gamer has not been pulling their weight in terms of buying power, and as a result, Nintendo has deemed that we are not worth specifically developing titles for.
They've released Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros Brawl, and Mario Kart Wii within the Wii's first 2 years. Wait at least 1 or 2 more years before you go on about how they've ignored the hardcore gamer. Most of what you're saying is just your speculation.

When I first saw Wii, coming off of the massive disappointment that was the Gamecube, my reaction was "I hope this thing bombs, and Nintendo has to start making games on PS3, Xbox 360, and PS3 instead." Well, wouldn't you know it, the Wii ended up becoming the highest selling console this generation by far, and now it's looking less likely than ever that they'll stop making consoles.

And that puts us in a very unfortunate position, sadly-- since Nintendo makes their own systems, their own games tend to be the system's biggest sellers. And since the Wii's target audience has shown that they are perfectly content with mediocre junk like Wii Music, Wii Play, and Wii Sports, Nintendo is hardly motivated to cater to the hard core crowd. If anything, the better Wii sells, the further Nintendo is going to move away from the core gamer. Nintendo sees the hardcore game as an obsolete business model, and they've been doing their best to phase it out without immediately alienating the core gamer.

As Nintendo becomes more and more cozy with its new mistress (the casual / non gamer), it's kind of inevitable that classic series like the Legend of Zelda, Metroid, etc. will be retooled to be more attractive to them. In Nintendo's eyes, the hardcore gamer has not been pulling their weight in terms of buying power, and as a result, Nintendo has deemed that we are not worth specifically developing titles for. Why bother making a big budget hardcore game that sells 4 million copies, when they can make an inexpensive casual game that sells 7 million copies?

And that, is why I do not own a Wii. :(
You make it sound like Nintendo is the only one that's trying to expand their market to more mainstream audience. That's been the goal of all three this generation. That's why ALL games these days are for the most part way easier than games back in the day, as someone earlier pointed out.

Or I guess that Sony made the blu-ray player addition an essential part of the PS3 for the "hardcore gamer". Oh, except many hardcore gamers couldn't afford the system because of it. Nintendo just went a different direction to appeal to mainstream consumers, while Sony and Microsoft thought it was in making their systems multimedia centers. Tell me how renting movies or going online is supposed to satisfy someone who wants to play games? Advanced graphics were pretty much the only major innovation Sony and Microsoft brought to video games this generation. Nintendo just beat them out. So don't blame Nintendo for this, because the tiny percentage of people who call themselves "hardcore gamers" was never the target audience for videogame makers, especially this generation, and inevitably games targeted for that group of people were going to decrease anyway.

hopefully they'll announce something at e3 in may.

me too...wish we could see that picture/concept art.

I love the Zelda franchise, it's so epic and it is the diamond for Nintendo

yeah...zelda, mario, and pokemon are their 'crown jewels.'

C'mon IGN, is it too hard to give a better description than "older Link".

its a link in his 20's.

i read that somewhere. ill look for the site again, saw it last night.

i hope theres some blood in this one...and more exploration... like Oblivion, you can get different types of weapons that do different things, but u dont HAVE to have them. like have the master sword of course, but also have like a dagger or something.

i would love if it had weapons kinda like assassins creed mixed with Oblivion.

and for god sakes....LET LINK BE ABLE TO JUMP!

could u imagine running...jumping off a cliff or something, a high point in a dungeon...whatever... and having the ability to throw a dagger, shoot an arrow, something like that....pull out your hookshot and grab a target.

could u imagine running...jumping off a cliff or something, a high point in a dungeon...whatever... and having the ability to throw a dagger, shoot an arrow, something like that....pull out your hookshot and grab a target.
I got goosebumps reading that. :yay:

it would be sooo cool. hell i just wanna be able to use the hookshot mid air. kinda like the sky temple boss in TP, where u act like spiderman haha

I just hope this new Zelda doesn't go like Majoras Mask. Not because I didnt like Majoras Mask, I just didn't feel like I was really in a Zelda world...

And bring back the gauntlets, the higher breathe times to swim, the 3 tunics, and much more mini-games, there were relatively easy this time I thought.

Finally. This game should be out in 2010, but given no concept art to watch officially but that means we won't see it until at least 2011.

Hopefully it is cool, but this talk of Link without a sword has me a bit worried. Futuristic Hyrule? Sure. But a Zelda game without Link as the main character as some rumors state, no thanks.

yeah, link's gotta be the protagonist...always.

Here is the concept art that Miyamoto showed to some people at E3.

http://kotaku.com/5279554/first-look-at-new-zelda-games-concept-art?skyline=true&s=x

fullzeldac.jpg

The Kotaku post speculates that the..thing next to Link may be the living incarnation of the Master Sword. I can see it. The gem is like the one on the Master Sword. The blue waist is like the hilt, the legs have a checkered pattern like the handle.

Looks cool and something to like more than Spirit Tracks.

I thought it would be a bit more...different. Everyone has been talking about how mature he looks but he looks the same as he did in Twilight Princess (which I loved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"