Iron Man 3 Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread. - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember this crap with Captain America. The tin foil hat brigade was out in force that day. Seriously, some films just fluctuate, the last Twilight film was sitting in the 80% range early on before it started getting hammered. TDRK started really poorly (relative to Nolan's other films) and eventually crawled its way to 87%. IM3 started really strong, now it's getting whacked for 6, I guess WB doesn't want it getting too popular right now given Man of Steel is a mere 2 months away so now's the time to 'release the kraken!' on it as it were. :dry:

Cap was probably the most bizarre time I have ever had with RT. People really didn't seem to know how it works and got mad when you tried to explain it to them.

I have a question for those who read the comics. What exactly was so appealing about the Extremis? I saw the motion comic before I saw the film and couldn't see what was so great about it outside of the art, which of course influenced the suits we see in the films.

No you, accused people of being arrogant, and the only one I see being arrogant now is you. You are associating people who say one critical thing, with people who are trying to be mass conspiracy theorists.

I'm not protecting anything, IM3 got positive reviews, so did IM2 which you blasted and pretty much told people who liked it that it was a mess an they were wrong. So again I ask who is being arrogant?

This place is arrogant. Most of these boards are. It ugliness just comes to the forefront when any negative reviews surface.

And no, I never said anyone was wrong to feel how they do about IM2. I have my feelings on it and have more then once attempted to explain why it has a bad reputation, RT score or not. That doesn't mean you are wrong for liking it, but that doesn't mean I am wrong for having the problems with it I have.

The person I was discussing it with used IMDB and RT as "evidence" for its quality. Then slammed SR and the SW prequels, and then seem to ignore RT scores in comparison. It was a perfect moment to explain why you can't use RT too bolster your argument and then just ignore it when it doesn't support your argument. The height of hypocrisy and yes, arrogance. If you like something, you don't need those places to validate your opinion. Just use your words. Anyone who decides IMDB is great way to judge a film is simply lost.

But please continue.

Last edited:
American critics sure knows how to be a party pooper.

Just had a look at some of the reviews from top critics.

The Washington Post one is classified rotten and is 2/4 - it could either way. It does have some positive things to say about the movie.

The Rolling Stone one is 2.5/4 - last time I checked, that's a pass. Again, it has positive things to say.

So, those rotten and fresh scores can be fudged pretty easily.

How?

If its a borderline review, then someone has to decide whether its rotten or fresh - and that person is RT. So, it's still a human decision whether a review is classified rotten or fresh. If its a WB movie, how do you think he or she will decide?

Just had a look at some of the reviews from top critics.

The Washington Post one is classified rotten and is 2/4 - it could either way. It does have some positive things to say about the movie.

The Rolling Stone one is 2.5/4 - last time I checked, that's a pass. Again, it has positive things to say.

So, those rotten and fresh scores can be fudged pretty easily.

:lmao:

It's TDKR all over again.

If its a borderline review, then someone has to decide whether its rotten or fresh - and that person is RT. So, it's still a human decision whether a review is classified rotten or fresh. If its a WB movie, how do you think he or she will decide?

Did you not read the post where I said its the reviewer who decides, meaning the person who actually wrote the review. When its borderline at 2.5/4 they can swing either direction.

Are you just not reading? The writer of the review is the one who decides if it qualifies as fresh or rotten.

:lmao:

It's TDKR all over again.
It is every major release over again.

photo.JPG

Keep the crazy Rotten Tomatoes conspiracy theories coming guys! They are hilarious!

It's still not as bad as the Dark Knight Rises fanboys last year. They were sending death threats to reviewers who weren't praising the movie. And coming out with outlandish off the wall comments and theories. Heck one reviewer quit or got fired because of fanboys overreacting to his review to DKR. I am like really, it's just a movie calm down. Thankfully none me of us Marvel/ Iron man fans have gotten that bad.

Last edited:
True dat.

The TASM reactions were sidesplitting though.
It makes you realize most aren't major film people. They stick to the genres they like, but don't really branch out and thus don't really understand how these things work. After you have read a few hundred different reviews for many different films, you start to get the hang of it (Thank you Roger Ebert). But if you live in the bubble, you start to think percentages matter and don't take into regard what 2.5/4 actually means to a lot of reviewers.

It's still not as bad as the Dark Knight Rises fanboys. They were sending death threats to reviewers who weren't praising the movie. Heck one review quit or got fired because of fanboys overreacting to his review to DKR. I am like really, it's just a movie calm down. Thankfully none me of us Marvel/ Iron man fans have gotten that bad.
So you missed the Avengers I see. Because it got just as bad. Actually, possibly a tiny bit worse. It was quite shameful.

It's still not as bad as the Dark Knight Rises fanboys. They were sending death threats to reviewers who weren't praising the movie. Heck one reviewer quit or got fired because of fanboys overreacting to his review to DKR. I am like really, it's just a movie calm down. Thankfully none me of us Marvel/ Iron man fans have gotten that bad.

Let's not go down this road. As I remember it, Avenger superfans made incredibly insensitive sexist remarks and talked about raping and decapitating the critic that gave The Avengers the first negative review.

Fanboys are Fanboys.

Just saw the movie and it completely subverted every expectation I had...in a strange kind of good way. It's hard to put in words, it almost feels like a James Bond movie with the way they handle the storytelling. Honestly, it feels like the most comic book of the movies so far and also the least. I'll have I see it another time or two o really be able to figure out how. I feel. That said, it's a good movie no matter what although I see why some people may end up thinking it's bad. I do have to wonder what the **** this means for Avengers 2 though.

Let's not go down this road. As I remember it, Avenger superfans made incredibly insensitive sexist remarks and talked about raping and decapitating the critic that gave The Avengers the first negative review.

Fanboys are Fanboys.
Yeah, that was what I was talking about. Ridiculous.

It makes you realize most aren't major film people. They stick to the genres they like, but don't really branch out and thus don't really understand how these things work. After you have read a few hundred different reviews for many different films, you start to get the hang of it (Thank you Roger Ebert). But if you live in the bubble, you start to think percentages matter and don't take into regard what 2.5/4 actually means to a lot of reviewers.

This.

A 77% isn't a bad score. It's still an above average score. Hell, who cares if it dips into the 60s? The ultimate opinion belongs with the viewer. If IM3 is fantastic to him or her, then who cares what some critic says?

This.

A 77% isn't a bad score. It's still an above average score. Hell, who cares if it dips into the 60s? The ultimate opinion belongs with the viewer. If IM3 is fantastic to him or her, then who cares what some critic says?

Validation. But too be fair, I use to need it too. :O

Thankfully I grew out of that, but I do love the conversation on the qualities of films.

Just saw the movie and it completely subverted every expectation I had...in a strange kind of good way. It's hard to put in words, it almost feels like a James Bond movie with the way they handle the storytelling. Honestly, it feels like the most comic book of the movies so far and also the least. I'll have I see it another time or two o really be able to figure out how. I feel. That said, it's a good movie no matter what although I see why some people may end up thinking it's bad. I do have to wonder what the **** this means for Avengers 2 though.

This was pretty much my reaction as well, it still hasn't quite sunk in yet, I'll have to rewatch it.

Ah I see, oops ... I'm not on these boards most of the time but you learn something every day. As I said, I can understand how the film can divide audiences and critics if you watch it with expectations.

The stages of a fan to Rotten Tomatoes.

Stage one - Delight. Cheer at early glowing reviews on RT, starts saying things like 'I knew it!' and 'I told ya so!'.

Stage two - Justification. Use said early RT reviews to defend any pre release negativity for the film despite one not having seen it and continue to point toward the percentage meter as proof of their opinons.

Stage three - Defensiveness. Get defensive when more negative RT reviews start to come in, claim people are 'haters' or 'trolls' again in spite of not having seen the film. Will point to past films as an example of something similar happening in spite of their execution.

Stage four - Anger. Go on tangents crying fowl because the RT score has started to plummet, cries of conspiracy start getting floated, the sudden dismissal of RT as being unimportant.

Stage five - Intention. Already deciding before hand that one is going to love the movie regardless of any negativity that has subsequently been brought up in both RT reviews and regular cinema goer feedback.

Stage six - Denial. Usually disguising the fact that the film isn't as good as they hoped by claiming 'it's not meant to be Citizen Kane' or by trying to justify poorly executed story devices simply because they don't want to contribute any negativity to a character they love.

Stage seven - Acceptance. Never happens.

Thankfully none me of us Marvel/ Iron man fans have gotten that bad.

They got pretty rabid when that one female critic gave the first negative review of Avengers.

Validation. But too be fair, I use to need it too. :O

Thankfully I grew out of that, but I do love the conversation on the qualities of films.

Agreed. :up:

Everybody eventually grows out of that 'validation' phase. If I hadn't, myself, I wouldn't survive as a Carolina Panther fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"