Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread. - Part 1

Discussion in 'Iron Man 3' started by Thread Manager, Apr 29, 2013.

?

Rate the movie!

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

11. 10

12. 9

13. 8

14. 7

15. 6

16. 5

17. 4

18. 3

19. 2

20. 1

21. 10

22. 9

23. 8

24. 7

25. 6

26. 5

27. 4

28. 3

29. 2

30. 1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

I just wouldn't trust him. I don't trust anyone who likes to blame others. But hey, we have Andrew Luck. So it isn't simply the turnovers. It is how and when they occur, and how a team leader handles losses.

2. Leenie

Leenie Well-Known Member

Just got back home, and ... Well ... I enjoyed the HELL out of this movie. It was a Shane Black movie through and through, which isn't a bad thing in my opinion!

Concerning The Mandarin:

[BLACKOUT]This twist will divide fanboys, and I can see it being debated for years to come. I can see why it isn't one's cup of tea. I acknowledge that. In the context of the movie, though, it worked for me ... And in the end, we actually did get The Mandarin, in his dragon tattooed glory. Killian himself professed that he was indeed The Mandarin, so it wasn't just a "fake" character.

Did I want 10 magical rings? Well, I'll admit that I wouldn't complain at all about getting a 100% accurate adaptation from the comics, but I can see why they didn't go that route. The Iron Man movie trilogy has been about science: Science being used for good vs. science being used for evil. The magical stuff is saved for the Thor movies, which works for me in the MCU. You take all of the different elements from each of the Marvel solo movies and mesh them together for The Avengers films. At least that's how I see it. Disagree with me as you wish. :yay:[/BLACKOUT]

Is Iron Man 3 better than The Avengers? Well, no. The Avengers is an extremely difficult act to follow, and I think Iron Man 3 managed to do that very well.

Is Iron Man 3 better than Iron Man 2? You betcha. Iron Man 2 is a very fun movie, but it's a movie that can be easily topped, and Iron Man 3 did that quite easily, in my opinion.

Is Iron Man 3 better than Iron Man 1? Right now, I'm going to say yes and no, leaning more towards no. That doesn't mean this movie isn't any good though! I quite loved it, but I may prefer the first one still. I will say this though: The finale in Iron Man 3 tops the finale in the first movie by a mile, without a doubt.

All in all, I give this movie about an 8.5/10 for now. This movie is a mashup of Iron Man, Lethal Weapon, and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which suited my fancies just fine. MCU: Phase Two is off to a really good start. Bring on Thor!

Oh yeah, and Iron Man is the best superhero trilogy to date in my eyes. I can easily say that now. :im:

3. redfirebird2008

redfirebird2008 Well-Known Member

I hate 3D too. I wish they would offer 2D IMAX showings.

4. DarthSkywalker

I am right there with you my friend.

The fact that I can't see MoS in IMAX without 3D angers me to so much. :cmad:

5. YoungE808

YoungE808 Well-Known Member

I prefer the action sequences in 2 over 3. The race track scene was great and watching Iron Man & WarMachine tear into Vanko's bots while they bantered with each other was beautiful.

How Killian ripped through so many of Tony's suits without getting owned and then double shotted by Pepper? What?

6. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

Also is it me or does 3D ruin the picture sometimes? It was especially noticeable in IM3. You could tell they didn't really put in a lot of effort in the post-3D conversion. It made a lot of the scenes look smaller than they were, and the beginning sequence with Tony assembling the Mark 42 looked really blurry and botched because of the 3D. Man I hate 3D.

7. ITheSymbioteI

ITheSymbioteI Well-Known Member

Come on. Thats really flimsy at best and you know it. That's really trying to stretch there. Watch Jeremy Jahns new spoiler vid on it. It explains what I think perfectly.

It a plot that makes sense for all intents and purposes. Just not the one we were promised from the first trailer, or at least the expectations that it suggested for the story. That's all. If the lore didn't exist, the story would have been perfectly fine.

8. mkilban2

mkilban2 family1stclothingco.com

I've seen about 3 tweets from non-comic friends loving the movie, no mention of disliking the 'twist' if anyone cares lol.

9. DoomsdayApex

DoomsdayApex Well-Known Member

Eh, that press conference was overblown. He had every right to be pissed at the coaching staff. Chud refused to let Cam audible (which is a strength of Newton's). Keep in mind as well, he wore the towel when they won too.

Trust me, don't sleep on him just because he's hated by analysts and pundits. A ton of detractors were jumping with glee when he struggled at the beginning of season because Cam made them eat copious amounts of crow in 2011.

It's easy to blame him for a kicker missing a game winning FG or Smitty tripping (causing a pick six) or a safety allowing a 60 yard completion.

10. Quasimod0

Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

Wow! Got back!! EASILY the best out of all the solo movies. Honestly one of the funniest, most entertaining movies I've ever seen. The only reason id rank it below the avengers is because... It's the avengers. Lol.
    9.5 out of 10

And the mandarin was great, one of the best parts of the film. And killian was a terrific villain. Best villain of any iron man film

11. redfirebird2008

I've only been to one 3D show in recent years and that was Avatar in December 2009. The big thing I remember was that as soon as I put on the glasses, the screen looked smaller. I took the glasses off to make sure I wasn't going crazy and sure enough there was a big difference between my real vision and looking at the screen through the 3D glasses. What is the point of forking over the money for IMAX if they're going to make you wear glasses that make the screen look smaller? Ripoff.

12. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

First up for Marvel's second phase of films is the third film in the hit Iron Man franchise. In this installment, we find Tony Stark is about to go head to head with his arch-nemesis...sort of. Not really. If there is one thing that can be said about Iron Man 3, it is that there is a lot to talk about.

The film makes a point of trying to make Tony Stark rely less on the Iron Man armor and fend more for himself. Stark is dealing with a lot in this film. After the events of The Avengers, Stark is experiencing PTSD and anxiety. He doesn't sleep for days and he does little more than tinker with his suits. I like this angle for Stark. The PTSD provides some good humor in the film, but it also helps us get into Stark's head. The scene where he tells Pepper about everything he is going through since the events in New York is one of the best scenes of the whole series. On top of this, Tony becomes obsessed with revenge when the Mandarin's plot hits close to home, but the conflict challenges him in a way that the series desperately needed. In Iron Man 2, the suit made everything too easy. Watching Tony Stark have to do things on his own was a breath of fresh air.

While the story does a lot right with Stark, the film has some glaring plot holes or moments that make Stark look stupid. When the Mandarin's people come and shoot missiles at his home, Tony Stark finds himself very unprepared (despite challenging the terrorist on TV and giving him his address). The well advertised Mark 42 by this point isn't weapons capable, but it is the armor Tony chooses for the confrontation. Why? If people are trying to kill you and your loved ones, shouldn't you have been better prepared? Stark has 42 armors, why did he pick the one that he can't fight back easily with? Furthermore, later in the movie, Stark allows JARVIS to remotely control the Iron Man armors! If he was able to do this all along, why not call on the other Iron Men for help? Seems more practical than letting terrorists trash your very expensive home and endangering Pepper. I know they had to make the armors out of Stark's reach, but the way it is done has too many plot holes. The film's ending also makes the core struggle of Stark's character moot. In Iron Man 2, using the arc reactor is poisoning his blood and killing him, but he needs it to keep the shrapnel at bay. At this film's end, Stark has the shrapnel removed with literally no explanation as to why he can do it now but not then. It makes the solution to his heart problem seem easy, and one wonders why he never did this in the first place! I can see the logic behind it, but it is poorly developed.

But, that isn't the main issue everyone wants to talk about. No, the elephant in the room is the villain. In the advertisements, they tease us with Sir Ben Kingsley himself as the Mandarin! Iron Man's ultimate nemesis and the leader of the Ten Rings! Or so we thought. As it turns out, Kingsley was a decoy for the real mastermind, Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce) who created this Mandarin with the help of a think tank to cover up the bad side effect of experiments on his minions that may result in spontaneous combustion! I know comic book fans and Iron Man purists hate this twist, but honestly, I didn't mind it. The twist is shocking and the idea behind it is well done. Killian's goal of using a false face in order to manipulate the major players in the background is a great idea, and a good social commentary on the media. Granted, the flashback scene that reveals Killian was basically Syndrome from The Incredibles is fairly weak, but I think the idea mostly makes up for this. This was a very bold choice for Marvel, and I felt it worked.

While the film is better than most efforts at the third film in a superhero series, it will no doubt be regarded as one of the MCU's most divisive films amongst its fans. I felt that Iron Man 3 was an improvement over Iron Man 2, but falls short of the first film in the series. The ideas for a genius film are there, but a few bad plot holes keep it falling short of that potential. It also has a post-credits sequence that is amusing (bringing back Mark Ruffallo is always welcome), but unlike many other post-credit scenes, it really isn't essential or builds toward the next film in the Marvel canon. But at the end of the day, Robert Downey Jr. is amazing, the movie is fun, and it is a good addition both to the Iron Man franchise and the MCU in general.

Overall rating - 3.5/5

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  13. kguillou

kguillou Well-Known Member

Just got back and I really enjoyed this movie. But I gotta say this movie was a very...interesting experiment. It was very weird and quirky in its execution and there were some moments where I was like "ok....where are they going with this?". But all in all this is a really fun movie. The momentum was sustained (unlike Ironman 2 where the entire middle section was lackluster) and RDJ didn't go overboard with the improvisations like he did in IM2.

I gotta really hand it to the marketing team of this movie. They COMPLETELY misdirected us with the advertising and trailers. This movie is NOT what you expect; the tone, the story, they completely fooled us. In this day and age where trailers spoil 80% of the movie I really gotta hand it to them for surprising us like they did. Bravo.

14. DarthSkywalker

Yes, it can deteriorate the image. Me and my glasses only do 2D, but I really, really wish I could watch IM3, Star Trek Into Darkness and MoS in IMAX.

To each there I own. You might very well be right. But I just wouldn't trust him.

15. Quasimod0

Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

Why is the poll closed if the movie just came out?

16. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

If the lore didn't exist, there'd be something else to whine about.

There is no way for Marvel to please everyone.

If they film an exact frame by frame adaptation of an Iron Man story, they aren't being creative enough.

If they change things, they aren't being faithful to their own source material.

There will always be complainy people.

17. jmc

jmc away for a while

I'm glad I saw the film in 2D, from what I've heard the 3D is once again pointless. When are people going to learn? Watching 3d movies is pretty much like an abusive relationship, you keep going back hoping things will change but they never do.

18. DarthSkywalker

Considering 3D ticket sales are going down, it looks like they are slowly, but surely learning.

19. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

Because thread manager kills polls as soon as the thread rolls over.

20. terry78

terry78 I'm gonna need more rope

"I loved you in A Christmas Story."

Biggest laugh from the audience tonight.

21. JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy Well-Known Member

I liked the movie but...I'm finding it a little difficult to rate.

Pros:
    For one thing, the action scenes were awesome and the dialogue/exchanges were great as well. Plane scene was spectacular, as was Tony's raid on the mansion and of course the ending. The story was very original which I loved. I really like that this was Kevin Feige realizing that IM2 wasn't great and deciding to go totally in a new direction. In that regard I loved it, because it represents a movie studio taking a risk, something which doesn't happen nearly enough. Taking a chance on a new director is a great thing to do because it comes with a new style, a new take, a new perspective. This was clearly a different style movie than the first 2.

Cons:
    Biggest con for me by far is that it was clear Shane Black does not have a lot of experience directing. The movie just felt sloppy at times. The story was great, the action was great, the dialogue was great. It just wasn't put together very well. The story just never really stops to breath. It just runs and runs and runs and I felt like I was trying to keep up with it. It's actually what I thought was so great about the Avengers - the execution was flawless. The pacing and structure of the movie was just fantastic, and I thought it was pretty clear that while he had never directed a movie before, Joss Whedon clearly has tons of experience editing stories together to make a final product. Watching this movie I thought it was clear Shane Black does not have that same experience.

I almost think this is a movie where they should have gotten a veteran television director to direct a script by Shane Black, similar to what they are doing with Thor and Cap 2. I am very much looking forward to those 2 films now to see what guys that have worked in tv for so long end up producing.

Overall though I am thoroughly pleased by the movie, particularly for the action and the originality of the story. It was a fresh take on a comic book movie, which is always a welcome, and I can't wait to see it again.

22. redfirebird2008

What's annoying is my local theater seems to put the 2D show of the same movie on a smaller screen. When I saw TA, they had two massive screens in 3D and one tiny screen in 2D. So that's how I was forced to see it. Annoying as hell knowing that I was able to see something like Inception on a much larger screen because 3D wasn't even a factor with that movie.

23. A Necessary Evil

A Necessary Evil One. Bad. Day.

Yeah, after that, and a few others, I couldn't hear what some scenes said, because they brought the house down. :funny:

Now to the review.

I'm not an avid Iron Man fan...at least the comics. I own a few, and have only really found a love for the storyline "Extremis", for which the storyline of the movie is based on. It really does the story justice, and adds a few twists and turns here and there. There's a surprise certain to anger die hard Iron Man fans, but for me, I loved it. Took a terrible, racist character from the comics, and flipped it on itself. Definitely a worthy addition to any CBM's collection, and a great "third" entry to the series.

24. DoomsdayApex

DoomsdayApex Well-Known Member

Like I said, trust me. We Panther fans know Cam is our franchise QB. Afterall, this is the guy who singlehanded took an entire mid-level program to the BCS national championship, and won, and broke Peyton Manning's records in the NCAA and NFL.

Surround him with talent, and he'll give you a Superbowl. We could have gone 11-5 last year had our defense and special teams not been dreadful.

25. danoyse

danoyse Snikt. Stab. Repeat.

Biggest laugh at my show too. And basically every time he snapped at the kid...which was, you know, every time he talked to him. :funny:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.