Iron Man 3 Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread. - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kyle Smith said:
There's so much dumb stuff in "Iron Man 3" that I expected the credits to say, "Written and directed by Thor."

:pal:

Thats kind of funny..

Kyle Smith expressed exactly what I have in mind about Iron Man 3.

I think they are very comparable (tdkr and im3) not just in terms of boldness but just fan reaction and thematic material. I would love to go into it but maybe not this minute, i just felt the need to set up a future comparison from me later on. :funny:

The comparisons between the two are complete apt. It's going to make for interesting discussions down the line.

After one viewing of Three, I still prefer Rises but Three's no slouch. It delivers the goods.

Save this post so when I see it with my boy on Friday, I can renege on all of it if I think differently. But, I don't think I will. :woot:

Last edited by a moderator:
Kyle Smith
New York Post
ico_topcritic_star.png
Top Critic

Stephanie Zacharek
Village Voice
ico_topcritic_star.png
Top Critic

Does the Post have any credibility left at all....?

This, coming from the rag that splattered pictures of the wrong Boston bombers all over the front page, then refused to retract or even apologize after the boys in blue picked up the right guys.

This, coming from the rag that splattered pictures of the wrong Boston bombers all over the front page, then refused to retract or even apologize after the boys in blue picked up the right guys.

I'm sure you'll like the film cherokeesam. Of that I have no doubt.

But admit it, the idea of Thor with writers block while sitting at a type writer is funny as all get out.

These reviews are making me pretty excited about the movie. We have everything from the movie being as good as Avengers, the best Iron Man movie, and it being merely average. I like that the movie is divisive and people are talking about it.

Almost all of the criticisms of this movie from professional critics have nothing to do with the Mandarin, rather the level of action/too much CGI. I haven't heard anything really bad about the movie, mainly nitpicks. Am I wrong about this? Perhaps I am different than most people on here but I want to see a funny, vibrant, quality action movie. Truth be told, we don't get very many of those anymore from Hollywood. Long gone are the days of Lethal Weapon, True Lies, Beverly Hills Cop, Temple of Doom, Die Hard with a Vengeance, Rush Hour, and Bad Boys. I am tired of all the crazy expectations and demands for Oscar quality scripts for every movie. Tired of high school drama, bleakness, and all that stuff. I think when the smoke of the superhero movie era clears, Tony Stark (along with Joker) will be one of the most popular characters of the 2000's. The Indiana Jones of this timeframe. Our kids in 2026 are going to think Iron Man 2 is cooler than Spider-Man 2. Why? Because the character is funny, high tech and doesn't really care that he is a d--k. A perfect symbol of this era in my opinion. That's pretty cool to me. So that being said, I hope people enjoy the ride while it lasts. Last Crusade wasn't the greatest movie ever made. It wasn't better than Raiders and featured some weak villains. Weaker villains than Temple of Doom in some ways. None of that stuff really matters though because the most important thing was Harrison Ford at his best. You are seeing RDJ at his. Don't get so hung up on villains and intricate plots. Just have fun enjoying great actors doing their thing. Comic fans can't do this anymore. You only want to drink cognac. Try drinking an ice cold Corona with a lime on a warm summer day, laying in a hammock. It can be just as rewarding.

And what exactly does that have to do with their film reviews? No need to attack or to be so defensive. Just one opinion. Have you seen it cherokeesam? Because it seems you have already formed an opinion on the film.

Though for the sake of this forum I hope the RT score gets back over 90, or things could get ugly here. :funny:

I'm sure you'll like the film cherokeesam. Of that I have no doubt.

But admit it, the idea of Thor with writers block while sitting at a type writer is funny as all get out.

He'd have a hard time typing with Mjolnir. "By Odin! The 'Enter' key hath been smashed to bits by my enchanted mallet"

And what exactly does that have to do with their film reviews? No need to attack or to be so defensive. Just one opinion. Have you seen it cherokeesam? Because it seems you have already formed an opinion on the film.

Though for the sake of this forum I hope the RT score gets back over 90, or things could get ugly here. :funny:

I've got just as much right to be defensive about IM3 as certain other posters have to be offensive about it. When dude comes in here posting two lousy reviews out of 77 counted (for the record, RT currently lists 10 out of 77 as Rotten, the rest as Fresh), it's pretty clear that he's not putting that in context.

And The New York Post sucks, plain and simple....I take every available opportunity to point that out. :oldrazz:

I think whether I like it will come down to how well it services the extremis story. One of my favorite comics.

He'd have a hard time typing with Mjolnir. "By Odin! The 'Enter' key hath been smashed to bits by my enchanted mallet"

The thought of Thor smashing a type writer while screaming "I say thee NAY" is quite funny.

Guys I was fortunate enough to catch my first viewing of IM3
Keep in mind i saw the first 2 trailers, avoided tv spots, and knew the plot twist:
That being said here is my review

This pretty much sums up my reaction to the movie:
yes-rudy1.gif

First things first, this movie is as good as the Avengers! 10/10 and this is coming from a die-hard Thor fan.
Tony's character development was surprisingly great and even better than IM1. The panic scenes were awesome and added little more flesh to Tony, RDJ is Tony Stark and that guy knows how to act. The action sequences were spectacular with more emphasis on hand-to-hand combat, which I absolutely loved.
BTW IRON ARMY = ORGASMIC
The humor was just perfectly handled, don't understand where the overdoing of humor is coming from. This movie handles the whole TDKR plot of hero being absent to recuperate part better imo (my only TDKR reference)

Now the most important part: The Plot Twist
The twist happens half-way through the movie, and I was completely disgusted and angered by "Mandarin" reduced to a comedian. The whole scene of Tony talking to kingsley's character threw me off. But i knew about the plot twist beforehand, so i was not that angry but more disappointed.
And Then this Scene happened:
When Killian defeated Stark in the 1-on-1 fight in the finale, he stood over the pillar and said: "I'm the Mandarin" with the extremis glowing his dragon tattoos, in a pose just like the pic below
Mandrin1.jpg

At that moment I completely forgive the plot twist, not to mention Extremis Mandarin/Killian is very menacing, (now I am worreid about Zod in MoS)

The only cons I could find are nitpicky stuff that actually could make this movie better than the Avengers and they are:
-The whole Mandarin fake reveal scene should be altered, Ben kingsley was so comical in that scene it threw me off. its probably what caused the only negative reactions.
-Pepper was awesome at the end with Extremis, but I kinda wished Tony finished off Killian than Pepper. But completely satisfied with the prodigal son "killing" Killian.
-I was a little bothered by the fact that Tony just said that he cured Pepper in a monologue, basically shrugging it off, could have added more to it.
-The scene were Maya asks Tony for the solution to the overheating problem of extremis when Tony is caught only increased my hope for Extremis infused Tony. But sadly that didn't happen.
Here is hoping that Tony makes a better version of extremis in Avengers 2.
-Rebecea Hall's potrayal of Maya was very touching, but sadly she had only very few scenes, and her character was just filler for someone who invented extremis. Wasted potential there.
-Kingsley's character was only releavant the first 10mins, again wasted potential. Don't understand why they even bothered with casting Kingsley.
-Also didn't like how Rhodey just left after he got his suit back with the president, instead of helping Tony through the fight. But Rhodey still held on high in IM3 and had his moments

There it is guys, just the best trilogy ending out there (at least for me). Also I loved the Avenger references, especially with Killian referencing Thor.
I want to make a lot of comparisons with TDKR, not because it was a similar movie, but because it shared a lot of the story elements.
The issues with TDKR were properly handled in IM3. I am glad they brought in the plot twist halfway through the movie rather than the end and I loved the send off Killian got (even with Pepper doing it).
All the characters shined in IM3, even Hansen (Hall's acting was great, Hansen should have gotten more screentime), and Jarvis was awesome especially during the Mansion attack scene. (saving Tony and its conversation with him, "take a deep breath sir":bow: probably the best thing Tony invented and if you think about it, Jarvis is technically Iron Army) Also loved the kid helping Tony through his anxiety attacks. ("You are a mechanic right?" - the scene almost brought me to tears)
Even James badge dale shined as the classic henchman (loved his send off) and Happy was great too. I also sympathized with Killain at the beginning. Also loved Yinsen cameo.
I also loved the fact that by the end of the movie, Tony Stark hasn't changed one bit in terms of abilites. He defeated his foes purely through his intellect, even though everyone including Pepper was physically more powerful than him at one point.

Now the post credit scene, It was awesome. With all that has happened in IM3, we find that the entire movie is narrated by Tony to Bruce/Hulk/Ruffalo which was a nice touch. Also DONT WATCH IN 3D, IT RUINS THE ACTION SEQUENCES
It was a great scene but didn't really move the Phase 2 foward. But that doesn't matter, cuz if this is the quality we are getting for phase 2, then oh boy
my body won't be able to handle Avengers 2. especially after catching Thor 2 trailer in the front, crowd went beserk when loki appeared.
I could write a book review for IM3 but right now:
tumblr_meiyt5pE8w1rwnxme.gif

Last edited:
In what dimension are they POSSIBLY the same thing ?

When Liam Neeson was revealed to be Ra's people went "hey that's pretty bad ass, Ra's isn't dead" Plus they replace a cool looking Ra's with a cool looking Ra's thats also Liam Neeson !!!!

In IM 3
they replace a cool looking villain with, no offense to Guy Pierce, a lesser badguy.

I'm not saying it's the same exact thing. Sure there are several differences in the story and execution. I just think people are going overboard with hating the idea. I suppose you could be mad if the character loses his personification , but that gripe should be presented separately.

my body won't be able to handle Avengers 2. especially after catching Thor 2 trailer in the front, crowd went beserk when loki appeared.

I know... This is an amazing time to be a fan of these characters :word:

Avengers 2 is going to be off the hook.

I expect...

Each solo film to leave the main Avenger hanging on some way, like IM3, so reuniting them is a big deal. Not sure what that will mean for Thor, but probably something big. That would be my guess anyway.

Also i don't understand the criticism of Killian's motivations, it was pretty clear due to the opening flashback.

Although I've been snarky about the extreme reaction to the twist, it has got me thinking about comic book adaptations in general.

These things have to be hard to do. I think fans take that for granted. How much creative interpretation should the writers/directors be able to put on these films? Sticking to the same formula each time gets stale and predictable. Fans will get annoyed that all these films do the same thing (there were already complaints that Phase 1 wasn't taking enough risks with their films) and yet at the same time if a filmmaker has the balls to try something bold with the material they get **** for that too (I'm not just referring to Iron Man 3, but the trend in general).
They have to try and find the balance between making a comic book film for fans and the general audience. As much as us fans want the films just for us, it's selfish and unfair to have that mindset.
I do ask that comic book films retain the essence of the characters they are adapting. By essence I mean character traits and by that I mean personality, motivation, actions. Some are adamant that Killian is NOT the Mandarin. Some argue he is. What we have to ask ourselves is: Does the ethnicity count? Do the alien rings count? Are they really part of who the character is on a psychological level, or are they just window dressing? Is Killians master plan and scheming all that different from what the more updated version of The Mandarin would do? I don't think so, no.

It's funny how the comparison with the 3rd act of BB is being brought up as a comparison with the 3rd act of IM3. I was checked out of both movies by the 3rd act but I think BB handles the reveal much better if I had to choose between the two.

As for the 3rd movie curse I think the only 3rd movie I have ever seen where the 3rd movie was the best instalment is Toy Story 3.

Why do you keep attacking everyone who didn't like the movie in such a mean way? :whatever: This is not about the Boston bombers, this is what he thought about the movie. You're not obliged to agree with him, but seeing how you get personally offended every time someone says something bad about the movie makes it seem like you take all this very personally. Don't.

It's funny how the comparison with the 3rd act of BB is being brought up as a comparison with the 3rd act of IM3. I was checked out of both movies by the 3rd act but I think BB handles the reveal much better if I had to choose between the two.

As for the 3rd movie curse I think the only 3rd movie I have ever seen where the 3rd movie was the best instalment is Toy Story 3.

What is this checked out non sense? So towards the ends of both movies you just stopped caring or paying attention?

Kyle Smith
New York Post
ico_topcritic_star.png
Top Critic

Great review, my thoughts exactly.

I've got just as much right to be defensive about IM3 as certain other posters have to be offensive about it. When dude comes in here posting two lousy reviews out of 77 counted (for the record, RT currently lists 10 out of 77 as Rotten, the rest as Fresh), it's pretty clear that he's not putting that in context.

And The New York Post sucks, plain and simple....I take every available opportunity to point that out. :oldrazz:

Wait... you haven't seen the movie yet ?

I don't quite get how the whole 'third movie curse' applies to Iron Man 3 when Iron Man 2 is widely considered to be inferior. Third movie curse implies a failure of the third story compared to the first two films which are at worst equal footing with one and other.

What is this checked out non sense? So towards the ends of both movies you just stopped caring or paying attention?

Yeah, I did that with TDRK on first viewing, I just stopped caring with about 10-15 mins to go in the film.

I don't quite get how the whole 'third movie curse' applies to Iron Man 3 when Iron Man 2 is widely considered to be inferior. Third movie curse implies a failure of the third story compared to the first two films which are at worst equal footing with one and other.

The 3rd movie curse when regarding superhero movies is that the 1st two being good and the 3rd ends up being a bad movie. IM2 may not be as good as IM1 but it's still a good movie. So the challenge of the curse in the case of IM3 is still there.

The 3rd movie curse when regarding superhero movies is that the 1st two being good and the 3rd ends up being a bad movie. IM2 may not be as good as IM1 but it's still a good movie. So the challenge of the curse in the case of IM3 is still there.

Look, IM2 may not have been a complete disaster, but it was a dog's breakfast, it's an ordinary movie and topping it frankly wouldn't have been that hard. So the third film curse really can't be applied to Iron Man when he's second film was frankly a waste of everyone's time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"