The Amazing Spider-Man OFFICIAL Rate & Review the Amazing Spider-Man! - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Initially I gave the movie 7/10 - now I would give it 8.5/10.

Didn't get a chance to see this in the theater.
I was Finally able to watch it last night.

I'll be honest.......I was kind of hating on this movie before it came out.
Didn't really care for what I was seeing in the stills and the trailer.

But after watching it?
I absolutely loved it.
It's now one of my favorite comicbook films.
I actually really liked Garfield as Peter/Spiderman...which I didn't think would ever happen.

The only complaint that I had before seeing it and still stand by..
I dislike the suit.
I would have like a more classic design.
Luckily the main problems I had with the suit(No "belt",the stripes down the legs,the silver shoes) were either obscured by shadows or unnoticeable in all the action.

10/10(Even with the suit...)
:woot:

Now....the long wait for the sequel

Didn't get a chance to see this in the theater.
I was Finally able to watch it last night.

I'll be honest.......I was kind of hating on this movie before it came out.
Didn't really care for what I was seeing in the stills and the trailer.

But after watching it?
I absolutely loved it.
It's now one of my favorite comicbook films.
I actually really liked Garfield as Peter/Spiderman...which I didn't think would ever happen.

The only complaint that I had before seeing it and still stand by..
I dislike the suit.
I would have like a more classic design.
Luckily the main problems I had with the suit(No "belt",the stripes down the legs,the silver shoes) were either obscured by shadows or unnoticeable in all the action.

10/10(Even with the suit...)
:woot:

Now....the long wait for the sequel
Dang, thats a great rating. I'm real glad to hear you liked it even with the suit.
I disliked the suit at first but I've definitely warmed up to it. I think it looks good now.
Luckily they're gonna change it with the new movie, did you hear that?

The only thing on the suit I dont like is the stripe down the legs. Other than that, I think its 'amazing'.

I think the thinner strips down the arms, and the thinner red down the chest and stomach really balances the suit out. An dthe blue on the gloves is a master stroke. I say bravo to the designers.

I actually like the stripes down his legs. I just wish he had a full 'belt' around his wait to have this continual red on his suit.

Meh - 5/10

It was as I feared, too much of rehash of SM1. Overall it tried to be too many things at once and didn't really pull off anything that well.

Another Origin
A mystery
A love story
Action
Adventure
Sci-Fi

....and initially Peter was just not working imo either. He was a skateboarding, loser, kinda cool guy, stalkerish, boy genius...with parent issues. Particularly the entire opening was just ridiculous and lacked focus.

The acting was fine from everyone involved and Peter grew on me as the movie progressed. I liked the new Spidey costume and the filmed looked cool.

Lizard, a potentially awesome villain - sucked.

Glad I didn't see it in theaters. I'd still check the sequel out though....on netflix.

Last edited:
Meh - 5/10

It was as I feared, too much of rehash of SM1. Overall it tried to be too many things at once and didn't really pull off anything that well.

Another Origin
A mystery
A love story
Action
Adventure
Sci-Fi

....and initially Peter was just not working imo either. He was a skateboarding, loser, kinda cool guy, stalkerish, boy genius...with parent issues. Particularly the entire opening was just ridiculous and lacked focus.

The acting was fine from everyone involved and Peter grew on me as the movie progressed. I liked the new Spidey costume and the filmed looked cool.

Lizard, a potentially awesome villain - sucked.

Glad I didn't see it in theaters. I'd still check the sequel out though....on netflix.
:down Its your opinion, so I respect it, though I think you're being really harsh on the movie. It has similar plot points to Sm1, but is not a rehash. Peter's portrayal in the film was great IMO, and was very likable from the start. What was wrong with the opening?

The Lizard was a wasted potential, but I disagree that he outright sucked. There were so many cool things about him (the visuals, the fight scenes, and Rhys performance as Connors). The movie was worth seeing in theaters (I saw it 5 times to be exact) and I can't wait for the sequel. So if you hear that the movie gets rave reviews, you'd still watch it only on netflix?

I do agree with Mr. Fixit about Lizard though. He had potential but he wasn't anything exciting to watch or even be in a Spidey film. I feel that Sam Raimi would have done a much, much better job if he ever used Lizard, imo.

lol, I actually don't mind the lack of red belt.

Why you...:argh:

:oldrazz:

I do agree with Mr. Fixit about Lizard though. He had potential but he wasn't anything exciting to watch or even be in a Spidey film. I feel that Sam Raimi would have done a much, much better job if he ever used Lizard, imo.

After watching the film a few times, the Lizard grew on me. But it's all in the eye of the beholder.

I had my reservations from the moment the reboot was announced. The casting announcements didn't sound right. The absence of MJ & the Bugle was off-putting. The stills did nothing to sway me. Nor the trailers. I loathed the costume design and that never shanged. Finally out of sheer curiosity I broke down and grabbed it out of the Redbox. And I watched it. And I learned that all my skepticism...was completely justified. This movie was terrible. The ONLY thing I liked was the Lizard plot. Peter wasn't even likeable here. I won't even go into any lengthy details because I know I'll just be accused of being a brainwashed Raimi fanboy and all that nonsense. But bottom line, I didn't like it. And while the original trilogy may have had its flaws, Webb's take did nothing to improve on any of them. In my opinion, it missed the point. Nothing that I have loved about Spider-Man for the last 36 years came through in this film. And I won't be watching any future installments that are made in this same vain. Ever.

I would expect nothing but that sort of response from you, Chris. :funny:

Well to be fair, I could possibly feel the same way with the Batman reboot, lol.

That would imply that the Raimi films are anywhere near the quality of the Nolan films, which is absurd. :funny:

Hahaha, that is not exactly what I mean.

To Chris, Raimi's trilogy is special to him as Nolan's trilogy is special to me. Not trying to compare the quality since that would create such a devastating argument.

:down Its your opinion, so I respect it, though I think you're being really harsh on the movie. It has similar plot points to Sm1, but is not a rehash. Peter's portrayal in the film was great IMO, and was very likable from the start. What was wrong with the opening?

The Lizard was a wasted potential, but I disagree that he outright sucked. There were so many cool things about him (the visuals, the fight scenes, and Rhys performance as Connors). The movie was worth seeing in theaters (I saw it 5 times to be exact) and I can't wait for the sequel. So if you hear that the movie gets rave reviews, you'd still watch it only on netflix?

:down I'm not being harsh I'm being honest.

"It has similar plot points to Sm1, but is not a rehash."

-We saw the spider bite origin again.
-We saw Peter dealing with Flash again.
-We saw Peter ogling a chick in HS again.
-We saw Ben die again.
-We saw Peter learning about his new powers again.

Slightly modifying things isn't enough to not call it a rehash. I'd rather they'd skip all that and just get into a fresh strory.

"What was wrong with the opening?"

The pacing is off, it feels rushed & almost comical because of the sheer amount of crap that goes down. It was a very bumpy start for me.

As I mentioned Rhys & all the actors were fine. But Lizard simply wasn't the version I wanted to see. CG seemed spotty as well in some areas.

"So if you hear that the movie gets rave reviews, you'd still watch it only on netflix?"

Eh, I don't know, maybe, maybe not.

Anyway I didn't hate the movie, it was better than I expected it to be.

All I can say is that I hope ASM2 is a film that everyone (who wants to) can enjoy greatly. As much as I love ASM and think it's my favourite CBM film, I can see why others wouldn't agree with me. With the origin out of the way, ASM2 has even more potential. I don't think it's too far fetched to think that ASM2 has the chance to get as much general praise as SM2, which would be awesome.

Besides re-doing the origin, the villain, imo, was TAS-M's greatest flaw, but that was due to little to no development. Electro is a whole different ball game that can have things added to him since he's barely developed in any form featuring the villain, so TAS-M 2 has that.

The Amazing Spider-Man was better than Spider-Man 3, but that's not saying much.

Liked:

Peter's parents being brought up. An important part of Spider-Man's lore that was ignored in Raimi's trilogy.

Andrew Garfield was a better Spider-Man.

Loved how Flash got OWNED by Parker. Much better than the silly hallway scene in the original.

The guy that played Dr. Connors was better than Dylan Baker.

Peter beating up those gang members.

The wrestling ring as a nod to the scene with Bone Saw in the original.

The first person view as Spider-Man. Especially the web swing into the window reflection to reveal the suit. Fantastic!

Loved the dinner table conversation with Peter and Gwen's father. That was intense!

The Spider-Man Vs. Lizard fight scenes

Lizard wearing the lab coat.

The police mowing down The Lizard Michael Myers style. I wouldn't have minded if he died like that! :D

The rain scene. Reminded me of Daredevil.

The Man In The Shadows. If its not Norman Osbourne, its got to be Mysterio. I didn't notice he had a fedora hat with him until now.

Disliked:

Couldn't take Martin Sheen and Sally Field seriously. They overshadow their roles.

Andrew Garfield sucks as Peter Parker.

The way Uncle Ben's fate was handled.

Not a fan of the modified Spider-Man outfit.

I like Emma Stone, but as Gwen Stacy, she reminded me too much of Hilary Duff.

Mechanical webshooters being brought back. The organic webshooters were better.

The slow-motion effect was overused. It was cool the first time then it got annoying.

Hated the Lizard's design. I know its based on the original version, but I prefer the dinosaur look. Snout and all.

Dr. Connors talking to himself. Shameful rip-off of Green Goblin.

How Lizard find out Spider-Man was Peter Parker was lame!

Wounded Spider-Man near the end was complete filler.

^^^^^This !!!!!

How Lizard find out Spider-Man was Peter Parker was lame!

'property of Peter Parker'

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice going boy genius.

It was an ok movie in my opinion & I'd give it a 7.5 score. The only stuff that bugged me a little was they changed small bits on his origin, other than that a good film.

I had my reservations from the moment the reboot was announced. The casting announcements didn't sound right. The absence of MJ & the Bugle was off-putting. The stills did nothing to sway me. Nor the trailers. I loathed the costume design and that never shanged. Finally out of sheer curiosity I broke down and grabbed it out of the Redbox. And I watched it. And I learned that all my skepticism...was completely justified. This movie was terrible. The ONLY thing I liked was the Lizard plot. Peter wasn't even likeable here. I won't even go into any lengthy details because I know I'll just be accused of being a brainwashed Raimi fanboy and all that nonsense. But bottom line, I didn't like it. And while the original trilogy may have had its flaws, Webb's take did nothing to improve on any of them. In my opinion, it missed the point. Nothing that I have loved about Spider-Man for the last 36 years came through in this film. And I won't be watching any future installments that are made in this same vain. Ever.

Not ONE thing you have loved about Spider-Man for 36 years was in this movie? Really?

Now ...what exactly is it you love about Spider-Man?

In my opinion, it missed the point. Nothing that I have loved about Spider-Man for the last 36 years came through in this film. And I won't be watching any future installments that are made in this same vain. Ever.

I'd have to back OcStat on this one.

Saying you didn't like it is one thing, but to state that NOTHING that you loved about Spider-man (in the last 36 years) came through is a bit extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"