The Amazing Spider-Man OFFICIAL Rate & Review the Amazing Spider-Man! - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wish people would stop using the word 'heart' to praise or criticise a film. Nobody ever defines it when they use it, they just throw it out there as some damning achilles heel or transcendent mark of quality which can never be argued against.

Rage over.

I really wish people would stop using the word 'heart' to praise or criticise a film. Nobody ever defines it when they use it, they just throw it out there as some damning achilles heel or transcendent mark of quality which can never be argued against.

Rage over.

You put a lot of heart into that rant ;)

Let's say we wanted to make our own type of RT score based on the ratings here. Would 6/10 be considered positive? Or only 7/10?

My friends and I went and saw it on Saturday. It was my third showing and after seeing it that many times, I definitely find the plot to be pretty weak. Sure, it was an origin story so I can forgive some formulaic whatnot, but in the future they'll have to up the ante.

yea i agree, I dont think it surpassed the original spiderman 1 and 2. Aside from the spidey and lizard scenes, the rest of the movie was ok to me.

I got a chuckle out of Peter being called a seamstress.

Lliked Garfield as Parker but he was portrayed as more of a punk skater than the intelligent nerd I've expected him to be. I wish he was less cool.

He was portrayed as an outsider. There was nothing cool about him until he got spider-powers and some more confidence, which is always the point that Peter's popularity started to turn around a bit in the comics.

Right,
Took the kids to watch Spiderman yesterday, after the awesomenes (is that even a word?) of Avengers, Spiderman had a lot to live up to.
I'll not go into details, but in short....
I thought the build up was a tad slow, understandable in an origin movie I know but I felt the first act dragged a tad... However once it got going Spiderman was actually *pardon the pun) Amazing.
The CGI IMO was brilliant, the 3d elements of the web swinging scenes worked brilliantly, the CGI lizard worked well, even the spidey suit which in still shots looked a bit dodgy, managed to look great in motion. Andrew Garfields take on Peter Parker was miles ahead of Macguires version, the action sequences were stunning.. Unfortunately Marvels insistance on heroes losing their masks once again reared it's ugly head.. but that minor gripe aside Spiderman was great.

8/10

I absolutely hated Macquire's Peter Parker...this new Parker is much improved. I'm just happy they got Spider-Man RIGHT for a change.

Isn't this the guy who did the Star Wars reviews that are like over an hour each? If it is, that guy is actually a good critic. Did good videos on Indy 4, Star Wars prequels, and Avatar (if this is the same guy I am thinking of).
Meh, many of the problems they found in the prequels were also found in A new Hope and Return of the Jedi, like most of the fans he won't dissect Retun of the Jedi becuse it was art of his childhood and so brings him nostalgia :whatever:

The prequels were (are) awful awful movies. The scripts are z-grade garbage that are only slightly redeemed by the work of ILM. TPM is straight up unwatchable.

Anyone who was an adult when they saw TPM and liked it should never ever give their opinion on movies in a public forum. EVER.

That guy is a pretty good video reviewer btw. But I disagree with him fairly often.

Last edited:
RedLetterMedia, who infamously dissected the Star Wars Prequels, have posted their review of TASM. Unfortunately they found it tonally inconsistent and didn't like it.

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-the-amazing-spider-man/

I have agreed with them on everything... until now.................................. Just going outside for a minute.....

constantine_movie.jpg

......... Yep. The end of the world. Crap.

-----

I jest. A bit shocked they didn't like it. But oh well :)

When you mention that you were a fan of Dunst in the original trilogy is when I stop the video and disregard everything you've just said.
Dunst is a good actress, she was a good choice for the role, it's just that her character was badly written.

Joeyjojo72 said:
The prequels were (are) awful awful movies. The scripts are z-grade garbage that are only slightly redeemed by the work of ILM. TPM is straight up unwatchable.

Anyone who was an adult when they saw the prequels and actually likes these movies should never ever give their opinion on movies in a public forum. EVER.

That guy is a pretty good video reviewer btw. But I disagree with him fairly often.

I was 10 years old when i Watched Episode III, it was the film that got me into Star Wars, it's not perfect and Anakin's a psycho but i still like it and find it better than return of the jedi.

The Empire Strikes back is still the best star wars film and one of the best sequels of all time, The Clone Wars cartoon and expanded universe actually made the prequels make more sence, and turned Anakin into an cool interesting that could turn into such a badass as Darth Vader.

After watching his review i have to disagree with Red Letter Media's review of Amazing spider-man, i prefered Spider-Man 2 and think that it has lots of problems but the film was actually good, Andrew Garfield was a good Peter Parker and he acted like a teen, and Gwen Stacy was much better as a love interest than May Jane in Sam Raimi's originals. Once again, Dunst is a good acress, but the script didn't write her very well.

redlettermedia.com poster their video review of TASM... they mainly say that this movie doesn't have heart and that Andrew doesn't know how to portray Peter

not only that but they make totally unfair points in it too... here, watch it people: http://redlettermedia.com/

Never heard of the site, and it's clear to see why.

You get a pass because you were a kid. I get a pass for liking the pretty lousy Krull for the same reason.

To be accurate though, Krull is still a better movie than TPM. And Episode III, thanks to all the bells and whistles, is fairly watchable.

..I saw TPM as a kid and still like it the most out of the prequels.

One thing that could have been improved is the score in the movie.

Okay, finally saw the Amazing Spider-Man and my verdict? It's pretty good...in certain parts.

First of all, I thought the action choreography was also well-handled, particularly the web-slinging and wall crawling sequences from Spider-Man which I definitely think surpassed the Raimi movies. Perhaps that's, in part, because you know there are certain moment in which you can tell it's an actual person swinging as opposed to a completely CGI figure, which helps to better sell the illusion. Not to mention the POV shots actually looked great as well (although why in the world they felt it necessary to chop up the first one that got shown in the teaser trailer I have no idea). It's definitely come a long way from ten years ago

I also thought all the performances we're really well done, in particular Martin Sheen's portrayal as Uncle Ben and, surprisingly, Denis Leary's Captain Stacy (although technically he is playing himself to a degree). Andrew Garfield was pretty good, although I think he plays a much better Spider-Man than he does Peter Parker, but I think that's a fault of the material he has to work with rather than his acting ability. I mean, whenever he was in costume, that was definitely Spidey right out of the comic book, poses, quips, and all. You can tell he definitely was having fun playing the part and really got into it. And I also like how the film actually SHOWS Peter is a budding scientist rather than just telling us.

By contrast, Rhys Ifans made for a great Dr. Curt Connors but a lousy Lizard, which certainly wasn't helped by the awful design choice. Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy certainly makes for a more capable and active love interest for Peter than Kirsten Dunst's Mary Jane did in the Sam Raimi films, but she kind of came across the same as Dunst personality-wise at times and, while she and Garfield have good chemistry, the romance wasn't as engaging or developed. And while I liked Sally Field as Aunt May, she was criminally under-used in this story.

That leads me to the story, and my gosh, was it a complete and utter mess! Don't get me wrong, there ARE good and decent moments in the film, but some of those moments get ruined by inconsistent tone, choppy editing, and poor pacing. Interestingly enough, all the retold origin elements (which, yes, do follow nearly the same identical beats as the Raimi film) are actually the best parts of the movie, particularly the moments when Peter is discovering his powers (although I think Peter trying to stop Flash from bullying the student and the glass breaking when Peter slammed the front door should have been cut). But the moment after Uncle Ben's murder is when things began to slide off the tracks until, by towards the end of the film, the movie has completely derailed. Granted, I understood what the film was trying to get across with Peter wanting to get revenge on his Uncle's killer and how he learns, thanks to Captain Stacy, how he's not actually helping others, but what should be his driving motivation--his belief that his Uncle's death is his fault and that he wants to make amends--is all but non-existent and the fact that his Uncle's death and the search for his killer gets sidelined in favor of the Lizard plot doesn't help either, particularly when everything about that was by far the weakest and illogical aspect of the entire film.

Same goes for the "untold story" about Peter's parents, which, to be honest, even if the scenes that emphasized it were back in the film, it still wouldn't have added much to the overall story apart from what happened to Iffan Khan's Dr. Rafta. Oh, and BTW, the carjacker scene STILL doesn't make any sense (again, how did Spidey get into a locked car or even know the carjacker was going to steal that particular car in the first place?) and that scene with the crane operators was FAR cheesier and nonsensical than anything Raimi ever did in his Spider-Man films. However, the best scene of the film by far is the moment where Spidey saves the little boy from the car; that truly captured the essence of Spider-Man, I thought, and showed how he had became a real hero.

So overall, a pretty decent film, better than Spider-Man 3 anyway, but not quite up to the level of the first two, in my opinion. 2 1/2 out of 4 stars for me.

Last edited:
Finished watching the film a few hours ago. Very good film. Different enough from Raimi's films that I don't feel the need to compare them. A solid foundation for things to come, and a good film on its own. I'd give it an 8.5/10.

After reading and listening to alot of different reviews from around the web(pardon the pun) there seems to be this consensus that ASM is good because its some drastic change from the Raimi films.

Beyond a few things around the edges, I really don't see how people are coming to the conclusion that ASM is a drastic break from the Raimi films beyond starting at square one again. I know people seem to get real defensive when this is pointed out , but when you really get down to it ASM isn't a real drastic departure from what Raimi did.

One arguement is that ASM is more serious , brooding, realistic, interpretation of the character. Tonely , while its slightly more serious at some points during film, this film still has alot of silly and campy moments. Additionally there nothing about which would make it more realistic than the earlier films.

I've also heard that ASM is more emotional than the Raimi films and has more depth , and again I really don't see it. ASM is pretty consistent with the other films with the exception of Spiderman 3. On the other hand , whether you're moved by a film is subjective so I can see why some people would be moved more by Tobey's expression of emotions than Andrew's , or visa versa.

It also seems as if the flaws that are apparent in ASM are given a pass but those same flaws that are present in the Raimi films are used as examples as to why the Raimi films are bad.

I still think ASM is a decent film but I think the whole arguement that its somehow a totally different , superior flick to the Raimi films seems kinda of odd to me , and based is more on the fact that Raimi didn't make ASM , then any real substantive differences between the films.

If someone conceeded that the Webb film and the other films are pretty similar , but Webb that executes it better , then I could understand. However, I do think that the differences aren't so great that it warrents the pronouncements that ASM is totally fresh and new.

Its as fresh and new as possible considering its the same basic story, with certain nearly identical plot points (spider bite, uncle ben getting shot etc.) and details (the costume). The cinematography, the acting style, the editing, the humor, etc. are not in any obvious sense Raimi-esque. The use of music is different. Aunt May is nothing like the previous one. Peter is very different in many ways. Gwen Stacy is nothing like MJ. I could go on.

The reason it was the same basic story is because it's the origin of Spidey from the comics.

The reason it was the same basic story is because it's the origin of Spidey from the comics.

That's why this movie was screwed the moment they announced it was going to be a redo.

It either gets hate because it was too close to Raimi's origin, and as you said, they're both based on the same comic, so of course they're going to be similar.

On the flip side, if they would have drastically changed the origin just to keep it's distance from Raimi's film, the fans would have cried bloody murder.

That's why this movie was screwed the moment they announced it was going to be a redo.

It either gets hate because it was too close to Raimi's origin, and as you said, they're both based on the same comic, so of course they're going to be similar.

On the flip side, if they would have drastically changed the origin just to keep it's distance from Raimi's film, the fans would have cried bloody murder.

It would have benefited from having a larger time span between series. As it stands now the movie has the handicap of even more inevitable and fresh comparisons to the previous films, which tends to magnify the movie's flaws (of which there are many).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"