Official Street Fighter IV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im gonna skip it either way. I will not buy this game a third time and I dont think I care enough about any of those 4 characters to purchase them as DLC. Im content with SSFIV as it is

haven't played for about a week....boozing...wanna play hype? i'm on Live

so i was cruising the playstation store last night and just happened upon the dlc for SSF4 and i realized that there's new new costumes for characters?? i saw Ryu in street clothes, Dan with his father's mask, Cammy in some kind of Cat-woman...thing. when did these come out?

also i saw that they have all these different costumes packs for $4 a piece and then a collective pack for $17. how many costumes are in the big pack? is it the 3rd set that debuted w/ the new fighters first alternates? does it include this new 4ths set i just discovered?

there are 7 costume packs, with 5 costumes in each one

only 4 of the 7 have been released so far, the 5th is due out dec 21st, then the remaining two next year, then a month or two after that they release the combined pack that has all 35 costumes but thats not until april i believe

so whats in the $17 pack, the 2nd alternates with the new fighters' 1st?

i believe the 17$ pack is the 2nd alternates, not sure if they have the 1st alts for the new characters

Arcade Edition has been released early in Japan. Some thoughts from Daigo Umehara on the changes:

USD from NeoGAF said:
-He thinks Yun will be really good, though Zangief will be a tough match-up for him. Hasn't played much Yang, but thinks that Genei Jin will be a big difference between the two characters.
-Even though Fei lost the invincibility on HK Chicken Wing, but with the better normals and all the tools he still has available (Rekka, Tenshin, etc.), and Chun, Honda, and Balrog getting nerfs, he says that Fei is probably the strongest of the old characters.
-Yun, Yang, and Fei will be top class in AE.
-Makoto is stronger than he thought she would be.
-"I'll probably keep Guile around as a secondary."
-He really seems to fear the Zangief match-up with Yun.
-After Yun, Yang, and Fei Long, he ranked Zangief, Balrog, and C. Viper.
-He thinks Ken will be stronger than Ryu and Gouki, though they're still upper tier.
-With the nerfs, he puts Guile at upper-mid
-With the EX Green Hand changes, Sagat will have a favorable match-up against Zangief. -Puts Sagat at the bottom of the upper tier
-Seriously, half of his evaluation is, "Can they beat Zangief?"
-Balrog will be a touch match-up for both Yun and Yang, since they don't have a punish for Dash Straight, and he has his crouching fierce

Punisherrr's YT uploads of AE matches
Kim1234 and Air's YT uploads of AE matches

Tokido's Akuma seems to be the same, though he's working more to keep out of the corner. Zangitan is interesting to watch if you play Zangief and want to see the changes to EX Banishing Flat in action. You can also see the changes to Adon's wakeup game.

Mixed feelings on Fei being favored. He doesn't get free wins and has some hard links, so I doubt we'll see a flood of Fei Longs like with Sagat, M. Bison, and Guile before. But if you look at the big picture, it seems like projectiles lost some of their zoning usefulness and have become better pokes. That might be a good thing for now, but part of why 3rd Strike divided opinions was because of how little projectile zoning mattered in that game.

im pissed about the changes to guile, hes getting nothing but freakin NERFS

sonic hurricane, slower on startup and damage reduced
spinning knuckle damage reduced
sonic boom special build cut in HALF
low,medium,high flash kick damage nerfed

and he got no boosts, what a freakin joke!

Also, Guile's air throw has more startup frames on it.

Capcom gave odd nerfs to Bison, too. RH only does Super damage before the knee, 236236+3K is a charge motion, etc. I'm assuming that- like Sagat- they didn't plan on either character being as favored in their matchups as they turned out. Seems odd, though. It's not like Guile had no bad matchups or too many good ones. By comparison, there were only two characters in the game that could break even with SFIV Sagat. Far from overpowered.

Last edited:
haha wow, more great news on Guile, I hope this arcade edition isnt a mandatory update cause if its not im not downloading it, Guile is going to go from top tier to freakin bottom of the barrel joke

• Guile's damage on Flashkick, Focus Attack Dash Cancel, into Sonic Hurricane is even lower now, someone called it, "pathetic." Estimated that this takes off about 100 less damage overall.

• It seems like Guile's Light Flash Kick does about 20 less damage.

haha wow, more great news on Guile, I hope this arcade edition isnt a mandatory update cause if its not im not downloading it, Guile is going to go from top tier to freakin bottom of the barrel joke

• Guile's damage on Flashkick, Focus Attack Dash Cancel, into Sonic Hurricane is even lower now, someone called it, "pathetic." Estimated that this takes off about 100 less damage overall.

• It seems like Guile's Light Flash Kick does about 20 less damage.
Assuming this will be added to home versions of SSF,IV you will need to download it if you ever want to play the game online. Sucks bc I didnt see a need to change Guile up at all

nerf this....nerf that...screw it, nerf that too

TIRED of Nerfs already. Just BUFF characters that needed help. The game was okay as it was

The only changes I personally felt this game desperately needed was a buff in walk speeds across the board to make this game faster, reversal window shrink, and bringing back blockstrings accross the board (every character with a chainable normal to keep pressure). Everybody is freakin afraid to do crap sometimes for fear of reversals and such. it was either one of those or nothing, imo

but capcom responds with NERFS and tweaks that change entire characters (Seth losses Jump Back Stretch arms, Cammy losses Instant Strikes)

I agree, it really makes no sense, with nearly everyone else getting boosted, Guile would have been fine as is, or maybe even a tiny nerf, but almost everything he does got nerfed, and he didnt even get a single boost to compensate for it. I think when people start playing the arcade version they are gonna see they nerfed Guile way too much, he'll be the next sagat, nerf,boost,nerf, make up your damn mind capcom.

I know that they want to discourage turtling with Guile, but NERFING all his offense isn't going to encourge people to play offensive and not turtle, if anything it'll make people want to turtle more...Guile is primarily a defensive character, so why destroy his offense, while trying to make him more of an offensive player? makes no sense

Skip to 10:40 for a match between Guy and Yun.

What's the big deal? Yun has an English voiceover in Arcade Edition. Now why include that in a release that's "arcade exclusive"? Capcom Japan seemed just peachy sending SFIV cabinets here back in '08 without localized content. Unless...

I agree, it really makes no sense, with nearly everyone else getting boosted, Guile would have been fine as is, or maybe even a tiny nerf, but almost everything he does got nerfed, and he didnt even get a single boost to compensate for it. I think when people start playing the arcade version they are gonna see they nerfed Guile way too much, he'll be the next sagat, nerf,boost,nerf, make up your damn mind capcom.

I know that they want to discourage turtling with Guile, but NERFING all his offense isn't going to encourge people to play offensive and not turtle, if anything it'll make people want to turtle more...Guile is primarily a defensive character, so why destroy his offense, while trying to make him more of an offensive player? makes no sense
exactly.

all i'd want in a trade for these nerfs are easier links for his normals. i still missing things like low jab to fierce, etc. they should make the timing more forgiving so i can be more offensive with guile. i'm considering not playing the arcade update.

Finally getting my first PS3 game tomorrow, Super Street Fighter 4!!!

played arcade edition the other week. Yun is stupid fun because his offense is stupid easy to do lol

nerf this....nerf that...screw it, nerf that too

TIRED of Nerfs already. Just BUFF characters that needed help. The game was okay as it was

The only changes I personally felt this game desperately needed was a buff in walk speeds across the board to make this game faster, reversal window shrink, and bringing back blockstrings accross the board (every character with a chainable normal to keep pressure). Everybody is freakin afraid to do crap sometimes for fear of reversals and such. it was either one of those or nothing, imo

but capcom responds with NERFS and tweaks that change entire characters (Seth losses Jump Back Stretch arms, Cammy losses Instant Strikes)

Unless we are talking about different things I am sure Seth Killian said a few weeks ago that she didn't completely lost that, although it will cost you one stock of the super meter in AE. I now its not the same but I guess its fair to mention it. Sucks for Guile nefs thou, no excuses for those.

yes, cammy can use EX strikes but she builds meter very badly so this makes it a moot point.
Her game relied very much on the ability to strike from any height as many times as she wants

I translated this from a Japanese tier list discussion.

A +: Yun
A: Fei Long, C. Viper, Akuma
B+: Makoto, Ken, Dictator, Guile, Sagat, Boxer, Adon, Yang, Rufus, Zangief, Chun-Li
B: Sakura, Ibuki, Dee Jay, Ryu, Abel, Claw, Blanka, Gen, Juri, Dhalsim, Cody, Cammy, Rose
B-: Gouken, E. Honda, Seth, Guy, Dudley, T. Hawk, El Fuerte
C: Dan, Hakan

Obviously hazy stuff, but still interesting. Viper's up there with Fei Long and Akuma; if she's actually great or they're overestimating her again is anyone's guess. Makoto's the most noticeable change. Guile and Dictator may still be competitive material after the nerfs. Cammy...hmm. I saw how hard they nerfed Cannon Strike's height on the AE blog. That's disappointing. I enjoyed her ridiculous rushdowns.

Evil Ryu and "Oni" are playable in Arcade Edition. HD screencaps:

74356842.jpg
42640077.jpg
23395542.jpg

UPDATE: Anybody with footage of Evil Ryu and/or Oni is getting ther YouTube account deleted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back