Official Super Bowl XLV thread: Ah, the power of Cheeseheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if there will be a lockout, I still won't watch NASCAR.

Arians showed once again that his strategies do not work. Honestly, I will put the blame for the loss squarely on his shoulders (and Mike Tomlin's for not taking away his play calling privledges). He gave up on the run the second that Mendenhall did not pick up ten yards per carry. He continued to call those stupid dump to the side passes at least once per drive despite showing no success (I think one of them was successful and picked up a first down). He threw from the endzone on first down despite the Packers blitz attack being what it is and forced his QB into a position where had to chose between getting a safety and making a bad throw, and make no mistake, that pick six is why the Steelers lost.

The plays he was called were not tailored to the Packers defense (who are renowed for strong coverage of the outside and a strong blitz package). But that sums up Bruce Arians, doesn't it? He doesn't make a game plan to go against Dom Capers or whoever he is playing that week. He just goes out and calls the plays he likes (regardless of whether or not they will work against that particular defense). Arians needs to be fired.

But he won't be. Mike Tomlin didn't have the guts to risk pissing off his quarterback and firing him after his decision to pass with the lead and two minutes left on the clock in 30 mph Cleveland winds cost the Steelers the playoffs last season (hell, he didn't even have the balls to take away his play calling privledges after that). Why will he do it now when they made the Super Bowl and he has no pressure to do so?

I always get the vibe from Tomlin that he is more worried about being liked in that locker room than being effective. Cowher could care less about being liked. He just wanted to win. Tomlin needs to get that mentality and sack Arians. The fact that he has made three staff changes in four years is the most telling statistic about Tomlin, IMO.

At any rate, our best chance of getting rid of Arians is Bud Adams offering him the HC job in Tennessee and I'm not holding my breath for that. There is a reason that Arians is never even mentioned in head coach discussions despite being one of the most winning coordinators on paper. Its because other organizations see what a ****** coach he is.

Arians needed fired a long time ago. He is a good coach up to a certain point. When the Steelers have the lead he is fine, but when they go behind he is horrible. The only thing that saves them in that situation is if Tomlin lets Ben start calling his own plays. If they do fire him, who is free to hire out there to replace him? Or do they just promote one of the guys under him?

His play calling cost the Steelers the Super Bowl this year more then anything else. Those interceptions would not have happened if he would have stuck to the game plan and ran the ball. Mendenhall was doing a decent job of getting yards. I don't see why he kept calling passes to Wallace either, he was covered most of the game.

Over all it was a good game and it is what it is. Green Bay was the better team last night but Arians' play calling helped them get turnovers.

Arians needed fired a long time ago. He is a good coach up to a certain point. When the Steelers have the lead he is fine, but when they go behind he is horrible. The only thing that saves them in that situation is if Tomlin lets Ben start calling his own plays. If they do fire him, who is free to hire out there to replace him? Or do they just promote one of the guys under him?

His play calling cost the Steelers the Super Bowl this year more then anything else. Those interceptions would not have happened if he would have stuck to the game plan and ran the ball. Mendenhall was doing a decent job of getting yards. I don't see why he kept calling passes to Wallace either, he was covered most of the game.

Over all it was a good game and it is what it is. Green Bay was the better team last night but Arians' play calling helped them get turnovers.

You hit the nail on the head with the Wallace passing. He kept calling passes to Wallace and Miller, both of whom were covered by a really tough Green Bay secondary. The hole in the defense from a passing perspective was Hines Ward who was able to exploit a mismatch based on Woodson (who was initially covering him) being out of the game. Yet on the final drive, Arians didn't call his number. Why is that? Arians just can't or won't adapt his gameplan on the fly (which is necessary to win).

My only point of contention of what you said is that Arians is good when playing with the lead. He really isn't. The idea of killing the clock is lost on the man. He passes continuously with the lead, stopping the clock for the defense. He is a big part of the reason that Mike Tomlin had more come from behind losses last season than Bill Cowher had in his whole career.

As for who gets the job next, if Arians is fired (which I doubt will happen)....I could see Charlie Batch being given the job. There's been a lot of talk about Charlie Batch being moved into a coaching position. Tomlin would likely want someone who just defers to Ben on most occasions which is what Batch would do. Batch knows offense enough to run one and wouldn't make waves. I know that he lacks experience, but lets face it, he's essentially been a coach who wears a uniform since the 2006 season. I wonder if he'd be given the job?

Last edited:
Man, I really hate that the Packers won. I can't stand them. They had a hell of a run throw the playoffs, though, and really earned the title. I have to give them credit (as much as I hate to).

You hit the nail on the head with the Wallace passing. He kept calling passes to Wallace and Miller, both of whom were covered by a really tough Green Bay secondary. The hole in the defense from a passing perspective was Hines Ward who was able to exploit a mismatch based on Woodson (who was initially covering him) being out of the game. Yet on the final drive, Arians didn't call his number. Why is that? Arians just can't or won't adapt his gameplan on the fly (which is necessary to win).

My only point of contention of what you said is that Arians is good when playing with the lead. He really isn't. The idea of killing the clock is lost on the man. He passes continuously with the lead, stopping the clock for the defense. He is a big part of the reason that Mike Tomlin had more come from behind losses last season than Bill Cowher had in his whole career.

As for who gets the job next, if Arians is fired (which I doubt will happen)....I could see Charlie Batch being given the job. There's been a lot of talk about Charlie Batch being moved into a coaching position. Tomlin would likely want someone who just defers to Ben on most occasions which is what Batch would do. Batch knows offense enough to run one and wouldn't make waves. I know that he lacks experience, but lets face it, he's essentially been a coach who wears a uniform since the 2006 season. I wonder if he'd be given the job?

I would love to see Batch as a coach. Perhaps they kept him around for more then one reason. He could guild the Offense in the right direction, and I think he knows enough about football to know what works what doesn't in game. I have been a fan of his for a long time.

Mike Mularkey would be a good fit too. I know he is looking to be a head coach again, but he does wee at coaching an offense. And he knows how Steelers football should be played.

Last edited:
I love Mularkey but the only way that the Falcons will let him go is if he is becoming a head coach. Besides, I couldn't see Ben signing off on someone as run heavy as Mularkey.

Lmao, are you serious, dude? Please tell me ALL this was, was a vain last jab at me before forcing the end if this debate, and that you're not serious. So, in translation of your post: I have no valid point to make, and my trolling and belligerence is okay because of my red tag

I have no hate for the Raiders, the Rooneys, or Dungy, but their names arent used to invade discussions on just about every page. And if you would have read my posts and replied to me with an actual awareness of my argument, you'd have seen my point of view has zero to do with the fact that Ben is a Steeler, especially given that you and I SPECIFICALLY held discussions at length over the summer over my suspicion (due to information at the time) that Ben was probably guilty and if the Rooneys were canning Santonio Holmes, then I felt Ben should go as well. In other words: my being a Steelers fan had no sway on my opinion.

I also mentioned Mike Vick and Donte Stallworth specifically a number of times in relation to my point. I really don't understand how, as a mod, you can twist and turn another users words and belittle him for the sole reason that you disagree with me, as you have just about every time we and others disagreed with you.

All we requested was that, if we bring up Ben, that we don't have to hear a crazy, on-going rant from you that he's a rapist and should never be forgiven. For once we want civil discussion on this board WITHOUT need of intervention from a mod.

Ben is a hot topic in this thread because the Steelers made the Super Bowl. If the were outed in the playoffs or before the start of the playoffs, no one is talking about him now. But, being in the Super Bowl puts you in the spotlight. That also means your baggage. I think the topic is fair game.

If they continue the America's Game series, I'd expect Aaron Rodgers, Mike McCarthy and Charles Woodson to be involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VtF6rwNmdA

Here is a video of Christina Aguilera singing the National Anthem without error. Please shut your mouth forever with your hypocritical "only people with my political views can be Patriots" bull****, you tool.

Resorting to name calling. Very classy. :whatever:

And I'm not going to watch that video because I also think she has a dreadful voice. She was on the biggest stage in America and messed up. And doesn't care. And still got paid. And still got cheers.

I wonder if Pittsburgh fans will use the loss as fuel for their fire against "Big Ben" after all the problems he had during the last off season. Next season will be interesting. Assuming we get one, depending on whether the owners go through with a lock out.

I don't see it unless he gets into trouble in the off season. He got them to the Superbowl, unless the team goes 7-9 next year "fans" won't complain.

yet you reside in the same state as Hartford, Stamford, New Haven, Bridgeport, etc... :oldrazz:

im 45 minutes from Hartford, 45 minutes from Stamford, like 20 minutes outside of New Haven, but I did grow up in Bridgeport, don't go back too much

the new mayor there is trying to clean it up and make it the new happening place because people are getting bored with New Haven and the parking is atrocious

I live in the Valley....small cities,towns, strung together

I would love to see Batch as a coach. Perhaps they kept him around for more then one reason. He could guild the Offense in the right direction, and I think he knows enough about football to know what works what doesn't in game. I have been a fan of his for a long time.

Mike Mularkey would be a good fit too. I know he is looking to be a head coach again, but he does wee at coaching an offense. And he knows how Steelers football should be played.

I don't quite remember where I heard this, but I did hear last offseason that Batch has pretty much only remained a player so he could be in somewhat of a coaching role for quarterbacks (I'm assuming since they already have a QB coach, and so he could play if needed, with Big Ben's suspension... Good damn thing he stuck around). I have no doubt in my mind that in another couple of years Pittsburgh will draft a high-round QB (only a first-rounder if Ben slips up again or if we wait another four or five years) and Batch will be there to groom the guy. Apparently the guy has really good standing with the Rooneys.

I don't quite remember where I heard this, but I did hear last offseason that Batch has pretty much only remained a player so he could be in somewhat of a coaching role for quarterbacks (I'm assuming since they already have a QB coach, and so he could play if needed, with Big Ben's suspension... Good damn thing he stuck around). I have no doubt in my mind that in another couple of years Pittsburgh will draft a high-round QB (only a first-rounder if Ben slips up again or if we wait another four or five years) and Batch will be there to groom the guy. Apparently the guy has really good standing with the Rooneys.

I'd argue that the Steelers should've used their second round pick in 2010 to draft Colt McCoy. The Steelers had no major need for Worldis, especially with Ziggy Hood backing up Aaron Smith. That draft pick absolutely baffled me. Aside from entirely neglecting the secondary's need, they drafted in a position that there was really no need to fill. That said, there weren't any cornerbacks who warranted usage of a second round pick at that point, so I would've drafted McCoy for three reasons:

1) It sends a very clear message to Ben, that he is expendable if he ****s up again.

2) It keeps him out of Cleveland.

3) Imagine if he played in the first four games of the season at the level he played in Cleveland this year. With the talent the Steelers have at receiver and tight end, I'd argue he would've played better. Suddenly, the Steelers have some major options. They can dump Ben for some draft picks (after all, once his suspension was up his value would be high again) and continue with McCoy or more realistically, they can trade McCoy for a high first round pick or an upgrade at cornerback (maybe both). With Nnamdi Asomugha's displeasure in Oakland, we could've possibly picked up their first round and Asomugha for Ben or McCoy.

I see far more advantages to having drafted McCoy then I do Worldis.

So do I. Glad he is a Brown :oldrazz:

he'll be leaving after his contract is up, so enjoy him now

if Palmer doesn't get out of Cincy and depending on what happens up in Seattle, McCoy is going to have a starting job somewhere

Resorting to name calling. Very classy. :whatever:

And I'm not going to watch that video because I also think she has a dreadful voice. She was on the biggest stage in America and messed up. And doesn't care. And still got paid. And still got cheers.

You resorted to name calling when you called her an unpatriotic ***** because she messed up the words to a song in front of millions of people. A song that she's sung perfectly in the past. As for her not caring, I wasn't aware that you knew her. You'll never embarrass yourself on a National stage so you have no right to comment on how she feels because you simply do not know. She got cheers because people who aren't ***** have this emotion called empathy.

Take it down a notch, gentlemen.

Outside of the game which was a really good game, I have to say everything surrounding it, including the stadium, half time show, 400 fans getting effed on their tickets was pretty much a debacle.

I'm sure Jerry Jones is going to smile and say how it was a success but this was a clustereff.

I'd argue that the Steelers should've used their second round pick in 2010 to draft Colt McCoy. The Steelers had no major need for Worldis, especially with Ziggy Hood backing up Aaron Smith. That draft pick absolutely baffled me. Aside from entirely neglecting the secondary's need, they drafted in a position that there was really no need to fill. That said, there weren't any cornerbacks who warranted usage of a second round pick at that point, so I would've drafted McCoy for three reasons:

1) It sends a very clear message to Ben, that he is expendable if he ****s up again.

2) It keeps him out of Cleveland.

3) Imagine if he played in the first four games of the season at the level he played in Cleveland this year. With the talent the Steelers have at receiver and tight end, I'd argue he would've played better. Suddenly, the Steelers have some major options. They can dump Ben for some draft picks (after all, once his suspension was up his value would be high again) and continue with McCoy or more realistically, they can trade McCoy for a high first round pick or an upgrade at cornerback (maybe both). With Nnamdi Asomugha's displeasure in Oakland, we could've possibly picked up their first round and Asomugha for Ben or McCoy.

I see far more advantages to having drafted McCoy then I do Worldis.

Yeah, their repeated habit of drafting linebackers is a little mind-boggling to me. Yeah, I understand: you want to make the linebackers your primary weapon... But what did Worilds do for the team this year that maybe a corner couldn't have done better? Just about the same Big Ben did during his suspension.

There were many spots that could have been filled instead that may have even provided instant upgrades (like the offensive line and secondary), or even drafting a replacement for a player that's almost literally on his last legs (Casey Hampton, for example). And if McCoy was available, I'd have definitely said go for him.

The only people I think are not expendable on this team, at this point, are Maurkice Pouncey, Mike Wallace, Troy Polamalu, Lamarr Woodley, James Harrison, and Aaron Smith (although they're both getting old), and maybe you could argue Brett Keisel after his performance this year. The refusal to sign "big names" or draft for needs when the need is there strikes me more as arrogance or refusal to sway from the trend they've built when they really should.

Still, I would kill to see Nnamdi join Pittsburgh, still. Reports are actually circulating that he's looking to go to a championship caliber team. With his demeanor and coverage abilities, the dude could very easily be Pittsburgh's next Mel Blount or Rod Woodson. The difference between the '70s Steel Curtain and today's "Blitzburgh" isn't Mean Joe Greene, or Jack Ham, or Lynn Swann, or Franco Harris- you could really argue we have young incarnations of many of those players (probably not to that caliber, but it's clear there's a lot of young, really good players at key positions for the Steelers). The difference was Blount. You could argue that they have Polamalu now, but back then they had Mike Wagner AND Donnie Shell, and while neither of them were quite what Troy is now, they were a damned good duo, and- just my opinion- I feel like safety is an easier position to "heal" than corner is (given how safeties are used nowadays especially).

They need Nnamdi. That frees up other draft picks to get more O-linemen, a free safety, maybe a backup/project quarterback, and a tall wide receiver.

Last edited:
i'm just happy it was the fox team that covered it, they're the only network team that i like top to bottom (except troy aikman, but he's tolerable)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"