Okay the writers guild strike thing

I don't understand........what is a "fair" price for your script...what is the compensation that you "deserve" for your "art"?

This is all determined by the market. You might think you deserve more for your skill,....your boss might say you deserve less......who's right? Both of you may have subjective opinions, but in the end of the day, the market should decide that.

Lot of posters here are putting out lot of assumption about their talent,...that their ideas in their script are "one of a kind" .......so much higher quality that ...if that's the case...why are the writers getting easily replaced? If their talent can't be replaced, the boss would have a hard time getting rid of them. But the supply is high...everyone thinks their art, their script, etc...etc....is the bomb and deserves high compensation....the bosses don't think so, and the consumers could care less....

With the analogy comparing Tchaikovsky to Paris Hilton.....more people may prefer to buy the latter. I can understand someone saying the former is higher quality. I might agree with you. But at the end of the day, if you're in the business of making art FOR PROFIT....not for the LOVE of art. You can be like Picasso and paint beautiful art and be practically homeless....his art wasn't appreciated much later after his death, probably by someone who was already rich and influenced the market demand. You can't ask a business that is trying to make art....to just subsidize you for the "love of art". That's what the government is for......

I can't stand listening to people who go into entertainment industry "for the love of the art"...but then whine about proper compensation....you're in it for money, just like everyone else..

The central issue isn't being paid a higher fee for your work. The main issue is residuals.

I don't understand........what is a "fair" price for your script...what is the compensation that you "deserve" for your "art"?

This is all determined by the market. You might think you deserve more for your skill,....your boss might say you deserve less......who's right? Both of you may have subjective opinions, but in the end of the day, the market should decide that.

Lot of posters here are putting out lot of assumption about their talent,...that their ideas in their script are "one of a kind" .......so much higher quality that ...if that's the case...why are the writers getting easily replaced? If their talent can't be replaced, the boss would have a hard time getting rid of them. But the supply is high...everyone thinks their art, their script, etc...etc....is the bomb and deserves high compensation....the bosses don't think so, and the consumers could care less....

With the analogy comparing Tchaikovsky to Paris Hilton.....more people may prefer to buy the latter. I can understand someone saying the former is higher quality. I might agree with you. But at the end of the day, if you're in the business of making art FOR PROFIT....not for the LOVE of art. You can be like Picasso and paint beautiful art and be practically homeless....his art wasn't appreciated much later after his death, probably by someone who was already rich and influenced the market demand. You can't ask a business that is trying to make art....to just subsidize you for the "love of art". That's what the government is for......

I can't stand listening to people who go into entertainment industry "for the love of the art"...but then whine about proper compensation....you're in it for money, just like everyone else..

Well struck, Sentinel.....you, sir, are a gentlemen and a scholar....seriously great point....who says what is fair compenstion for work.....the employee or the employer....taking the writing and creating part out of it. The writer is the employee and the studio/network is the employer. at my job, I cant walk into my bosses office and demand higher pay because I feel I excel at my job....I'd get fired and replaced for someone who could do the job just as well for less money and wont complain....

The central issue isn't being paid a higher fee for your work. The main issue is residuals.

I think the sticking point with the studios/networks is that if they cave to giving the writers a bigger piece of those residuals...everyone else will want more...the producers, actors, etc.....

Fifteen percent on a hardcover book price $20 = 3.00
Standard royalty on a DVD = 4 cents flat, no percentage.

The writers guild wants to raise that 4 cents to 8 cents.

what has the other side offered??

Well struck, Sentinel.....you, sir, are a gentlemen and a scholar....seriously great point....who says what is fair compenstion for work.....the employee or the employer....taking the writing and creating part out of it. The writer is the employee and the studio/network is the employer. at my job, I cant walk into my bosses office and demand higher pay because I feel I excel at my job....I'd get fired and replaced for someone who could do the job just as well for less money and wont complain....
if on the other hand, all of your co-workers feel that you're being reamed and go together and ask for a raise, your boss would be much more happier to negotiate with you

there's a big difference between just replacing one person with some new guy who just needs a little bit of training and updating than a whole working staff

strength in numbers

I'm starting to get that way, and even am losing the desire to write. (Though, I do have a paying gig coming up...if/when it gets funding)

Just for the heck of it though...I'm going to e-mail some studios and tell them I'm a scab writer and will write for the cheap.

Dude you don't want to get blacklisted...trust me.

So, you're jealous because people who can write better than you (i.e. intelligently) are asking for more money?

Where did you pick up jealousy in my OG post? If TV writing was excellent than I dont care if the make more the bill gates. but it isnt thats all I'm tryin to say.

I hope you never make your way into the Writers Guild thing.

Hmmm and would tv in general be that much worse if it was?
I've heard better ideas circulating on these boards than presented in many episodes of tv favorites

Somethin to think about. Yes?:huh:

Standard cost to make a DVD = 60 cents....:whatever:
Theyve really been giving it to the writers for a long time now

that 60 cents is for the disk alone....we arent factoring in packaging....bulk packaging, shipping, processing or delivery.....

I think the writers should get a bigger piece, but the studios/networks seem to be stubborn about it....I have a feeling there will be middle ground but the WGA will get half of what they are asking.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"