Green Arrow series in the works at The CW

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, the main character is human, they can't pull the show to far into the comic book and fantasy elements without it losing its credibility with the audience. I don't really consider nolans batman real, its just a disguised reality that fools the audience into thinking it could happen.

That said, batman has that luxury because his villains are well known and human. Arrow will get boring fast, if they don't use any villains with some sort of power. They can ground it by making up some pseudo-science explanation which would be fine.

That said, batman has that luxury because his villains are well known and human. Arrow will get boring fast, if they don't use any villains with some sort of power. They can ground it by making up some pseudo-science explanation which would be fine.

Not at all.

Jack Bauer never got boring throughout 8 seasons of 24, and he never fought superpowered villains. Bourne isn't much different than him.

They can do so much with human villians, and it doesn't necessarily have to be a new villain every week. They should ideally do arcs.

I really hope to see Count Vertigo in this even if his powers is just tech. Think that's the closest Green Arrow has to a super-powered villain (aside from Brick). I don't think there's anything to worry about in terms of super freaks.

For me i still think the deal is they want the world ga lives/work in as a realistic place, and how ga will fight/take out threats. But that doesnt automatically rule out that magic/aliens/metas dont exist in this show's universe. Like i said before the best thing would be to just make it no big names of metas/magic/alien beings have gone public yet. Or the general masses just dont believe in such things. But they do exist. That is how i really hope things are handled.

It would blow to be like for example nolan's batman verse where there is no super freaks, magic threats, and the like. Now sure we dont need to see magic/super freaks all the time. But it would be a nice to to dive into from time to time if the show is a success and can run for a couple of seasons.

Now if within the pilot its stated no magic/aliens/metas exists. Then ok they totally dont want to do that stuff. But untill within the show its stated or from creators such things wont be in the show. We should just wait and see what happens. Heck look at sv we didnt get other aliens, and magic stuff into later yrs. Could be the case here for ga, start with a more realistic setting, and slowing dive into more "Super" stuff.

Is Nolan the one to blame for Superheroes going the realistic route now ?

We were blaming Singer 10 years ago.

Now its Christopher Nolan. I wonder who will be next ?

The creators did confirm it though. They mentioned they're avoiding 'comicbooky' stuff, and reinterpreting Green Arrow to be like Bourne.

They said they're going the opposite direction of Smallville.

The costume alone makes me think this is going to be way more "comic-booky" than Batman Begins, which was fairly"comic-booky" anyway.

It's the one thing DC has done right so far.

So you would be happy if they say. Took the Amazon Warrior Princess away from Wonder Woman. Because that would not be to realistic in todays world ?

Wonder Woman is a completely different story.

Wonder Woman isn't a human character, but if they handled it like Goyer/Nolan's "Man of Steel" treatment, I'd be on board (unrealistic character tossed into a realistic world).

Green Arrow, on the other hand, is human and works the best in his own grounded, realistic world.

Nolan also believes that DC characters are meant to be confined to their own worlds:

Nolan reiterated that you won't be seeing a Batman/Superman crossover in his movies. "Marvel are doing what they do and people will respond to that really well, or they won't," said Nolan. "It's not something I ever really applied a blanket rule to, but Marvel characters are very different to DC characters, and the key DC characters are very different to the minor DC characters. You've got to go back to that element of, 'What do I see when I close my eyes and think of Batman? What do I see when I close my eyes and think of Superman?' And for me a big part of that is their individuality. They are extraordinary beings in an ordinary world. And the reason I think the two are fascinating is because Superman is very specifically superpowered and obviously otherworldly; Batman is very human and flawed. They're two very different characters, but there's an elemental feeling of power in the iconography of those characters. To me that's originally because they stood alone. I need to hang on to that in my imagining of them."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/102090-christopher-nolan-on-batman-and-superman

If The Avengers is really well liked & does good Box Office wise. Hopefully the WB takes Nolan down a notch when it comes to no cross overs. The WB will want to try & make some of that money. The WB will only care about the bottom line which is money. Once they see how good The Avengers does. The next Batman franchise should be allowed to be in cross overs. Not what one guy thinks

Last edited:
Green Lantern WAS their attempt to ape Marvel's "Shared Universe" Avengers concept.

It already failed.

WB/DC is screwed now. Nolan is all they have.

Green Lantern WAS their attempt to ape Marvel's "Shared Universe" Avengers concept

It was ? I am pretty sure that was just a movie to get more Green Lantern movies going. I highly doubt a shared DC Universe Movie wise. Depended on Green Lantern

It was. That's why Amanda Waller was included.

That's also why Berlanti and Co. (and Geoff Johns) were also put in charge of "The Flash."

That was supposed to be the next film in the universe and it was all supposed to connect.

Now that's all over. Green Lantern really cost them tons. It was a massive flop given the ridiculous amounts of money they invested in it.

It's really sad, but it shows that WB doesn't know how to handle it's DC properties.

I feel like Green Lantern was darker then it needed to be. All those people just getting killed at the end was a little ridiculous.

It was ridiculous because we as an audience didn't care about them, or the villain.

It came off as silly and pointless, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

DC fans should be pissed. The fail approach to Green Lantern has pretty much doomed all the DC films outside Batman and Superman.

I can't see Warner Bros taking this massive a risk again.

^ Why should they be pissed. It's a movie that didn't deliver. It's part of the business.

I, for one, find it actually refreshing everyone here is mature enough to recognize that. All superhero movies have been gambits. Some pay off, some don't. It happens.

And you really think Warner/DC won't try other superheroes aside from Superman and Batman? Really. Sure, they'll be priority, but it's still money. I'm sure down the line we'll have another Green Lantern, the Flash, and maybe Wonder-Woman.

Rock that was only one comment prior to filming even happening and we know pilot changed a bit from when info first leaked to its shooting.. and really no different then any other shows on comic folks they will always say its a reintruptation of said character. And really we have no clue how much from comics may be drawed on if it goes to series. So really the whole realism/borune stuff could not really mean much more then the way ga fights, and how the show is not. Like I said even if we don't see x stuff in pilot, they could always bring it into show at a later point. Like sv did with magic and what not.

The tptb behind SV never said magic didn't exist from the start. They never went for the realism approach either. We had krypto-freaks from the start. They wanted it to be akin to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The show was intentionally campy. The show even made fun of this and itself during the 200th episode when they returned to the school.

And you really think Warner/DC won't try other superheroes aside from Superman and Batman? Really. Sure, they'll be priority, but it's still money. I'm sure down the line we'll have another Green Lantern, the Flash, and maybe Wonder-Woman.

One hopes, but I'm not optimistic. They were happy to have Superman shelved forever, post-SR, until the lawsuit forced their hand.

This article from last year really offers some insight into this really big hole they've dug themselves in:

While the piece doesn't comment about Messrs. Berlanti, Green and Guggenheim (who are also responsible for a script to "The Flash" that Rubinov calls "solid"), there is the suggestion that they will seek a replacement for Campbell, who has insisted he's not interested in returning for a sequel anyway. And yet, the question continues to hang in the air: do we want another "Green Lantern"?
“We had a decent opening so we learned there is an audience,” says Rubinov, employing some pretty fuzzy math. "Green Lantern" was not only the weakest performer of this summer's superhero films, grossing $154 million worldwide, but it also had the weakest opening, as its 3D advantage couldn't even vault it over the star-less "X-Men: First Class." Not to mention that overall viciousness of the reviews or the toxic word of mouth that caused business to fall by over 63% in both the second and third weekends of release, an impressive feat. Since the piece alludes to a "Justice League" film in development, perhaps the best idea, from a financial perspective, is to re-introduce the Emerald Guardian in an ensemble film. Or maybe just not spend $300 million on making a superhero movie. We're not financial analysts or anything, but that just generally seems unwise when we're talking about stuff like "Green Lantern."

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...based_on_early_story_outlines_likely_a_reboot

I wouldn't be surprised if Green Lantern gets a requel. Jeff Robinov really wants to get these movies going.

In any case, back to Green Arrow the costume still makes me think this is not going to be anywhere near as grounded as the Batman series. Not a single scrap of armour on the man as well as the bow he is using, which is very impractical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"