Green Arrow series in the works at The CW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/cw-...drama-from-greg-berlanti-and-marc-guggenheim/
Green Arrow Drama From Greg Berlanti And Marc Guggenheim Nears Pilot Order At CW
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

The CW is finalizing a deal for a pilot order to Arrow, an hourlong superhero drama based on DC Comics’ Green Arrow. It is written and executive produced by The Green Lantern co-writers Greg Berlanti and Marc Guggenheim and Fringe and Vampire Diaries alum Andrew Kreisberg. I hear that David Nutter is interested in directing the project, which takes the comic book character, created by Mort Weisinger and George Papp, and sets him in a new world with an original story that is not based on the comics, published by DC Entertainment. Arrow, produced by Warner Bros. TV and Berlanti’s studio-based Berlanti Television, was developed by Berlanti and Guggenheim who came up with the story and then brought in Kreisberg to co-write the script with them. Kreisberg, who has comics experience, having written DC Comics’ Green Arrow and Black Canary among other books, previously worked with Berlanti and Guggenheim on their ABC drama Eli Stone.

First introduced in an 1941 edition of More Fun Comics, Green Arrow is a superhero dressed like Robin Hood who is an archer using trick arrows, including glue, net, tear gas and even kryptonite arrows. His secret identity is billionaire Oliver Queen. This marks the character’s return to the CW where it was a fixture on the Superman-inspired Smallville for several years. Portrayed by Justin Hartley (below right), who is not attached to Arrow, Oliver Queen/Green Arrow was introduced in a 7-episode arc on the show in 2006, with Hartley joining the series as a regular in 2008. Also serving as a bridge between the two shows would be Nutter, who directed the pilot for Smallville.

Developing a series based on a DC property to succeed the recently departed Smallville was a priority for the CW this development season. “We’re looking next year to do a superhero show if the right superhero comes to be,” CW president Mark Pedowitz said at the summer TCA. In addition to Arrow, the network has in contention an adaptation of Deadman penned by Supernatural creator Eric Kripke. This is the CW’s second pilot order this season, following the pickup of mystery drama Cult last week.

Arrow would mark the second pilot order for Berlanti and Guggenheim so far this season. Earlier this week, Fox greenlighted Guilty, a legal drama penned by Guggenheim and executive produced by him and Berlanti. Berlanti, Guggenheim, Nutter and Kreisberg, who serves as co-executive producer on Syfy’s Warehouse 13, are with WME.
Not sure I like the sound of this. A Green Arrow series would be great, but given how GL turned out with two of these guys behind it, and how awful Berlanti's attempt at superhero television (No Ordinary Family) was, this could be worrisome.

Plus, I was really liking the sound of Eric Kripke doing Deadman, and I really doubt they will have room for two comic book series if this works out.

Well gl was a mess from dc/wb execs then the writers and producers. And producing wise they are not that bad. If it happens definately will watch it.

Isn't Justin Hartley still have a deal with CW to on one of their shows?

Well it would be nice if they took him and had it be spun off sv. Or even not and have hartley. But more likely then not any dc shows will not be assoicated with. Sv.

the show needs to be plenty violent, and if they need to scale down the budget, cut back on the trick arrows.. Use the Star City backdrop, have a big forest be there.. the arrow-cave.. start off with Queen established as a hero.. don't use black canary yet.. have various other love interests.. no connor, no roy..

I was interested..Until I read"sets him in a new world with an original story that is not based on the comics",IF it's a Smallville spin-off or using the Smallville formula where it takes the mythology from the comics But makes a new perspective from the live of the character then I understand,But IF something so different&unrecognizable to who&what the character is like the NBC WonderWoman Pilot then it becomes a pointless use of the property!!!

Last edited:
I'm actually starting to think about this in regards to Deadman.... perhaps the network could pair them on the same night, mirroring the old Smallville/Supernatural line-up.

Then again, two new series on the same night could be risky for them.

I wonder what it means that they're not basing it on any comics story. Does it mean that they're just not adapting any specific story or will they do a complete revamp of the character ? If the character is completely unrecognizable, my interest will be pretty much out he window.

I was interested..Until I read"sets him in a new world with an original story that is not based on the comics",IF it's a Smallville spin-off or using the Smallville formula where it takes the mythology from the comics But makes a new perspective from the live of the character then I understand,But IF something so different&unrecognizable to who&what the character is like the NBC WonderWoman Pilot then it becomes a pointless use of the property!!!

I agree, it sounds like their going to make a show and throw in a guy they just happen to call Green Arrow and if that is the route their going I have no interest in it.

The articles from Entertainment Weekly and Kryptonsite say nothing of the "New world/original story" part, so I wonder if the writer of the Deadline article just doesn't know jack **** about Green Arrow and just thinks this is a new approach, or what...

The articles from Entertainment Weekly and Kryptonsite say nothing of the "New world/original story" part, so I wonder if the writer of the Deadline article just doesn't know jack **** about Green Arrow and just thinks this is a new approach, or what...

I sure hope that's the case,I also hope the Pilot/Show is called Green Arrow..Instead of just Arrow!!

Yeah, that's gross. They'd have probably even gone with Archer if that wasn't already taken.

I see nothing wrong with just Arrow as the title, but yeah, Green Arrow would be nice.

I'm kind of on the fence about this. I was never too familiar with the Green Arrow, but when he first appeared on Smallville, I was very behind the idea of the character and really wanted to see a spin-off. But once he became a regular, it was more focus on Ollie and less on Green Arrow, and I lost a lot of respect for that version of the character.

But now if they do a new version with a new actor and cast, it would be weird because Justin Hartley IS the Green Arrow for me, especially since hasn't been portrayed in live action very much. So I would want to see JH again and the same outfit because I really loved the SV version.

Doing a spinoff of Smallville would be a bad idea. The continuity of SV would really just be a weight around the show's neck. Best to start fresh, as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I hated where his character ended in that show. Like if they based it off of his season 6 appearances, that would be great. But definitely not anything from after that because he was really stripped of everything that made him a cool character. Heck, even his origin story on the show wasn't all that great.

Smallville ruined Green Arrow/Oliver Queen from Season 8 onwards.

I don't think anyone can tell me with a straight face that his storylines from S8 to the end did justice to the GA character. It was painful to watch.

Green Lantern was a really poorly handled product (the producers) and CW/The WB is known for creating crap (the network).

I wouldn't get my hopes up that his pilot (or series) will handle Green Arrow in a respectable way.

I wouldnt mind Justin getting the role and just playing a new Oliver. And Dinah/Black Canary has to be a must if this gets to series.

And I know CW/WB/UPN constantly get flack but really think about...they have turned out about just as much good tv that the major networks have.

But now if they do a new version with a new actor and cast, it would be weird because Justin Hartley IS the Green Arrow for me, especially since hasn't been portrayed in live action very much. So I would want to see JH again and the same outfit because I really loved the SV version.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel.

Justin Hartley's Oliver Queen/Green Arrow is really undderated IMO.

The trouble was, no one was EVER happy with his role on the show.

When he first appeared, he was doing a lot of heroics and Clark was moping about Lana.

So people complained that he was making Clark look weak and that it was becoming the Green Arrow show.

In response to that, they had Oliver go through a long stage of self doubt, while Clark was becoming a more confident hero. Oliver's heroics took a back seat, and 'The Blur' was solidified as the 'best' hero.

And people complained that Oliver's character was now annoying and why couldn't he get back to being Green Arrow again :rolleyes:

I never understood it.

IMO Justin Hartley's Green Arrow/Oliver Queen was one of the best things to come out of the show.

So it'd seem like a shame to have the same network he was on, produce a Green Arrow series without him as the lead.

You don't have to make references to the continuity. You don't have to mention ANYTHING about Smallville. Just let the fans put the pieces together themselves.

Sounds cool... altho I still want to see that movie where he is in a prison full of DC villains :o

I'm having doubts about this show being that it's CW...they are a really hit or miss network

I'd say most of the broadcast networks are at this point. They all seem to have trouble with putting drama series together at the moment.

As long as this has absolutely nothing to do with th crap we got in Smallville I am down with this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"