One Universe: DC/Marvel RPG Application

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this time the rpg should follow the ultimate route and have people changing the character but keeping the basis

Last game, it was hard to want to pick up characters because people kinda "Ultimatized" people rather than just playing them in a shared universe. Heck, I had to fix up characters to make them passable/playable that others messed up with how confusing and convulted they seemed to be.

If you want to ultimatize an origin, we have games for that.

I like the idea of this one being a blending of classic origins within the shared universe.

I think this time the rpg should follow the ultimate route and have people changing the character but keeping the basis

I do not like the sound of that.

Ultimization shouldn't be necessary, if anything the combining of the two universes should result in something of a re-calibration; meaning no changes to the characters are needed, just changes to the circumstances at which contributed to them becoming the characters they are.

Early career (did you guys mention 3 years in??) and regular/classic origins seems a good way to go. Then there is no Earth shattering question about continuity of either Earths.

I do not like the sound of that.

Ultimization shouldn't be necessary, if anything the combining of the two universes should result in something of a re-calibration; meaning no changes to the characters are needed, just changes to the circumstances at which contributed to them becoming the characters they are.
That's what i meant with keeping the basis :doh:

That's what i meant with keeping the basis :doh:

What you said in your previous post made it sound like I could make Bruce Wayne Batman and have his parents killed by Green Goblin. Which isn't the case.

What? No! It means you can change and modernise things like in the Ultimate Marvel Comics for examples but you should keep the core and what the character simbolises intact, and i think you should keep the RPG set 1 year at most in the career of the characters

No. This isn't any degree of Ultimatizing. And my example is still relevant just more extreme than what you are saying.

RPG set 1 year at most in the career of the characters

Three years is the way to go. I want the characters to have a sense of familiarity with each other. It can get tedious as hell to have half a season of an RPG where all the PCs have to keep meeting new characters and reacting to meeting them for the first time over and over.

The period of time, I imagine, is only to provide players with a bit of context. The world your character will be entering into is one that has been aware of super-humans for three years: that doesn't necessarily mean that the character you have applied for has to have been.

No, I mean three years since the heroes started their careers.

I mean, we all know the origins. Do we really need to see someone spend ten posts and two weeks showing Peter Parker become Spider-Man, or having Hal Jordan trained by the GLC?

Just skip the origin and get cracking on your own stories.

How does it hurt to have the option open to people, though? If it's something that you personally aren't interested in doing, don't do it. Other people might be.

This isn't even relevant to the character I want to apply for, but I still think people should have the artistic freedom to do so.

Because I said so. That's why.

-Double Post-

Last edited:
I dunno. I'd really like to do an origin.

I can see where it can be tedious to some, but to me, the origin and seeing how these characters mixed up in each other becoming what they did is half the fun in a game like this.

I gotta be honest in that I have zero interest if people are stuck doing origins with the chance of them flaking out. I've RPed here for years and I've seen the trends. The old OU had the worst with that.

Last edited:
I gotta be honest in that I have zero interest if people are stuck doing origins with the chance of them flaming out. I've RPed here for years and I've seen the trends. The old OU had the worst with that.

Then people don't have to do an origin. Which is why I set the open as one year in. If people don't want to do an origin and already have their character and some others familiar with each other, by all means do it.

But one year is also early enough that if people want to do an origin, they can do an origin.

Also people starting with the origins makes it harder for new players to come in when the character is later free again. It's easier to say "same origins but the character did 'this this and that' this season". New people won't think/feel like they are playing someone else's Batman, Spider-Man, etc. In UDC and All-Star Marvel it is different because it is expected that things will be different.

On the other side of the coin, starting with established characters rules out the chance of their origin story (which, whilst sharing the basic premise will have some differences since it's set in another universe) ever being told.

Just do the origin the way we are in WF. Use flashbacks.

If people want to do origins, then they should have to update the wiki.

Oh yeah, I just played the wiki card.

If people want to do origins, then they should have to update the wiki.

Oh yeah, I just played the wiki card.

**** your wiki. You and the OCD bastard trusty are the only two who give a flying **** about it! :cmad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"