Days of Future Past "Only have one more new character" in sequel says Vaughn

Electrix

Avenger
Reaction score
Here is what Matthew Vaughn had to say about the addition of only one major new character in the proposed Untitled X-Men: First Class Sequel.

"We will only have one more new character. I won't say who he...I won't say who he or she is! But we will only be bringing one more new character in. Because, I think, as Professor X is in a wheelchair, Magneto needs to have a nemesis he can fight with. Someone that will be his equal. I know who it is. It would be nice if I could say something, but I can't, mate!"

Matthew Vaughn also doesn't rule out the possibility of Sir Ian McKellen and Sir Patrick Stewart showing up in the sequel via a flash-forward.

"I have worked with Sir Ian McKellen before, and he is a lovely guy. I would love to work with him again. So, never say never!"

http://www.movieweb.com/news/exclusive-x-men-first-class-sequel-to-introduce-just-one-new-character

Wolverine? I hope not, but I can imagine Singer and Vaughn wanting it. I can't really see Wolverine being a 'nemesis' considering Magneto can control every inch of his body.

Hopefully it's someone we haven't seen on-screen before. Only having one new character will at least give them opportunity to develop the characters we already have.

I guess it depends on what he qualfies as MAJOR, because for all we know he could add several mutants that would be like what Azazel and Riptide are in First Class.

I was really hoping that the X-muties in this movie were just a necessary stepping stone to get to the major players. Make no mistake, XFC looks absolutely amazing, but they need to bring in the heavy hitters in the next movie!!

But if I were to guess... Jean?

Do we know if Magneto and Professor X are still on the same side at the end of this one?

I honestly can't see them doing a sequel and not at least having Cykes or Jean in it.

I have a feeling that we probably won't be seeing Storm in a sequel which sucks! :(

I think he means like a new new character to the movieverse. Not someone new to the First Class movies.

or not

Do we know if Magneto and Professor X are still on the same side at the end of this one?

I believe that they [BLACKOUT]reach the status quo of the original trilogy, more or less. So no, I don't think they're on the same side.[/BLACKOUT]

Maybe someone else knows more?

how is Xavier not a match for Magneto just because he's in a wheelchair?
I'm tired of Vaughn's interviews, all his opinions come off as *****e-y

Well, I mean it's true. Xavier isn't a physical match for Magneto unless they get Mag's helmet off.

Well between Magneto's helmet and not being able to walk he kind of isn't a match for Magneto.

Yeah i hate that they did that with the helmet

Xavier should be every bit a match for Mags

Well, he's obviously no physical threat; and he can't get in Erik's mind because of that pesky helmet. He could control others and use them to fight Erik, but do you think that's really in his nature? I don't, but maybe others disagree.

I think that in movie terms, it just makes more sense to have another Sebastian Shaw type third-party. The philosophical opposition between Magneto and Xavier will likely still be a centerpiece of the sequel.

The philosophical opposition is more interesting anyway.

but then the other question is, if Mags is bad by the end, do they want a hero to fight him in the sequel, or another villain??

He probably just means bringing in another villain like the Hellfire Club in this movie.

but then you have a villain fighting a villain...and the x-men being in a weird non-hero limbo again, like in X3

By the way, has anyone taken a deeper look into the way Vaughn and Singer picked the X-Men for this movie? They were actually quite thoughtful and not as random as it seemed.

It looks like they went down the list of early X-Men and went with who they could.

Because of continuity, they couldn't use Cyclops, Jean, Iceman or Angel (Warren), but they could use Beast.

In the comics, the next X-Men were Havok and Polaris. They couldn't use Polaris because her powers are too similar to Magneto's. So they took Havok.

Then they go to the "Deadly Genesis" X-Men and took Darwin. Vulcan being another Summers brother was too complicated. The others were dead and not relevant in the comics anymore.

Next up, the 2nd generation of X-Men. For continuity, they had to eliminate Storm, Wolverine, Colossus and Nightcrawler. They were left with Banshee, Sunfire and Thunderbird. They went with Banshee.

Then they went with Angel Salvatore because she wasn't going to be an X-Man anyways in neither the comics nor the movie. She's obscure so her story can be written any way really. If they had done that with like, Dazzler for example, everyone would be up in arms over how Dazzler was never in the Hellfire Club!!!

So I have faith that they kind of do know what they're doing. :)

I think the new character would be a rival to Magneto.A villian like Sinter,or Apocalypse or other.

Cyclops,and Jean grey will have to wait till third film.

Vaughn has already said he would like the sequel to open with Kennedy assassination but having Magneto use his power so the magic bullet could do all to Kennedy with Magneto upset because Kennedy took all credit for the Cuban Missile crisis being solved and didn't mention Mutants.

The cast for sequel will mostly be returnees from First Class.If they were to use a flashforward that probally would be the end of the film.They might use that to help
set up X4.

Vaughn might only do one sequel.Of course First Class has to open and make money before we talk more defente about It.But,I don't think we have to worry about there not being a sequel.

I like where Vaughn's head is at. Instead of cramming in more characters just to please the fans, he's going about it in a smarter way.

927954-xmen_theend4_super.jpg

By the way, has anyone taken a deeper look into the way Vaughn and Singer picked the X-Men for this movie? They were actually quite thoughtful and not as random as it seemed.

It looks like they went down the list of early X-Men and went with who they could.

Because of continuity, they couldn't use Cyclops, Jean, Iceman or Angel (Warren), but they could use Beast.

In the comics, the next X-Men were Havok and Polaris. They couldn't use Polaris because her powers are too similar to Magneto's. So they took Havok.

Then they go to the "Deadly Genesis" X-Men and took Darwin. Vulcan being another Summers brother was too complicated. The others were dead and not relevant in the comics anymore.

Next up, the 2nd generation of X-Men. For continuity, they had to eliminate Storm, Wolverine, Colossus and Nightcrawler. They were left with Banshee, Sunfire and Thunderbird. They went with Banshee.

Then they went with Angel Salvatore because she wasn't going to be an X-Man anyways in neither the comics nor the movie. She's obscure so her story can be written any way really. If they had done that with like, Dazzler for example, everyone would be up in arms over how Dazzler was never in the Hellfire Club!!!

So I have faith that they kind of do know what they're doing. :)

I've noticed this as well. It's good to see someone explain it, though.

It's a villain. So I say Sinister.

I wouldn't mind adding a new villain or keeping Magneto as the main villain. If it's Sinister, then they have to introduce Cyclops and Jean as well.

but then you have a villain fighting a villain...and the x-men being in a weird non-hero limbo again, like in X3

Hmm. Unless the new villain poses a threat to both Magneto and the X-Men. The story could explore how both Xavier and Lensherr carry out their opposing philosophies in taking the new threat down. Similar to Stryker in X2?

I'm still not sure we're talking about a full fledged villain though. However, that's probably most likely.

It annoys me a little bit that Vaughn only seems interested to talk about Magneto, and his nemesis and his quests and his causes and his issues.
It's not a Magneto Origins franchise, damn it. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"