Dark Phoenix Vaughn confirms that "First Class" (+ sequels) was intended as a soft reboot/new universe

Mutant 77

Supreme Keeper of the X-Men Movie Continuity
Reaction score
"My plan was First Class, then second film was new young Wolverine in the 70’s to continue those characters, my version of the X-Men. So you’d really get to know all of them, and my finale was gonna be Days of Future Past. That was gonna be my number three where you bring them all… because what’s bigger than bringing in McKellen and Michael and Stewart and James and bringing them all together? When I finished the Days of Future Past script with it ready to go I looked at it and said, “I really think it would be fun to cast Tom Hardy or someone as the young Wolverine and then bring it all together at the end."

The Link:
https://io9.gizmodo.com/fox-wanting-days-of-future-past-right-after-first-class-1835148286

I think Matthew Vaughn aimed at casting a "younger Wolverine" before they would put Hugh Jackman into cameo mode in FC.

It's obvious that FIRST CLASS is a soft reboot and a second timeline/alternate universe, so people should not bother with the clear incongruences between the 4 FC/DAYS movies and the original 4 X-Men movies. As simple as that.

"That’s one of the reasons I didn’t continue, because they didn’t listen to me. My plan was “First Class,” then second film was new young Wolverine in the 70’s to continue those characters, my version of the X-Men. So you’d really get to know all of them, and my finale was gonna be “Days of Future Past.” That was gonna be my number three where you bring them all… because what’s bigger than bringing in McKellen and Michael and Stewart and James and bringing them all together? When I finished the “Days of Future Past” script with it ready to go I looked at it and said, “I really think it would be fun to cast Tom Hardy or someone as the young Wolverine and then bring it all together at the end.” Fox read “Days of Future Past” and went “Oh, this is too good! We’re doing it now!” And I said, “Well what do you do next? Trust me you’ve got nowhere to go.” Then they did “Apocalypse” and it’s like… If you flip that ’round even it would have been better. Hollywood doesn’t understand pacing. Their executives are driving 100 miles-per-hour looking in the rear-view mirror and not understanding why they crash."

The very fact that Vaughn, for his third film, would have still brought back "McKellen and Michael and Stewart and James" meant First Class would still not be a reboot.

Not at all. They casted Hugh as cameo anyway, despite FC being an obvious soft reboot.

Having Wolvie joining the X-Men in the '70s is just reboot. So they intended the First Class universe as a departure from the original trilogy.

So, that’s why they recreated - shot for shot - Magneto’s Holocaust origin sequence as well as Mystique’s scaly design, shape-shifting effect and penchant for nudity?

So, that’s why they recreated - shot for shot - Magneto’s Holocaust origin sequence as well as Mystique’s scaly design, shape-shifting effect and penchant for nudity?

It was extremely cool to revist a classic scene and ADD a new spin to it (Shaw).

You must’ve missed all the trailers with McKellen and Stewart and those horrid “silhouette” posters with James on Patrick’s crotch.

You all seem to have an overly narrow view of what constitutes a "reboot". It does not require that there be no similarity with the past version, merely that there is an intentional breach with the past, such that you can no longer assume that something present in Version 1 is still present in Version 2. "Keep the good stuff, ditch the rest" is entirely a reboot.

Not at all. They casted Hugh as cameo anyway, despite FC being an obvious soft reboot.

Having Wolvie joining the X-Men in the '70s is just reboot. So they intended the First Class universe as a departure from the original trilogy.

But recasting Wolverine with a younger actor at that point would be a stupid idea simply because they already put Hugh Jackman in First Class. Plus, his cameo practically ties in with Wolverine Origins since it is set before the Vietnam war scene and it has established that Wolverine has always looked like Hugh Jackman since the Civil War.

I'm actually glad that they kept Hugh Jackman around for as long as they did.

But recasting Wolverine with a younger actor at that point would be a stupid idea simply because they already put Hugh Jackman in First Class. Plus, his cameo practically ties in with Wolverine Origins since it is set before the Vietnam war scene and it has established that Wolverine has always looked like Hugh Jackman since the Civil War.

I'm actually glad that they kept Hugh Jackman around for as long as they did.

I think Vaughn was referring to his ORIGINAL plan, before filming "First Class" and before producers would chose to use Jackman as cameo.

I think Vaughn was referring to his ORIGINAL plan, before filming "First Class" and before producers would chose to use Jackman as cameo.
No. He specifically said "When I finished the Days of Future Past script with it ready to go I looked at it and said, “I really think it would be fun to cast Tom Hardy."

You really think Vaughn had a script ready for DOFP even before he shot First Class? Do you know how Hollywood works?

No. He specifically said "When I finished the Days of Future Past script with it ready to go I looked at it and said, “I really think it would be fun to cast Tom Hardy."

You really think Vaughn had a script ready for DOFP even before he shot First Class? Do you know how Hollywood works?

I think he was talking about putting down ideas for the next movies, brainstorming. That's common practice in Hollywood. He wrote FC and put on paper some ideas, concepts and arcs for the following movies.

Said that, he wanted Wolvie in the seventies joining the X-Men. It was a reboot. Plain and simple. First Class and the following movies are a new universe.

You can think First Class was meant to be a reboot all you want (for your "Cinematic Timeline" on your sig) but that doesn't hold with all the things we know about the production from quotes, promotional material, etc. The simple explanation is Vaughn and Singer and Kinberg wanted to have their cake and eat it too and they simply can't follow their own continuity.

You can think First Class was meant to be a reboot all you want (for your "Cinematic Timeline" on your sig) but that doesn't hold with all the things we know about the production from quotes, promotional material, etc. The simple explanation is Vaughn and Singer and Kinberg wanted to have their cake and eat it too and they simply can't follow their own continuity.

Well, you can't deny that "First Class" sounds like a restart and has dozens of "retcons". So they were "soft rebooting" the franchise and it worked fine.
I would have recasted Wolverine, quite frankly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"