Original Obi-Wan Kenobi Starring Ewan McGregor on Disney+ Thread

.....they'd have no epic fight scene? :o

They could do it like a western or gangster movie , Obi Wan helps a farming family out who get in trouble with one of the huts, or the sand people.

There are plenty of places they can go.

That idea that one member had was so dope. I wish they could just make that.

Here's an Obi-Wan idea:

Have another film take place between the Prequels and OT. Bring back Macgregor as Obi-Wan. Have Temeura Morrison play an aged, bitter ex- Commander Cody. And have either Ray Park or Sam Witwer play Maul.

Have the whole story play as a kind of jidaigeki and western fusion, with a major theme being how all these characters were playing major, world shattering roles in the affairs of the Galaxy, and now they've all outlived their original purpose. Obi-Wan can't defend the Republic because it doesn't exist, and old Cody is of no use to the Empire without the Clone Wars, and Maul can never be a public force in the Galaxy again because Vader and Palpatine will put him down. So all three have a kind of tired and weary way about them, like those old gunfighters in westerns or the samurai who wound up impoverished after the Sengoku period.

But they've all got something to live for still. Kenobi is watching over Luke and harboring dreams of seeing the son rectify his father's mistakes, Maul is still dreaming of final revenge on the man who maimed him, and Cody is hunting Maul for the deaths of some of his brothers during the Clone Wars. But all three have a flaw in their dreams; Kenobi isn't wanted around by Luke's guardians, Maul tried to have revenge on Kenobi but the Jedi shook it off so he's not even sure he can get true revenge, and Cody is fast approaching an early grave and must live with the turmoil of whether or not carrying out Order 66 helped or hurt the Galaxy.

Picture the kind of character drama where lightsabers aren't used until the last battle to keep their cover down, Maul leads a small band of Mandalorian speeder bikers, like the gangs in the westerns, to try and finally run Obi-Wan down, while Cody, now discarded and desperate and despairing, obsessively follows him, and Obi-Wan trying to save lives and be a hero while still staying quiet enough the Empire doesn't notice. Picture Kenobi and Cody teaming up, but with Cody struggling with the lies he's used to justify Order 66 and the Empire to himself while talking to a man the Empire still wants dead. And picture two tired, weary and run down warriors aiming for a final showdown that calls back to their glory days.

Their on a planet with two Suns, small and scattered towns, criminals and Imperials, and even a hostile native species in the Tusken Raiders. It's the Wild West in Star Wars.

How's that strike you?

Found it:
Here's an Obi-Wan idea:

Have another film take place between the Prequels and OT. Bring back Macgregor as Obi-Wan. Have Temeura Morrison play an aged, bitter ex- Commander Cody. And have either Ray Park or Sam Witwer play Maul.

Have the whole story play as a kind of jidaigeki and western fusion, with a major theme being how all these characters were playing major, world shattering roles in the affairs of the Galaxy, and now they've all outlived their original purpose. Obi-Wan can't defend the Republic because it doesn't exist, and old Cody is of no use to the Empire without the Clone Wars, and Maul can never be a public force in the Galaxy again because Vader and Palpatine will put him down. So all three have a kind of tired and weary way about them, like those old gunfighters in westerns or the samurai who wound up impoverished after the Sengoku period.

But they've all got something to live for still. Kenobi is watching over Luke and harboring dreams of seeing the son rectify his father's mistakes, Maul is still dreaming of final revenge on the man who maimed him, and Cody is hunting Maul for the deaths of some of his brothers during the Clone Wars. But all three have a flaw in their dreams; Kenobi isn't wanted around by Luke's guardians, Maul tried to have revenge on Kenobi but the Jedi shook it off so he's not even sure he can get true revenge, and Cody is fast approaching an early grave and must live with the turmoil of whether or not carrying out Order 66 helped or hurt the Galaxy.

Picture the kind of character drama where lightsabers aren't used until the last battle to keep their cover down, Maul leads a small band of Mandalorian speeder bikers, like the gangs in the westerns, to try and finally run Obi-Wan down, while Cody, now discarded and desperate and despairing, obsessively follows him, and Obi-Wan trying to save lives and be a hero while still staying quiet enough the Empire doesn't notice. Picture Kenobi and Cody teaming up, but with Cody struggling with the lies he's used to justify Order 66 and the Empire to himself while talking to a man the Empire still wants dead. And picture two tired, weary and run down warriors aiming for a final showdown that calls back to their glory days.

Their on a planet with two Suns, small and scattered towns, criminals and Imperials, and even a hostile native species in the Tusken Raiders. It's the Wild West in Star Wars.

How's that strike you?

Found it:

Ah right, sounds good in principle. But as someone who has never watched the cartoons and stuff, a lot of it is confusing to me. I imagine a lot of the GA would be the same.

How did Maul come back in the cartoons?

Hell if I know. Never watched the cartoons where Maul returned either. But that could easily be fixed.

Hell if I know. Never watched the cartoons where Maul returned either. But that could easily be fixed.

I know it's a universe full of possibilities, but a character coming back after not only being cut in half, but also falling down a shaft miles down always seemed a bit silly to me.

I know it's a universe full of possibilities, but a character coming back after not only being cut in half, but also falling down a shaft miles down always seemed a bit silly to me.

So does Anakin surviving getting most of his limbs cut off, burned alive, and laying their without immediate assistance.

Some people, not saying you, want Boba to survive the sarlacc.

People have come back from worse in SW

So does Anakin surviving getting most of his limbs cut off, burned alive, and laying their without immediate assistance.

Some people, not saying you, want Boba to survive the sarlacc.

People have come back from worse in SW

Being cut literally in half and falling down a pipe the height of a skyscraper is worth than anything Anakin survived IMO.

Looks can be deceiving

Anyway according to canon (I think this is how he survived)
However, through his hate and will to survive, Maul used the Force to grab an air vent as he was tumbling down the reactor shaft. He then managed to make it to a trash container.

But also according to canon he already met up with Obi Wan during The Clone Wars...

Looks can be deceiving

Anyway according to canon (I think this is how he survived)

But also according to canon he already met up with Obi Wan during The Clone Wars...

Well, it would seem OTT to me even as a fan of the movies. But we will see how this spin off develops

Put me down for a Yojimbo like story that puts Kenobi in the middle against Jabba and some other underworld power.

Found it:
Rebels pretty much makes most of that impossible. A large part of Rebels was dedicated to Maul figuring out where Obi-Wan was hiding and he used Holocrons to find out it was Tatooine.

Yeah, there are times they kinda wrote themselves into a corner making Rebels canon.

I don't necessarily want Darth Maul in the spinoff, but I don't like how the cartoons and other EU share the same canon as the movies, it limits what can be done in them. Just let the EU exist in it's own non-canon timeline, sort of like the Lego games do. I'm sure Rebels is a fine show, but I don't think anything not in the films should have to be taken into consideration when making a major motion picture, it's kind of unfair to the filmmakers.

Kinda late for that after the way the Rebels cast were integrated into Rogue One.

Rebels pretty much makes most of that impossible. A large part of Rebels was dedicated to Maul figuring out where Obi-Wan was hiding and he used Holocrons to find out it was Tatooine.

It's an exaggeration to say it was a large part of the show. Maul's time on Tatooine and his interaction with Kenobi was very brief, and [BLACKOUT]it concluded with his death[/BLACKOUT]. It also took place very near Episode IV, with Obi-Wan at his Alec Guiness age, and I don't think this film will get near that timeline-wise. The bottom line is Maul will not be in this movie. He won't be the villain, but I'd argue this film doesn't necessarily need a villain in a traditional sense. If it is a small, introspective character piece the "villain" of the story could be more nebulous and spiritual in nature. Meaning Obi-Wan's own guilt and isolation and feelings regarding Luke and realizing Vader is Anakin.

It's an exaggeration to say it was a large part of the show. Maul's time on Tatooine and his interaction with Kenobi was very brief, and [BLACKOUT]it concluded with his death[/BLACKOUT]. It also took place very near Episode IV, with Obi-Wan at his Alec Guiness age, and I don't think this film will get near that timeline-wise. The bottom line is Maul will not be in this movie. He won't be the villain, but I'd argue this film doesn't necessarily need a villain in a traditional sense. If it is a small, introspective character piece the "villain" of the story could be more nebulous and spiritual in nature. Meaning Obi-Wan's own guilt and isolation and feelings regarding Luke and realizing Vader is Anakin.
They aren't going to make an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie an experimental think piece. There will be a villain.

I personally feel that bringing Darth Maul into it would be a bad move. I was never a fan of the whole reincarnation story, it's too far-fetched and pure fan service. Feels like a cheap retcon. I'd vote for the Logan approach. Ewan McGregor is at the perfect age too. Something like Fistful of Dollars where Obi-Wan manipulates bands of scum into fighting each other and leaving his spot in the desert alone. But there's this threat coming to get him. The Lawman arrives on Tatooine in the third act. Since it's a prequel we know that Kenobi lives so the question would be how does he choose to do that, does he risk breaking his pacifism streak and using his lightsaber or can he figure out another way? But the climax would have to be more personal.

If it is a small, introspective character piece the "villain" of the story could be more nebulous and spiritual in nature. Meaning Obi-Wan's own guilt and isolation and feelings regarding Luke and realizing Vader is Anakin.

I think you're gonna be disappointed if you expect Lucasfilm to make a small, introspective character piece.

I personally feel that bringing Darth Maul into it would be a bad move. I was never a fan of the whole reincarnation story, it's too far-fetched and pure fan service. Feels like a cheap retcon. I'd vote for the Logan approach. Ewan McGregor is at the perfect age too. Something like Fistful of Dollars where Obi-Wan manipulates bands of scum into fighting each other and leaving his spot in the desert alone. But there's this threat coming to get him. The Lawman arrives on Tatooine in the third act. Since it's a prequel we know that Kenobi lives so the question would be how does he choose to do that, does he risk breaking his pacifism streak and using his lightsaber or can he figure out another way? But the climax would have to be more personal.
That all just seems out of character for Kenobi honestly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"