Overrated Films: Your Opinion

I loved Avatar, but I can see how it's overrated in someone's opinion. To me, Avatar is a great movie to sit back, relax, and just be swept away to another time and place for a few hours, it's one of the best pieces of escapist entertainment I've seen in a while. Though, it's a to each his own situation here, personally I think Avatar deserves its accolades but that's cause it's so similar in tone to my favorite films of all-time like the original Star Wars films or the great masterworks of Spielberg like Jurassic Park or Close Encounters.

See, I think Jurassic Park wasn't that great, and they turned the far superior book into a run of the mill summer flick. The atrocity done to the second book was even worse. I guess if you never read the books, the films would seem great, but I think they really ruined what could've been far better films.

I'll be the first in this thread to say "Inception". I loved the movie, I thought it was brilliant, I'll definitely buy the Blu-ray....but do I think it's Nolan's best? No. Maybe if you take away Ledger's performance as The Joker, "Inception" might be about equal to "The Dark Knight". Do I think it's the best movie of 2010? Maybe the best live action film so far, I thought "Toy Story 3" was outstanding. But "Inception" as the #3 film on IMDB's Top 250 list? No. Way. Better than "Pulp Fiction", "Goodfellas", the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy? Come on. Seriously, "Inception" is good, but it's not that good. But I'm sure it's just the rabid Nolan fanboys who are blowing it out of proportion.

I'll be the first in this thread to say "Inception". I loved the movie, I thought it was brilliant, I'll definitely buy the Blu-ray....but do I think it's Nolan's best? No. Maybe if you take away Ledger's performance as The Joker, "Inception" might be about equal to "The Dark Knight". Do I think it's the best movie of 2010? Maybe the best live action film so far, I thought "Toy Story 3" was outstanding. But "Inception" as the #3 film on IMDB's Top 250 list? No. Way. Better than "Pulp Fiction", "Goodfellas", the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy? Come on. Seriously, "Inception" is good, but it's not that good. But I'm sure it's just the rabid Nolan fanboys who are blowing it out of proportion.
The IMDB top 250 is so heavily dominated by fanboy and hipster favorites that it has very little credibility. The fact that legitimate classics like The French Connection and MASH aren't on the list but big fanboy hits like Kick-Ass and Pirates of the Caribbean are is either sad or laughable, depending on how you look at it.

Lion king. HATED IT!!!

Hah. Yes, same here. But then again I hate most of Disney stuff.

But back in the day - what the heck, even today - when somebody would say Hakunah Matata trying to be funny it provoked me to give him a nice kick in the balls.

I have to say Blade Runner....I just thought it was dreadfully boring
Same with Alien

The Big Lebowski I liked but I'm just really surprised that people hold it in such high esteem

I have to say Blade Runner....I just thought it was dreadfully boring
Same with Alien

The Big Lebowski I liked but I'm just really surprised that people hold it in such high esteem

[YT]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pWdd6_ZxX8c&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pWdd6_ZxX8c&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

The Dark Knight

Fight Club

The Sixth Sense

I'll edit in more once I remember more.

I always thought Citizen Kane was highly overrated. I don't hate the movie but I just don't see the hype everyone who is into films sees.

I havent seen Inception yet... but teens these days need to be more decerning. Pirates of the Carribean? Pfft.

Too soon! Just kidding. I agree with you.

The IMDB top 250 is so heavily dominated by fanboy and hipster favorites that it has very little credibility. The fact that legitimate classics like The French Connection and MASH aren't on the list but big fanboy hits like Kick-Ass and Pirates of the Caribbean are is either sad or laughable, depending on how you look at it.
:up:

wrath of khan,new star trek movie,harry potter,avatar,inception,scarface,the godfather,bladerunner,

Last edited:
Harry Potter, Superman I and II ( just my opinion), The Big Lebowski, Clerks, The Matrix.

I always thought Citizen Kane was highly overrated. I don't hate the movie but I just don't see the hype everyone who is into films sees.

I guess you have to be from that time period to understand how much of a milestone it was. I don't understand the hype behind it either.

Oldboy is overrated also. I just don't see the insane fan love for this repulsive movie. It had great twists, but it was boring, sadistic, and disgusting.

I have to say Blade Runner

Agreed. I think I kind of dozed into a daydream while watching it... which is incredibly rare, and a true sign that a movie is boring me.

I keep trying to get to the end of that movie. It's like my everest. And I feel like if I start from where I left of i'm cheating... like hiking half way up, getting a helicopter back to a nice comfy hotel and some refreshments and then flying back to the same spot.

No if i'm going to say I achieved it, I need to do the whole hog :p

Bladerunner and the godfather always make me sleepy.

Agreed on Citizen Kane
Fight Club, American Beauty also stand out.

There are a lot of tasteless, dumb people posting in this thread.

I get tired of seeing someone list or say any popular movie is overrated. Ok, we get it, you're too cool.

I get tired of seeing someone list or say any popular movie is overrated

Then it's probably not a good idea to enter a "Overrated Films: Your Opinion" thread.

BrightIdea.jpg

It's to be expected on a website like that. I'm surprised some of the other classics havent been etched out .

inception- i really didn't follow what was going on and i feel it got such a huge hype because the dark knight was so killer and everyone was just head over heels for Christopher Nolan (very similar to Peter Jacksons king kong)

i agree with everything being said about scarface, a somewhat entertaining movie, but one of the greatest of all time????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"