Oz: The Great and Powerful - Part 1

The problem with Franco, is he's too much of a straight man. Compare his Oz, to Frank Morgan, they are completely different characters. I don't they needed to copy Morgan's take, but they definitely needed someone more animated.

I thought Williams did the best job of taking on the classic character, but still bringing something new of herself. At the same time, you know it's the same character.

No I said I don't like it because 1) somebody could find him, 2) he could call out to somebody - if it's just so he calls out to Dorothy for help it would seem too mechanical and plotted out, 3) it seems like a number of given things could happen and if they do - Oz would need to go back out there with a new one. And to me it doesn't seem like a sensible risk. From how I see the character it doesn't make sense, from the way you see the character and you see things playing out in "your story" it might - it just doesn't align with how I see things playing out and thus I can't really see it happening. Because to me a year to Oscar presents a number of questions and too many possibilities that he'd risk getting it out there much sooner than a year. My common sense tells me -- too many possibilities, too many risks, if something happens he'll need to go out there again. My common sense tells me - it's better to make one risk rather than a possible two. I've also learned to follow my gut because it's gotten me where I am. But, with that said anyone else's gut might be just as good, it's just different.

Last edited:
No I said I don't like it because 1) somebody could find him, 2) he could call out to somebody - if it's just so he calls out to Dorothy for help it would seem too mechanical and plotted out, 3) it seems like a number of given things could happen and if they do - Oz would need to go back out there with a new one. And to me it doesn't seem like a sensible risk. From how I see the character it doesn't make sense, from the way you see the character and you see things playing out in "your story" it might - it just doesn't align with how I see things playing out and thus I can't really see it happening. Because to me a year to Oscar presents a number of questions and too many possibilities that he'd risk getting it out there much sooner than a year. My common sense tells me -- too many possibilities, too many risks, if something happens he'll need to go out there again. My common sense tells me - it's better to make one risk rather than a possible two. I've also learned to follow my gut because it's gotten me where I am. But, with that said anyone else's gut might be just as good, it's just different.

Here is a point for all of what you were inquiring about in the quoted post above. I've already explained these, but here goes again:

1.Oz does not know when Dorothy is arriving specifically, so he gets the Scarecrow out ahead of time just to be safe.

2. Oz cannot afford to risk taking the scarecrow out there a few days upon Dorothy's arrival. Reason being, Dorothy is supposed to get there at the apex of Theodora's reign over Oz. When things are are their worse. Oz will be hidden away in his fortress by that time.

3.Since the sisters cannot direct interfere with each other's spells and Glinda is the one to give Scarecrow life with her magic, Theodora wouldn't be able to destroy or harm it.

4. The very reason that Oz makes the guide a scarecrow is because no one would ever suspect a scarecrow of being important. And if it's in the middle of nowhere like a cornfield would be, no one would be tempted to destroy it.

5. It's even possible that no one would ever cross that cornfield for the year or two that Scarecrow is there, since it's not like people in Oz are constantly going down the yellow brick road with cars and such.

6. Another reason why people wouldn't be traveling that yellow brick road? The roads are too dangerous and the people of Oz are afraid to travel them, due to Theodora's forces being out in full-force.

I just have too many ways to explain what you think does not make sense. I understand our difference in views, but to say my reasoning makes no sense is what I don't understand. It really does make sense.

Last edited:
And # 5 is the biggie for me. "It's even possible that..." As said, that's what makes it one route I would never go. It could be interesting, it's just something I'd never do because it doesn't make sense to me. It might make sense to you and you might make it make sense with more time given to it that I can't see here and I might even like it as your vision when I can clearly see it. To me since I just can't see it fully, I wouldn't personally do it. That's not to say it's good or bad, just that I wouldn't do it because it doesn't align with what I see. To me a couple of months tops, rather a couple of days at most, around but not at the exact moment. As said, I wouldn't risk having to put two up. I'd sneak out even when it's the most dangerous to put it out there. I'd possibly even have a couple of munchkins carry it out there to be set out with directions from Oz so that he never even has to leave and makes it even more confusing to the Scarecrow. And Oz wouldn't even be tied to it because no one knows where he is. This would actually further tie it into the original story in that it is just two ordinary folk who make it and put it up. It's more I can't see it rather than it doesn't make sense, if that makes what I'm saying clearer? And it does have to do with the numerous elements outside of the Scarecrow that is most likely doing that and leaving it hazy to me. Just I'm at the point where I've trained myself to only follow my gut because it's always worked, to understand some things and go with them, but if I can't see something clearly to hold back and investigate further without a concrete yes or no.

Last edited:
And # 5 is the biggie for me. "It's even possible that..." As said, that's what makes it one route I would never go. It could be interesting, it's just something I'd never do because it doesn't make sense to me. It might make sense to you and you might make it make sense with more time given to it that I can't see here and I might even like it as your vision when I can clearly see it. To me since I just can't see it fully, I wouldn't personally do it. That's not to say it's good or bad, just that I wouldn't do it because it doesn't align with what I see. To me a couple of months tops, rather a couple of days at most, around but not at the exact moment. As said, I wouldn't risk having to put two up. I'd sneak out even when it's the most dangerous to put it out there. I'd possibly even have a couple of munchkins carry it out there to be set out with directions from Oz so that he never even has to leave and makes it even more confusing to the Scarecrow. And Oz wouldn't even be tied to it because no one knows where he is. This would actually further tie it into the original story in that it is just two ordinary folk who make it and put it up. It's more I can't see it rather than it doesn't make sense, if that makes what I'm saying clearer?
#5 doesn't even need that "it's even possible that", because it makes no sense at all for anyone(besides Dorothy and her gang) to be traveling those dangerous yellow brick roads anyway. There's more of a chance that no one would pass that cornfield than anything.

Oz likely would not tell anyone that he was creating Scarecrow except for Glinda. He has no reason to, and he won't endanger munchkins by having them travel the roads to deliver this scarecrow. There's no way to sneak anything when Theodora's forces are always watching.

Either way you slice this, it makes more sense.

And the Scarecrow should be tied to Oz, because that enhances the story. It's better than two ordinary folk just making him, and him somehow turning out to be a magic talking scarecrow.

Last edited:
It's becoming less hazy, but is still hazy. I guess the main question I have to ask is - where is the land of Oz and everything one year prior?

I'm still picturing clearly munchkins dancing around and having festivals when she arrives. And that witch's reign is a tough one, but she isn't killing everyone left and right. If someone steps out of line, they will be harmed though. And when the witch hears about the prophecy just a little before Dorothy arrives is when everything turns to chaos. And this being the reason why Evanora confronts Glinda when she does. That just before Dorothy arrives everything is going to hell. The witch is the last person to hear of it. That the hunt for Oz however is at an all time high because he main goal is "destroying" him. So two munchkins carrying a scarecrow, of which there are many, wouldn't be a blip on her radar. Her main goal is Oz and her revenge.

And I know why the Scarecrow being tied to Oz would work because that's why I came up with it.

Last edited:
It's becoming less hazy, but is still hazy. I guess the main question I have to ask is - where is the land of Oz and everything one year prior?

I'd really like the Scarecrow to be there at least two years before Dorothy's arrival. But this is while things are bad in Oz, but not so bad yet that the roads can't be traveled without fearing for your life. Oz gets there in a carriage or one of his speedy inventions and delivers the Scarecrow.

Or maybe Glinda takes Oz there via bubble. Now if she tried the bubble thing to get Oz somewhere while Theodora's forces had grown too bad(before Dorothy arrives), those bubbles probably would have gotten taken down by her flying baboons.

The problem with Franco, is he's too much of a straight man. Compare his Oz, to Frank Morgan, they are completely different characters. I don't they needed to copy Morgan's take, but they definitely needed someone more animated.

I thought Williams did the best job of taking on the classic character, but still bringing something new of herself. At the same time, you know it's the same character.

Knowles mentioned this in his review, which I don't know if anybody else will catch, but the fact that
Glinda is basically played by the same character as Oz's ex aka Dorothy's future mother, that means that the Glinda from the 1939 flick was what she actually looked like back then as a call back. Though with the timeframe could be her grandmother.
It's kind of a brain **** to think about, but I think Raimi did that purposely.

Last edited:
I'd really like the Scarecrow to be there at least two years before Dorothy's arrival. But this is while things are bad in Oz, but not so bad yet that the roads can't be traveled without fearing for your life. Oz gets there in a carriage or one of his speedy inventions and delivers the Scarecrow.

Or maybe Glinda takes Oz there via bubble.

Then there in that time it wouldn't make sense for Oz to travel out. If it's that safe he would send munchkins. It would avoid the Scarecrow possibly being tied to him and he wouldn't risk alerting the witch of his location. But I just might not be seeing this thing clear enough. Two years seems like even more of a time to me. It's just, as I said, it's not something I would do. It's not something I can quite get a grasp on so I wouldn't do it. That's not to say that it's good or bad, but that I just can't see it. And I've gotten to the point where I either completely follow my gut because it's gotten me this far with numerous stories, if I see things clearly and suggestions clearly that I readily agree with that means our vantage point on the story is the same and if I like it - I'd jump at it, yet if it's hazy to really get into it before saying or doing anything else. It's just how I've trained my mind over time. Here, I just can't see it and because I can't clearly see it it's hazy - so I don't feel comfortable with it. I don't feel comfortable doing things I can't see 100%. With the world I see, I just can't see it. And it's hard for me really to see any other world clearly that builds off of the ideas I've presented but with a couple of changes thrown into the mix that I'm aware of and others that I'm not as well as having a different time-line and everything. It just gets jumbled up. It's like how Sam Raimi is just now able to view 'The Amazing Spider-Man' with a completely cleared head. And even more so that it's jumping off of my ground-work for the further franchise but with slight nuisances here and there. I'd like to offer a concrete yes or no or at least something, but I really can't other than I'm unsure. And because I'm unsure I can't state anything concrete. Other than the way I'm imagining things, the puzzle pieces don't quite fit. But, they probably do to you and the way you present it with every little nuisance in there I might end up liking it. I just can't say yes or no.

Last edited:
Then there in that time it wouldn't make sense for Oz to travel out. If it's that safe he would send munchkins.

It would make sense for either Oz or Glinda to deliver the Scarecrow during that time. It makes no sense to tell two munchkins to deliver this scarecrow that no one should even know about besides Oz and Glinda. That way there is no risk of news getting out to Theodora. And the munchkins are already scared enough of Theodora as it is, so I can't see any wanting to take such a risk. But even if there were some munchkins willing to do it, it makes no sense because once again they shouldn't even know about this scarecrow, and also because Oz would risk his own life before theirs.

Tiny spoilers ahead so if you don't want anything spoilt for you, please look away.

Overall enjoyable movie, but I think they should have exploited the China Girl more. Like make her break again or at least give the sense of danger that she could break anytime. Maybe that will be too scary for kids to watch, I don't know... Woody did have his arm torn off in Toy Story 2

That would say that the munchkins know what they were carrying and why they were carrying it. They would have absolutely no idea at all.

I don't see why two munchkins setting up a scarecrow would be any news at all. Scarecrows are set up all over the place and they don't raise any alarms. Just like two regular folks setting up a scarecrow didn't raise any alarms. She would have no way of knowing it came from Oz. And Oz can remain in the shadows rather than risk getting caught because all of the witch's forces are on a man hunt for his head. From the ending of the first film on, it's clear that Oz will remain in the shadows.

To me the munchkins while scared aren't afraid for their life. The witch is more of a harsh dictator. It would still readily be the world as presented in Baum's books. That the emerald city is still lively, that the wizard has become a mythological being that no one really knows a lot about at this time since so much time has passed since he was last seen 20 years ago. And that when Dorothy first arrives there is a feast and celebration being held. I see it as war times that have gotten noticeably more harsh just before Dorothy arrives. And that she arrives just as the witches found and were going to confront Glinda, thus why Dorothy landed on Evanora. A storm is brewing and there are hints of darker things afoot, I would make a world that would blend itself easily in with the book with only adding in a couple of more connections.

As said, your world is radically different from mine.

1) How would anyone else know what this Scarecrow's purpose is if even the Scarecrow himself doesn't know?
2) Why would Theodora be concerned about two munchkins carrying a scarecrow? To me she is more concerned with her man hunt and her search for Oz.
3) I don't see the munchkins as absolutely terrified rather the storm is just starting, as said - different worlds, different stories.

One thing you need to understand that even though it is build off of my ground work. From that, you went off and brought in your own nuisances. Some I know of, others that I have no clue about. So while certain things may work or not work in your head, that's a world I don't know everything about. I'm not saying its good or bad, or even trying to say its bad in a kinder way if you think I am. All I'm saying is its hazy and I can't give you a concrete answer.

Last edited:
That would say that the munchkins know what they were carrying and why they were carrying it. They would have absolutely no idea at all.

I don't see why two munchkins setting up a scarecrow would be any news at all. Scarecrows are set up all over the place and they don't raise any alarms. Just like two regular folks setting up a scarecrow didn't raise any alarms. She would have no way of knowing it came from Oz. And Oz can remain in the shadows rather than risk getting caught because all of the witch's forces are on a man hunt for his head. From the ending of the first film on, it's clear that Oz will remain in the shadows.

To me the munchkins while scared aren't afraid for their life. The witch is more of a harsh dictator. It would still readily be the world as presented in Baum's books. That the emerald city is still lively, that the wizard has become a mythological being that no one really knows a lot about at this time since so much time has passed since he was last seen 20 years ago. And that when Dorothy first arrives there is a feast and celebration being held. I see it as war times that have gotten noticeably more harsh just before Dorothy arrives.

As said, your world is radically different from mine.

1) How would anyone else know what this Scarecrow's purpose is if even the Scarecrow himself doesn't know?
2) Why would Theodora be concerned about two munchkins carrying a scarecrow? To me she is more concerned with her man hunt and her search for Oz.
3) I don't see the munchkins as absolutely terrified rather the storm is just starting, as said - different worlds, different stories.

One thing you need to understand that even though it is build off of my ground work. From that, you went off and brought in your own nuisances. Some I know of, others that I have no clue about. So while certain things may work or not work in your head, that's a world I don't know everything about.

Why would two munchkins deliver something personally assigned to them by the Wizard of Oz without questioning it? They would want to know why a measly scarecrow is so important to travel down the dangerous roads of Oz and place in a cornfield. It makes no sense with no explanation, and it's a risk that no one would want to take without knowing why. And of course, Oz would not tell anyone at all why this scarecrow is so important except for Glinda.

1. No one would know his purpose. That's the idea. No one would expect a Scarecrow to be a guide sent by Oz.

2. Theodora would not be concerned, it's her forces that would make it difficult for the munchkins to travel the road without being questioned or quite likely captured.

3. Of course the Munchkins are terrified. You can even see how much Theodora terrorizes them in this movie, and evenually Wizard of Oz.

And these things don't just work in my head. They work on paper and would work in a movie as well. There aren't really any holes in what I'm saying, and everything makes sense.

The film is also a disappointment in that the first half of the movie sets up on something that the second half never lives up to. The film should have ended after the reveal of the "Wizard of Oz", but instead ends in a Gandalf vs. Saruman style battle between Williams and Weisz.

The problem is the film just doesn't live up to the potential of what it could have been, and is certainly not the prequel to the classic film that most would want.

Instead of being vague, why don't you explain what you think the first half was setting up?

Being a huge fan of the original, it was great to see the backstory on the wicked witches sister(Weisz)...before Dorothy's house fell on her. They kind of needed to show her being banished from the Emerald City. What should they have done, just have her run off INTO the castle and then not show her again?

As for it not being the prequel most would want. You can only speak for yourself and no one else. I thought it was a nice prequel to the original.

It was Never going to live up to the original, due to the original being such a classic. I went in knowing that it most likely wouldn't top the charm of the first one, and ended up enjoying it in the end.

It wasn't great, but it was definitely enjoyable.

Because everyone is afraid to question the great Wizard. He has gotten to the point in which he scares anyone who enters his chambers. No way would the munchkins have the balls to ask that guy why they're carrying a scarecrow. Everyone runs out of his chambers.

1. And that's why I came up with the idea of the Scarecrow as a guide. The question was about the munchkins.

2. Her forces would be looking for Oz. She has an iron fist so that no one will dare to challenge her. She needs to chop Oz down because he's the head and to get her revenge. She's so crazed about destroying him, all her efforts would be put towards that. It was her sister was so crazed about ruling over the people, it was Theodora's sole mission to get revenge on Oz.

3. Scared yes, but before Dorothy not that they'll get easily killed. As said, I envision an iron fist and then just before Dorothy arrives everything heats up and nobody dares to cross over that road because they can sense things have radically changed. Dorothy's arrival signals great change both good and bad. This is also when Evanora first goes to find Glinda and gets cut off - literally. Dorothy hasn't arrived "in the middle" of a crises, she arrives just as it's getting started and is in it's worst possible condition.

Last edited:
Because everyone is afraid to question the great Wizard. He has gotten to the point in which he scares anyone who enters his chambers. No way would the munchkins have the balls to ask that guy why they're carrying a scarecrow.

1. And that's why I came up with the idea of the Scarecrow as a guide. The question was about the munchkins.

2. Her forces would be looking for Oz. She has an iron fist so that no one will dare to challenge her. She needs to chop Oz down because he's the head and to get her revenge. She's so crazed about destroying him, all her efforts would be put towards that. It was her sister was so crazed about ruling over the people, it was Theodora's sole mission to get revenge on Oz.

3. Scared yes, but before Dorothy not that they'll get easily killed. As said, I envision an iron fist and then just before Dorothy arrives everything heats up and nobody dares to cross over that road because they can sense things have radically changed. This is also when Evanora first goes to find Glinda and gets cut off - literally.

I don't see it being in the Wizard's character to scare some munchkins and force them into delivering this scarecrow. It's just not going to happen. Makes him look as bad as the wicked witch, and if those munchkins get killed or captured it's because of him. Glinda would not allow that.

The Munchkins are people too and will wonder why they're carrying something like this and why it's so important, no matter how you look at it. Any one of us would want to do the same thing if we were tasked with delivering something that was somewhere dangerous.

The munchkins being scared of Theodora is what will keep them off of those roads. She is the reason, and no munchkin in their right minds are going to risk their lives doing something like this unless forced or told why. Oz will not tell anyone why except for Glinda. What if those munchkins that Oz has just divulged this valuable information to are captured by Theodora's forces on the way to the cornfield? Not smart on Oz's part at all.

Last edited:
I see Oz has already having those working under his command since he can't go out into the open. And that the witch wouldn't care about a couple of randoms when her sights are on a much bigger head. To me they wouldn't be caught or killed or captured because every force is on the look out for Oz's actual location. They would be a couple of nobody's.

Curious, of course, to the point that they'll start sprouting off about it - no. They know the Wizard is their only shot at getting rid of the wicked witch despite being afraid of him.

Making sure the witch doesn't find the location of the one man who could save them would be of top importance. As is knowing the witch isn't looking for them. This is why when Dorothy and the trio go through -- they aren't confronted with millions of quadlings and the like securing the perimeters. The flying monkeys and everything is out of revenge for Dorothy killing her sister, she doesn't do that to everybody who crosses or that dungeon would be plenty full by now. Nor would two folk be setting up a scarecrow along the trail. Nor would the munkins be throwing a celebration.

All I'm basically doing is looking at what kind of regime this would be to explain:

1) Why munchkins are celebrating and throwing a festival beside the entrance to the yellow brick road when Dorothy arrives.
2) Why the Scarecrow has been set up somewhere along the way of the yellow brick road by two ordinary folk.
3) Why Dorothy is the only one in that dungeon.
4) Why nobody knows Oz is a man any longer.

And by the way, that was not originally your reasoning for why scarecrow is a guide. And if it was, you didn't mention it at all. I was actually the one to throw in the particular idea of no one suspecting a scarecrow.

Scarecrow would originally know his purpose. It's not until he gets to the cornfield and the crows cause him lose his memory that he forgets.

Just saw it. It was good but not great. Theodora's motives were really exaggerated to the point of almost being laughable. She was talking about knowing a different man or some crap...that was like yesterday lady. Everything else was pretty good. Great imagery and man the cg on that porcelain doll was amazing. Everything with the witches being bad was total Raimi and I loved it. The quick zoom in on Evanora at the end, the Wicked Witch's hand scratching the table...so good.

I see Oz has already having those working under his command since he can't go out into the open. And that the witch wouldn't care about a couple of randoms when her sights are on a much bigger head. To me they wouldn't be caught or killed or captured because every force is on the look out for Oz's actual location. They would be a couple of nobody's.

Curious, of course, to the point that they'll start sprouting off about it - no. They know the Wizard is their only shot at getting rid of the wicked witch despite being afraid of him.

Making sure the witch doesn't find the location of the one man who could save them would be of top importance. As is knowing the witch isn't looking for them. This is why when Dorothy and the trio go through -- they aren't confronted with millions of guards and the like. The flying monkeys and everything is out of revenge for Dorothy killing her sister, she doesn't do that to everybody who crosses or that dungeon would be plenty full by now. Nor would two folk be setting up a scarecrow along the trail. Nor would the munkins be throwing a celebration.

All I'm basically doing is looking at what kind of regime this would be to explain:

1) Why munchkins are celebrating and throwing a festival beside the entrance to the yellow brick road when Dorothy arrives.
2) Why the Scarecrow has been set up somewhere along the way of the yellow brick road by two ordinary folk.

Oz is not going to endanger the lives of munchkins by having them travel that distance for something so dangerous, regardless of having them under his employment or not. Munchkins are not fighters and he knows that.

The munchkins have a good chance of getting killer or captured because those roads are dangerous period. Theodora's forces(dark creatures and such) are out and could kill them, if Theodora doesn't somehow capture them first. It's just too much of an uncertainty and it makes Oz look irresponsible and carless to take such a risk.

And yeah, now that I remember it. But, we are still working off 75-80% of a groundwork that I've established with you mentioning nuisances in and around. See and the second part is another area where we largely disagree. You would have that in your story, I wouldn't.

Can you explain this a little further? I feel like I might be able to reply with something, but I'm not sure what you're asking.

Nobody knows what either of you are talking about.

And yeah, now that I remember it. But, we are still working off 75-80% of a groundwork that I've established with you mentioning nuisances in and around. See and the second part is another area where we largely disagree. You would have that in your story, I wouldn't.

Not really, I've been going off on my own thing mostly if you go back and look where this started. I know this because we've kept on having differences on how to approach these movies.

Oz is not going to endanger the lives of munchkins by having them travel that distance for something so dangerous, regardless of having them under his employment or not. Munchkins are not fighters and he knows that.

The munchkins have a good chance of getting killer or captured because those roads are dangerous period. Theodora's forces(dark creatures and such) are out and could kill them, if Theodora doesn't somehow capture them first. It's just too much of an uncertainty and it makes Oz look irresponsible and carless to take such a risk.

I should also state I see this Oz as being much closer, in the end, to the Oz in the books. So it would make perfect sense. That Oz, without the prophecy, sent a little girl, a lion, a scarecrow, and the tin man on a hunt to kill a witch and knew it was a suicide mission. And as to his slightly added in morals - he doesn't necessarily like what he's doing that much, but he knows it's what's needed. And that he can not venture out because he is target #1 and without him everything goes to hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"