Oz: The Great and Powerful - Part 1

I thought the best stuff in 3D were in the credits and the b&w portion. I liked how Raimi used the black side bars to simulate off screen moving objects like the doves flying away etc.

I admit the beginning credits in 3D were amazing, I loved that part. I also very much enjoyed the black and white and screen ratio change when it went to color.

Yeah, that worked real well too. Very well set up. Definitely enjoyed alot of the visuals and sets. The graveyard scene looked straight out of Army Of Darkness.

Also dug Elfmans's score alot.

i had low expectations.so i enjoyed the movie.

Elfman's score was fantastic and the added Raimi horror stuff ( how creepy the witch at the end was) were perfect touches.

Oh and the Bruce Campbell cameo was hilarious, I laughed so hard.

Elfman's score was fantastic and the added Raimi horror stuff ( how creepy the witch at the end was) were perfect touches.

Oh and the Bruce Campbell cameo was hilarious, I laughed so hard.
Yeah, she looked full deadite in that last scene. Good to see BC in this.

Thinking about it more I really wish they gave the Wicked Witch a few more moments..

The scene where she confronts Oz and was turning him into a puppet was pretty cool, but that was all she did for the film. Felt like they were setting her up for a larger confrontation, but she didn't really do much but be on the side of Weisz during the finale.

Last edited:
Kunis nailed the Wicked Witch whenever she was screeching and acting berserk. Her calmer voice still sounded off, but anytime she yelled something or did something psychotic, she actually seemed scary. That slasher smile she gives when making Oz fly was wonderfully unstable.

She does come off as a sheltered little girl who suddenly starts snorting evil crack, which is hilarious.

I thought it was an adorable film. It had tons heart and I liked the plot and loved the direction. Franco is miscast but he isn't bad at all because he is a solid actor. It's obvious that Raimi has a deep effection for the original film. I dug how the film was pure and innocent and unabashedly sentimental, we don't have anything like that anymore as everything has to be grim and gritty. It's not a great film but it's a solid peice of entertaining blockbuster filmmaking. Way better than Alice in Wonderland.
i agree.

only an oldschool director could make a movie like this. just look at this shot.
8at6w4e.jpg

today only Jackson,Spielberg,Scott and Cameron would have a shot like this.

i wonder how much was deleted with Oz and Theodora. i have a feeling there is around 10 minutes more of development. i understand why Disney had to cut it down to 2 hours. everything longer would be bad IMO.

That shot in the film gave me goosebumps its just a shame Kunis didn't deliver the wicked witch I expected.Even with the prosthetics her face just didn't look right.

i liked her. i think her natural voice was perfect for a young wicked witch. i liked the scene where she screams ''i hate you'' .

i wonder if they used two different make ups for her. in some scenes she looked demonic and in some she looked like a green fat Mila Kunis. and i know how perspective and lighting works. heheh :)

I loved all the homages.

Not sure if anyone caught this but Michelle Williams Kansas character was going to marry a man named John Gale. Gale is Dorothy's last name.

i liked her. i think her natural voice was perfect for a young wicked witch. i liked the scene where she screams ''i hate you'' .

i wonder if they used two different make ups for her. in some scenes she looked demonic and in some she looked like a green fat Mila Kunis. and i know how perspective and lighting works. heheh :)

See I expected much more of a performance rather than just loosely wingin it, I just really wish they used an effect on her voice. Her face is too round and is not shaped properly to give the iconic image of a witches long and pointy face.

The original wicked witch was scary and threatening Mila didn't even seem to frighten the residents of Oz all that much.

i wonder why Raimi never showed a close up on Theodora's tears? my friends didnt even see that her tears made scars on her skin.

Bruce Campbell spoiler
eOd8z3h.jpg

That part of the film with Campbell was very funny comic relief.

I really enjoyed it! Franco, Williams, and Weisz did good. Kunis was excellent! Her laugh gave me some chills! I just wish there could have been more nods to more classic characters like maybe The Tin Man or Tic Toc. Otherwise, a very well done job by Sam Raimi!

interesting. the apple on the set was red. they changed it to green in post.
5d2DqDv.gif

to bad that they changed it. her giving her the red apple would be a great homage.

The wicked witch is one of the most iconic villains in film history her voice should sound full of evil and hateful, not just Mila Kunis using her normal voice. It would be like if Heath Ledger played The Joker just using his normal everyday voice. Her cackling laugh only happened a few times and didn't match the rest of her voice.

I agree, Kunis was great as Theodora, but horrible as the Wicked Witch. When she screamed it was even worse. I think it shows what a great actress Margaret Hamilton was in creating one of the most memorable characters on film.

I loved all the homages.

Not sure if anyone caught this but Michelle Williams Kansas character was going to marry a man named John Gale. Gale is Dorothy's last name.

Yes, that and that he was playing in the Baum brother's circus and his partner's name was Frank.

If any of you think that was actually Mila's laugh, you're crazy. It was so clearly dubbed (someone else's laugh).

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I thought France did a good job, as well as the other two. Great Disney movie :)

24 mil on friday and expecting more today.

I still think it is actually Mila's laugh...

Either way the laugh did not match her normal voice she used for the wicked witch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"