Parts I and II (Spoiler Thread)

Well it's off to a more interesting start than TBoBF, I'll give it that. Not thrilled with that Grand Inquisitor twist, though. He'd better survive.
Take out lil Leia, and Book of Boba is better imo. But I do love lil Leia...

Reva's parkour was hilariously bad. This show isn't starting off good. Kenobi letting his powers fade makes no sense since he is supposed to be protecting Luke. He could still meditate to keep up his power. You didn't see Yoda do any training except meditating. So everyone knows Darth Vader is Anakin? I thought this was a secret to most people and everyone only knew him as Darth Vader.

Take out lil Leia, and Book of Boba is better imo. But I do love lil Leia...
Agree to disagree. Boba had FAR worse directing. Rodriguez tanked it, imo, and the pacing was disastrous. I'll only ever rewatch the two Mandalorian eps, tbh.

Yeah, not a fan of Reva. That twist with Grand Inquisitor... really? Also, those Leia chase scenes were pretty goofy.

Ewan Mcgregor & little Leia were great though. Overall enjoyed both episodes.

Agree to disagree. Boba had FAR worse directing. Rodriguez tanked it, imo, and the pacing was disastrous. I'll only ever rewatch the two Mandalorian eps, tbh.
I thought the directing was on par here. Composition was fine for the most part, but the pacing and work with the actors? I don't know. Reva's performance is a special kind of bad, and it's not just her with that gang. The two other Inquisitors that spoke were almost as bad imo.

Boba was super choppy. But the writing here just feels so much worse. They spent 50 mins telling us how dangerous it is to be a Jedi and then... Obi-Wan shows off his lightsaber at the spaceport where they were just hunting Jedi.

I already can tell where this is going with Obi-Wan most likely "faking" his death, and I just... this feels more pointless then Boba. Which I was not expecting.

I thought the directing was on par here. Composition was fine for the most part, but the pacing and work with the actors? I don't know. Reva's performance is a special kind of bad, and it's not just her with that gang. The two other Inquisitors that spoke were almost as bad imo.

Boba was super choppy. But the writing here just feels so much worse. They spent 50 mins telling us how dangerous it is to be a Jedi and then... Obi-Wan shows off his lightsaber at the spaceport where they were just hunting Jedi.

I already can tell where this is going with Obi-Wan most likely "faking" his death, and I just... this feels more pointless then Boba. Which I was not expecting.
I had no issue with the other Inquisitors (beyond the GI's head, obviously). Reva's just overdone, imo. I will agree the writing's as bad as Boba here, but the directing? Nah, it ain't even close. Boba was a very special kind of bad - the worst directing I've ever seen in Star Wars, and that includes George's rusty work on the prequels. This has a long way to go before it reaches those levels for me.

The funny thing is they brought back Hayden and it is just more of the same bad Star Wars. This guy can't catch a break. He gets all excited to return and get a second chance as a more seasoned actor. Well we will see what happens with his character, but it is not looking good.

The Inquisitors were probably the big asterisk for my enjoyment here. Well... one of them. The Rebels thing and the... odd place this feels like it exists in also are there. Overall though, I had a good time. Those three though (well, four, but she didn't do anything yet) were disappointing. Their introductory scene I thought was promising, but I found after that point they just felt a bit hard to take seriously as they bicker with Reva. Reva in turn felt like the weak link, the performance was unconvincing.

Otherwise though, I'd say I had a really good time with it. I have those issues and the looming spectre of "Oh god Obi-Wan is going to fight Vader like ten feet from the Lars homestead, isn't he?" that I just feel is going to happen at this point with how fast and loose they seem to be playing some elements. But it was a good time for me.

The Inquisitors were probably the big asterisk for my enjoyment here. Well... one of them. The Rebels thing and the... odd place this feels like it exists in also are there. Overall though, I had a good time. Those three though (well, four, but she didn't do anything yet) were disappointing. Their introductory scene I thought was promising, but I found after that point they just felt a bit hard to take seriously as they bicker with Reva. Reva in turn felt like the weak link, the performance was unconvincing.

Otherwise though, I'd say I had a really good time with it. I have those issues and the looming spectre of "Oh god Obi-Wan is going to fight Vader like ten feet from the Lars homestead, isn't he?" that I just feel is going to happen at this point with how fast and loose they seem to be playing some elements. But it was a good time for me.
Yes, I think if one thing's clear, it's that the writers of this show aren't as big into the lore (or at least the part of the lore that this show is diving into) as Favreau and Filoni are. And that's gonna cause some continuity issues the likes of which Trekkies are more accustomed to dealing with than Star Wars fans are, lol.

Yes, I think if one thing's clear, it's that the writers of this show aren't as big into the lore (or at least the part of the lore that this show is diving into) as Favreau and Filoni are. And that's gonna cause some continuity issues the likes of which Trekkies are more accustomed to dealing with than Star Wars fans are, lol.
There is exactly 0% of me that you can convince that Obi-Wan running around with the new best Star Wars character and then fighting Vader on Tatooine (according to the recent poster) feels like a natural bridge between the two points we have... so I'm just asking to enjoy the six episodes. :funny:

I had no issue with the other Inquisitors (beyond the GI's head, obviously). Reva's just overdone, imo. I will agree the writing's as bad as Boba here, but the directing? Nah, it ain't even close. Boba was a very special kind of bad - the worst directing I've ever seen in Star Wars, and that includes George's rusty work on the prequels. This has a long way to go before it reaches those levels for me.
Just curious. What did you find particularly bad about the Boba directing? I definitely thought there were some subpar moments (speeder chase #1), but some of it was also very good imo.

Nothing about the Inquisitors interaction felt nature to me. Some of that was the dialogue, but a lot of that was how the scenes were directed imo. It feels like a real lack of understanding of the power dynamics and characters. Reva can be defiant without clearly being in the need of having her head chopped off, as her superior is right there. She never listens, not once, and there is no indication that anyone seems to understand this.

So what it turned into was a bunch of classic "stop it loose cannon" dialogue, like they were simply going through the motions, without any real indication of authority or tension.

Then there is the weird stuff like Obi-Wan just standing there being held (bro you know the force) and that not even mattering because he slowly drops some drugs on the floor, without one blaster shot. It was all just... weird. This stuff also lacks the general physicality of the better Star Wars on Disney+ fare. I was worried we'd get more "floaty" Mando moments out of Chow, and well, yeah. That's pretty much how the action played out. Though I will say the little bit of the roof falling and blocking their way for two seconds being enough to escape absolutely murdered me. :funny:

I'll add that I want the Grand Inquisitor to live not just for continuity reasons, but because Rupert Friend is a much better actor than what I'm seeing from the actress playing Reva, and I'd much prefer to have him as a main baddie. Otherwise it's gonna feel like the show has shot itself in the foot much in the same way Luke Cage did.

I have some serious reservations of concern over the direction of this show. For starters it’s already stepping off the established cannon path. Only a selected few knew that Anakin Skywalker was Darth Vader during this period of time . And as far as the books were concerned it wasn’t the inquisitors. Vader did most of the work killing Jedi across the Galaxy, Kenobi only ventured off World once and he remained inconspicuous that no one recognized him.

I'll add that I want the Grand Inquisitor to live not just for continuity reasons, but because Rupert Friend is a much better actor than what I'm seeing from the actress playing Reva, and I'd much prefer to have him as a main baddie. Otherwise it's gonna feel like the show has shot itself in the foot much in the same way Luke Cage did.
Yeah, for all my issues with the group's bickering and how I think it undercut the Grand Inquisitor's potential as a commanding presence, I'd rather see more of him without that than more of her. I guess the one thing that might stop it from a Luke Cage situation is we know she's not the real big bad. :o

da1b50b2aa1d610952c7633826c2c3b3b70d8c61.jpg

Move over Fallen, Barbells, and Trandoshans....we have a new Reptilian Overlords

Just curious. What did you find particularly bad about the Boba directing? I definitely thought there were some subpar moments (speeder chase #1), but some of it was also very good imo.

Nothing about the Inquisitors interaction felt nature to me. Some of that was the dialogue, but a lot of that was how the scenes were directed imo. It feels like a real lack of understanding of the power dynamics and characters. Reva can be defiant without clearly being in the need of having her head chopped off, as her superior is right there. She never listens, not once, and there is no indication that anyone seems to understand this.

So what it turned into was a bunch of classic "stop it loose cannon" dialogue, like they were simply going through the motions, without any real indication of authority or tension.

Then there is the weird stuff like Obi-Wan just standing there being held (bro you know the force) and that not even mattering because he slowly drops some drugs on the floor, without one blaster shot. It was all just... weird. This stuff also lacks the general physicality of the better Star Wars on Disney+ fair. I was worried we'd get more "floaty" Mando moments out of Chow, and well, yeah. That's pretty much how the action played out. Though I will say the little bit of the roof falling and blocking their way for two seconds being enough to escape absolutely murdered me. :funny:
I pointed out all the stuff I hated in Boba in that show's threads. I really don't want to rehash it here because I really don't enjoy revisiting those early episodes at all. :funny: Suffice it to say, the action was VERY poorly shot in and edited in the Rodriguez-directed episodes in particular, the "biker gang" was just as cringy for me there as the Inquisitors are here, and all the drama and tension fell completely flat, due partially to the godawful structure. If you disagree that's fine. You know I hate to go back and forth - we're not changing each others' minds. Book of Boba Fett was simply the worst bit of live-action Star Wars I've seen since Attack of the Clones. Minus the Mando eps that Bryce and Dave directed. Those were nice (Uncanny Valley Luke in Dave's ep aside). But whenever the focus came back to Boba, it was like we were back in amateur-land to me.

When it comes to Star Wars, the non-live action stuff is canon... until it is not. That's how it has always been, and will always be.

Loved these two episodes. That opening scene! Give me Vader-Anakin going full Order 66 please!

Anything happens to lil Leia and I'm throwing hands!!!

When it comes to Star Wars, the non-live action stuff is canon... until it is not. That's how it has always been, and will always be.

Loved these two episodes. That opening scene! Give me Vader-Anakin going full Order 66 please!

Anything happens to lil Leia and I'm throwing hands!!!
She's going to die at the ripe old age of 56, from a broken heart, to save her jerk son who should've died in a fire. And not a cool Jedi funeral one.

So Reva was considered the lesser of the inquisitors but was able to easily kill the Grand Inquisitor? C'mon.
She was considered "lesser" due to her background/standing/planet etc.

Her skills/abilities were good enough for them to look past the "stench" of her being from a lower strata.

She was considered "lesser" due to her background/standing/planet etc.

Her skills/abilities were good enough for them to look past the "stench" of her being from a lower strata.
But not good enough to sense Obi-Wan behind a bunch of boxes. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"