Passage of time in MOS

I'd like to think it takes him a year to hit earth. making him 34 during the events of the movie. Which probably take place in the course of a couple of months.

Speaking of which how long is it when after the whole destruction leading up to Clark's introduction to the Daily Planet?

It's like wow man that was some devastation, right? and oh by the way meet our new reporter Clark Kent.

Either:

1. The Daily Planet shifted to an all new office space.
2. They used Chinese contractors to rebuild the city in 90 days.. :woot:

note: There's a chinese company that's about to start building the world's tallest building (taller than the Burge), in 90 days. It'll also be 8.0 Earthquake proof. And this includes all the interiors fixtures and ready for occupation. They already built a 30 story hotel in 15 days.

[YT]Hdpf-MQM9vY[/YT]

I'd like to think it takes him a year to hit earth. making him 34 during the events of the movie. Which probably take place in the course of a couple of months.

Given the pictures of Martha holding the Baby Clark, It certainly did not take a year. It may have been much quicker and less "1000" years have passed. Maybe a few days at most honestly.

This is one complaint I had.

1. Clark gets the suit and flies.
2. Lois has a montage to find Clark.
3. Zod arrives.

Now there is no clue how much time it takes for #2 to happen. I know they don't have to spell it out, but it could've been 3 months to a year? It takes time to travel across the country to find someone. Also you don't really know how long he is in the FoS. Seems like he's in there for, what, 2 hours maybe? Did Clark do nothing in the suit after learning to fly?

Some people just hand-wave it away, but it was a question in my head while watching the movie when I didn't want it to be.
My impression was that #2 happened very quickly - less than two weeks, and probably less than one. But that's based on one viewing and a less-than-perfect memory. My memory tells me that Lois had the story rejected and gave it to the website guy, then had the finding-Clark-montage, then came home and lied that her leads had gone cold. In that same conversation, Perry is chastising Lois for publishing her story - it doesn't make sense for him to be upset about it if it happened ages ago. Really, the only thing making me think the entire present-day section didn't happen within one week's time is that Lois doesn't seem to be injured anymore. However, that's already the case when she tries to submit the story, so it doesn't really affect #2. Of course, if I'm misremembering the order of the scenes, then my entire post in invalid.

Given the pictures of Martha holding the Baby Clark, It certainly did not take a year. It may have been much quicker and less "1000" years have passed. Maybe a few days at most honestly.

no i agree. Theres nothing that would lead me to believe that the trip wasn't instantaneous actually. Baby Kal has no baby foods in that pod. But I just like to believe it took a year. Space travel for me has always been "the longer it takes the more believable it is."

There was definitely a gap between him deciding to be a reporter and his first day at the DP.

There was definitely a gap between him deciding to be a reporter and his first day at the DP.
Oh, I forgot all about that when talking about present-day scenes. IIRC, someone posted that an interview indicated about three weeks were supposed to have passed between the end of the battle and Clark's start at the DP?

Theres nothing that would lead me to believe that the trip wasn't instantaneous actually. Baby Kal has no baby foods in that pod. But I just like to believe it took a year.
If Zod had still been right at Krypton, I'd say he took about the same amount of time to get to Earth as baby Kal-El did. But he wasn't. Still, to me I'd say both trips were very quick (which also makes Lois' investigatory time shorter, which I already mentioned I thought it was because of Perry's reaction to her web-posted-story).

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot all about that when talking about present-day scenes. IIRC, someone posted that an interview indicated about three weeks were supposed to have passed between the end of the battle and Clark's start at the DP?

Oh really? I just thought it must have cause Zod smashed his way through the building and it was back to normal by then.

no i agree. Theres nothing that would lead me to believe that the trip wasn't instantaneous actually. Baby Kal has no baby foods in that pod. But I just like to believe it took a year. Space travel for me has always been "the longer it takes the more believable it is."

It wasn't space travel, ie, in real time space.. they had a warp drive, called the phamtom drive... they actually showed his pod entering 'a singularity' and then exiting just ouside the Moon.. so, yes, it took maybe a few hours max for the travel between our moon to earth... the rest of the journey was in 'warp space'...

Space travel in real space/time is not possible at all, even if you can travel at the speed of light... if Krypton is in another galaxy, it would have taken billions of years...

Oh really? I just thought it must have cause Zod smashed his way through the building and it was back to normal by then.
Yeah, another poster made a joke that the Carl's Jr. guys must work really fast when they read that (which was odd, because I'd remembered it as Hardees, but then I Googled). I didn't actually read the interview, myself, though.

Yeah, another poster made a joke that the Carl's Jr. guys must work really fast when they read that (which was odd, because I'd remembered it as Hardees, but then I Googled). I didn't actually read the interview, myself, though.

Ha ha tbh I have no idea how quickly they can rebuild things lol

My bigger issue was "why weren't Zod and his crew "OLD" , by the time they made it to earth??

Clark was 33 years old by the time Zod found Clark.....Zod was a fully grown man when Kal was born.

In the past, imprisonment in the P-Zone explained their agelessness. But in MOS, they were released when the planet blew up. Then they hop around the galaxy looking for him......they should have been aging.

1. Did they have suspended animation chambers on the ship?

2. Do Kryptonians age slower due to the dense planet?

3. Cant blame it on the yellow sun.

My bigger issue was "why weren't Zod and his crew "OLD" , by the time they made it to earth??

Clark was 33 years old by the time Zod found Clark.....Zod was a fully grown man when Kal was born.

In the past, imprisonment in the P-Zone explained their agelessness. But in MOS, they were released when the planet blew up. Then they hop around the galaxy looking for him......they should have been aging.

1. Did they have suspended animation chambers on the ship?

2. Do Kryptonians age slower due to the dense planet?

3. Cant blame it on the yellow sun.

Science fiction wise, there could be one explanation... (though goyer never made it as part of the script)

They used the phantom drive to travel vast distances.. when warping space/time, the outcome could be different for different voyagers.. maybe it took Zod 33 years in the space/time warp field, while it only took baby clark 'a day' to travel the same distance?? Meaning, while in the 'time bubble' to them time is irrelevant, but on the outside, time may be moving faster/slower, depending on their warp field....

Science fiction wise, there could be one explanation... (though goyer never made it as part of the script)

They used the phantom drive to travel vast distances.. when warping space/time, the outcome could be different for different voyagers.. maybe it took Zod 33 years in the space/time warp field, while it only took baby clark 'a day' to travel the same distance?? Meaning, while in the 'time bubble' to them time is irrelevant, but on the outside, time may be moving faster/slower, depending on their warp field....

Hmmmmmmmm

I've always had a problem figuring out when Krypton was destroyed and how it syncs with Earth years and Clark's arrival. But that happens in every format for me. Sometimes it comes off as Krypton being destroyed centuries ago, then I wonder how old is Clark really. 30+ yrs but from a planet that has been dead for 100s of years.
One flaw the movie has is it does make things seem like they are moving to fast. It came off that Kal El was born, Zod kills the council, Zod kills Jor El, Zod and his crew get sent to The PZ, Krypton is destroyed all in one day, maybe 2. Really?
Then on Earth Clark discovers who he is learns to fly, goes home to mom and the next afternoon YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

I've always had a problem figuring out when Krypton was destroyed and how it syncs with Earth years and Clark's arrival. But that happens in every format for me. Sometimes it comes off as Krypton being destroyed centuries ago, then I wonder how old is Clark really. 30+ yrs but from a planet that has been dead for 100s of years.
One flaw the movie has is it does make things seem like they are moving to fast. It came off that Kal El was born, Zod kills the council, Zod kills Jor El, Zod and his crew get sent to The PZ, Krypton is destroyed all in one day, maybe 2. Really?
Then on Earth Clark discovers who he is learns to fly, goes home to mom and the next afternoon YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
If the ship is using warp drive that could explain how Krypton could be very old ........distance is bent ...Point A is brought towards Point B through sub-space....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB74Wxp8BWw

Thank you for that link, it does help me understand it a little bit better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"