Iron Man 3 Pepper Potts as Rescue

When Tony says "the one thing I can't live without" and gestures towards her, she's got her arms folded across her chest and she looks very, very displeased with Mr. Stark.

That's hows she looked in all the films.

Hell, Pepper doesn't even look keen in the direct dialogue with Stark. When Tony says "the one thing I can't live without" and gestures towards her, she's got her arms folded across her chest and she looks very, very displeased with Mr. Stark. So if he *is* implying that he wants to build her a His N Hers Matching Love-Buddy Suit, Pepper doesn't look like she's buying it for one second.

She has her hands by her sides actually.

Arms folded across her chest would indicate unhappy or defensive as you suggest but this is not the case.

She has her hands by her sides actually.

Arms folded across her chest would indicate unhappy or defensive as you suggest but this is not the case.

Okay, but are you saying that she *does* look happy with Tony in that scene? Maybe if she's taking "acting" lessons from Kristen Stewart.....

Okay, but are you saying that she *does* look happy with Tony in that scene? Maybe if she's taking "acting" lessons from Kristen Stewart.....

It's a 1 second shot. There is no way anyone can read body language from that. You could be proven correct, but you can't use it in your argument.

Yes I know the line I keep quoting could also be out of context, but IMO the way he says it while he gestures at her suggests he is talking about protecting her from physical danger.

Lets not forget that since the Avengers the world they inhabit would seem a much more dangerous place. I guess the crux of my argument is that if I was Tony in that world, I would take extraordinary measures to protect the one I love, with or without her permission.

It's more a progression of Tony's arc than hers in that sense.

If you can take a line from the trailer and use it without knowing context, I can take body language from the trailer and use it without knowing context. Fair's fair.

If you can take a line from the trailer and use it without knowing context, I can take body language from the trailer and use it without knowing context. Fair's fair.

He's got you there. Though I would argue you could take a screenshot of her in that scene and be able to have a fair guess at what her body language may say.

Body language from a less than 1 second shot? I think the FBI could use your talents. I have seen people laugh during a fierce argument and people look intense during a fun discussion. If you showed me a 1 second clip of someone laughing or looking intense there is no way I would be able to tell you what that person was thinking, just no way.

The line I quote is the end of a speech of which we clearly hear 20 + seconds plus related visuals. Massive difference.

Don't exaggerate. I'm not arguing I can tell what she is thinking, that's a ludicrous suggestion. I'm saying that still images of people are generally easy to read body language for simple emotions like have happy/sad or if they have a defensive posture or not etc. Hardly perfect, but far from FBI profiling.

There isn't a real difference since the line is a chopped up soundbite that is mashed up with some random imagery that you won't see it associated with in film. If you can dissect a single soundbite, then others can dissect a screenshot.

From the trailer it looks like pepper gets kidnapped. And let's face it, Shane Black loves kidnapping characters in his scripts. It's kind of his thing.

So, either pepper gets the armour and is nevertheless captured. Which should appease people, for she clearly fails and hardly takes focus away from Tony and War Machine. Or she gets the armour somehow, and uses it to break free from her kidnapper/s. Which shouldn't make people too mad, for it is likely tony who delivers it to her, and she will probably just fly away, perhaps a few explosions in the background, before landing in safety elsewhere.

For simplicity's sake, i think the script will just see her getting captured due to tony being out of commission at a critical time. If rescue indeed happens, it will be to RESCUE pepper, perhaps with jarvis controlling the flight systems, all the while pepper is screaming and yelling at tony for rescuing her in such an extreme (albeit, thrilling) way.

Pepper: "What were you thinking!! I almost puked the suit!"
Tony: "I think I did okay!"

Don't exaggerate? Seriously? Can you please mention this to Cherokee?

Fair enough to say the quote is all chopped up, it is. It seems to me though that you can read into what is said more than you can into a less than 1 second screenshot.

You haven't addressed this though:

"Lets not forget that since the Avengers the world they inhabit would seem a much more dangerous place. I guess the crux of my argument is that if I was Tony in that world, I would take extraordinary measures to protect the one I love, with or without her permission.

It's more a progression of Tony's arc than hers in that sense. "

How about this:
Tony is on his bed reading through some file or tech book. We see an armored figure approaching the bedroom. Suspense! The bedroom door bursts open and the armored figure stands there menacingly. Tony looks stunned. The armored figure removes its
helmet and we see it's Pepper.

Pepper: So you ready for some role-playing?
Tony: (pause) I am so turned on right now!
Pepper: (smiles, shakes her head) I am so gonna hurt you little man
Tony smiles

Here we could give a nod to the Rescue fans who want to see Pepper/Gwyneth armored up and also have a fun joke at Tony/RDJ's narcissistic nature. Some guys would like to see their girlfriends dress up as a cheerleader or a French maid or a dominatrix, but Tony wants his girl to dress up as, figuratively, himself. Think it would be a funny scene.

Don't exaggerate? Seriously? Can you please mention this to Cherokee?

Fair enough to say the quote is all chopped up, it is. It seems to me though that you can read into what is said more than you can into a less than 1 second screenshot.

"Lets not forget that since the Avengers the world they inhabit would seem a much more dangerous place. I guess the crux of my argument is that if I was Tony in that world, I would take extraordinary measures to protect the one I love, with or without her permission.

Yes, yes it was addressed. Many times over the last few pages.

At this point, the whole Rescue argument has come down to "is not! is too! is not! is too!" back and forth. Nobody's making any headway here, and we've pretty much exhausted all the arguments for why Rescue is a bad idea or a good idea. Let's just agree to disagree, and wait for any *real* confirmation one way or another about it later on.

I have. A few times I believe. It's basically the same point you keep bringing up. I've given a few replies to that one. Go through my posts in this thread again and if there is anything you're not to clear on I may elaborate. Like Cherokeesam says, this argument has been exhausted.

I like Pepper. And I think Ms. Paltrow is one of the very very few legit female movie stars we have today. She's made these movies - including TA - better imo. And she and RDJ - another old school movie star - have great chemistry. I have my doubts about using Rescue as a subplot, but I think she can pull off whatever Shane Black and the writers throw at her. She's a pro.

Yes, yes it was addressed. Many times over the last few pages.

At this point, the whole Rescue argument has come down to "is not! is too! is not! is too!" back and forth. Nobody's making any headway here, and we've pretty much exhausted all the arguments for why Rescue is a bad idea or a good idea. Let's just agree to disagree, and wait for any *real* confirmation one way or another about it later on.

LEGO might have our first real confirmation about the Rescue armor argument.

There's a set out (I can't link it, it's on That Other Site That SHH Hates; look it up over there) that shows Pepper in the IM armor during the Malibu mansion helicopter assault.

Speculation here, so I won't spoiler tag, but it appears that Pepper puts on the suit to try to help Tony during the attack; Mandarin mistakenly believes that's Tony in the suit and tries to kill her; and that's actually Pepper in the suit that we see getting dragged down to the bottom of the ocean when the mansion collapses. As I said long ago: I don't think Pepper survives this film.

I would imagine she survives, but will be injured seriously.

I dunno I doubt she dies. Evidence seems to indicate she's alive throughout the movie. I think if anyone dies it will be Happy.

I dunno I doubt she dies. Evidence seems to indicate she's alive throughout the movie. I think if anyone dies it will be Happy.

Maybe.
All I'm sayin' is she gets a whole damn mansion dumped on her chest at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. Gonna be hard to survive that one.

That cannot be her at the bottom of the ocean. We see pepper going through the wreckage of the armory, and holding the broken helmet. I think the "rescue" outfit will come at the end.

Let me just correct that a bit, it might be her at the bottom of the ocean but she doesn't die there, as evidenced by her searching through the wreckage. I guess it could be her at the bottom of the ocean because we've heard that Tony can project his armor onto her. Can't remember who said that, but that was the speculation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"