Perhaps Rhaegar married Lyanna

Yes and on the flip side, HBO has made his intellectual property more popular than it would have ever been. It's a give-and-take thing and not one-sided. Both GRRM and HBO benefit from how things have turned out. If HBO wants it, Rhaegar and Robert's Rebellion will happen and they will put pressure on him. They continued with finishing the show even though the books haven't finished yet. That should tell you all you need to know.

That's a D&D decision. HBO has made it clear on quite a few occasions that they would have preferred the show go on for roughly 10 seasons, (which would have given them more time to actually work through all the published book material) but ceded to D&D's choice of only 8. And while GRRM expressed disappointment in himself for not getting TWOW out fast enough, he's said that he's not going to ask D&D to compromise their storytelling for his sake. The whole thing speaks more to the respect HBO and GRRM have for D&D than it does HBO's lack of respect for GRRM.

Likewise, there is the simple fact that HBO are going forward with 5 spinoffs and none of them are Robert's Rebellion and Dunk & Egg. It would be more immediately profitable for them, but they chose to go another way because they know it's not what GRRM wants. HBO know that it's far better for them in the long run to work with him than against him.

Exactly! Cast a male model if it's only 6 seconds. You can probably hire one for less than $5k for a day.

Exactly.

:woot: The casting director!

Exactly. But Osha actress Natalia Tena as Cersei, and Yara actress Gemma Whelan as Sansa.

NB: Natalia and Gemma aren't ugly, but they're not what Cersei and Sansa are described in the books.

QFT or they could just go another route and nor have Rhaegar in the show at all. The scene required no acting so they could hav gotten a male model and told him to buy his own wig; I'm sure he has access to better ones than that ugly thing on the show. I don't understand how Emilia's character has immaculate hair yet her beothers' hair looks like crap.

I'm probably the only person who doesn't want to see a RR series or book, I prefer something focused on the Targaryens either the Mad Kings story from the start or Rhaegar's story, maybe even Aegon and his siters.

Last edited:
Its not his job to buy a wig. Rhaegar is the creative decision of TPTB, not the random extra hired to act as a stand in

Pretty is as pretty does. The way Rhaegar treated his wife and the mother of his children, he clearly had a spitting gargoyle squatting between his ears. No actor or model could pretty him up for me.

I'd be disappointed if the show doesn't go in depth on something that on the surface, is ugly. Rhaegar abandoned a wife and two children to doom to elope with another woman and have a child by her......a child he once again named Aegon.

Jon wouldn't be proud of such a heritage and I also don't believe this show will end with people referring to him as Aegon. Whatever Jon's fate is, it won't be one where he has embraced his Targaryen heritage.

QFT or they could just go another route and nor have Rhaegar in the show at all. The scene required no acting so they could hav gotten a male model and told him to buy his own wig; I'm sure he has access to better ones than that ugly thing on the show. I don't understand how Emilia's character has immaculate hair yet her beothers' hair looks like crap.

I'm probably the only person who doesn't want to see a RR series or book, I prefer something focused on the Targaryens either the Mad Kings story from the start or Rhaegar's story, maybe even Aegon and his siters.
Agreed, better off with no Rhaegar. Plenty of models with long blonde hair for hire, seriously.

I'd be disappointed if the show doesn't go in depth on something that on the surface, is ugly. Rhaegar abandoned a wife and two children to doom to elope with another woman and have a child by her......a child he once again named Aegon.

Jon wouldn't be proud of such a heritage and I also don't believe this show will end with people referring to him as Aegon. Whatever Jon's fate is, it won't be one where he has embraced his Targaryen heritage.
I haven't read the books, but maybe Rhaegar/Elia's arranged marriage was loveless just like Robert/Cersei's and that Elia agreed to the annulment?

Oberyn in the show stated that his sister loved Rhaegar so as far as we know, it was only loveless on one side.

I feel sorry for Rhaegar for having a marriage forced upon him, but it's hard to describe his actions as honourable. He left Elia and his children as a captive of his father and at the mercy of a violent sacking while sending Kingsguard to protect his new wife and child.

There's a reason Oberyn is so bitter and that's without even having the full picture.

That's a D&D decision. HBO has made it clear on quite a few occasions that they would have preferred the show go on for roughly 10 seasons, (which would have given them more time to actually work through all the published book material) but ceded to D&D's choice of only 8. And while GRRM expressed disappointment in himself for not getting TWOW out fast enough, he's said that he's not going to ask D&D to compromise their storytelling for his sake. The whole thing speaks more to the respect HBO and GRRM have for D&D than it does HBO's lack of respect for GRRM.

Likewise, there is the simple fact that HBO are going forward with 5 spinoffs and none of them are Robert's Rebellion and Dunk & Egg. It would be more immediately profitable for them, but they chose to go another way because they know it's not what GRRM wants. HBO know that it's far better for them in the long run to work with him than against him.

Obviously HBO and D&D have respect for GRRM. The opposite wouldn't make sense. I don't really blame D&D for having shorter seasons - it must be rough to keep the show going along for longer and I'd rather have a show end quicker than drop in quality as each season goes on.

Also, Robert's Rebellion could still happen later on, though. We'll see.

I thought Dunk & Egg WAS one of the 5 planned spin-offs. Is there a link with the full list?

Oberyn in the show stated that his sister loved Rhaegar so as far as we know, it was only loveless on one side.

I feel sorry for Rhaegar for having a marriage forced upon him, but it's hard to describe his actions as honourable. He left Elia and his children as a captive of his father and at the mercy of a violent sacking while sending Kingsguard to protect his new wife and child.

There's a reason Oberyn is so bitter and that's without even having the full picture.
Elia did love Rhaegar enough to set him free perhaps. Also maybe Rhaegar and Lyanna didn't expect to instigate a war when they ran away together.

thats alot in order to paint Rhaegar as some noble stand up guy which is unnecessary considering he is dead and doesnt need to be "redeemed". People in this universe are flawed, do questionable things and thats okay. Rhaegar and Lyanna doesnt need to be built up as this great big love story free of messiness

Just give me a spinoff of Aegon banging his two hot sisters. They all three rode on dragons.

Can't wait to see Jon's (and Dany's) reaction to hearing his true parentage. The wait for s8 is :whatever:/:cmad:/:loco:.

I imagine Dany will shrug it off because incest is a normal practice in her family but Jon will be bothered. But of course, they'll have a child together because it was foreshadowed so damn much this past season they'll stick together for that.

Jon being named "Aegon" makes me hate Rhaegar even more though. It's bad enough he humiliates his wife in front of everyone, then runs off with a teenaged girl. But he gives his new son the same name as the son he already has because he's prophecy hungry? Rhaegar is a dick.

I imagine Dany will shrug it off because incest is a normal practice in her family but Jon will be bothered. But of course, they'll have a child together because it was foreshadowed so damn much this past season they'll stick together for that.

Jon being named "Aegon" makes me hate Rhaegar even more though. It's bad enough he humiliates his wife in front of everyone, then runs off with a teenaged girl. But he gives his new son the same name as the son he already has because he's prophecy hungry? Rhaegar is a dick.

I'm fairly certain he was expecting a girl that he could name Visenya, hence why he named his first two Aegon and Rhaenys. He wasn't there when Jon was born. So I'd put the blame on Lyanna.

I'm fairly certain he was expecting a girl that he could name Visenya, hence why he named his first two Aegon and Rhaenys. He wasn't there when Jon was born. So I'd put the blame on Lyanna.

I can't see Lyanna picking the same name as his other son, that one screams Rhaegar to me. He was the prophecy obsessed one.

We know nothing about Lyanna aside from her age and "she's a bit like Arya" so there's nothing to suggest she wouldn't have done that...she did run off with a married man after all. I just don't get how Rhaegar could have known it would be a boy. The prophecy obsession led to him wanting three children because the dragon has three heads and from the way he named his first two children it seems like he expected his third to be a girl. Unless he was planning to get three children from Lyanna and start from scratch....which is ridiculous.

Although I put the blame on him for de-legitimizing his children.

Last edited:
thats alot in order to paint Rhaegar as some noble stand up guy which is unnecessary considering he is dead and doesnt need to be "redeemed". People in this universe are flawed, do questionable things and thats okay. Rhaegar and Lyanna doesnt need to be built up as this great big love story free of messiness

Hmm, but when someone is dead and can no longer defend himself is precisely when he needs more not to be painted badly.

We know nothing about Lyanna aside from her age and "she's a bit like Arya" so there's nothing to suggest she wouldn't have done that...she did run off with a married man after all. I just don't get how Rhaegar could have known it would be a boy. The prophecy obsession led to him wanting three children because the dragon has three heads and from the way he named his first two children it seems like he expected his third to be a girl. Unless he was planning to get three children from Lyanna and start from scratch....which is ridiculous.

Although I put the blame on him for de-legitimizing his children.

We know that she was so awesome that the two most eligible princes of Westeros started a war over her. So there's that.

Kit's recent comments saying he wants to do a scene where Jon is totes fine with banging his aunt that next season will be hilarious

I can't see Lyanna picking the same name as his other son, that one screams Rhaegar to me. He was the prophecy obsessed one.

The Tower of Joy battled happened weeks after the Sack of Kings Landing. Cuz remember Ned traveled to Storms End to lift the Tyrell siege first. Odds are Lyanna knew that Elia and Co were dead. My guess is she named him to honor his brother.

But again no one really knows (save for George (and thats debatable) and D&D) what and why things down.

In the books he might not even be Aegon for all we know.

I personally think Rhaegar and Lyanna got married but something must have happened meanwhile. Maybe at the beginning Lyanna didn’t say anything about the father of Jon and actually told Ned before dying. So sad, Ned didn’t get the opportunity to tell Jon about the truth. Can’t wait to know what’s going to happen next.

DIlt_YSUQAA1mqH.jpg

Recap.

Can't wait to see Jon's (and Dany's) reaction to hearing his true parentage. The wait for s8 is :whatever:/:cmad:/:loco:.
I'm more curious about Sansa's reaction. She is a curious case in the show. We do know she treated Jon with disdain when they were children, and she still doesn't think highly of him when she is quick to point out she won back Winterfel, not him, and she can have this sense of superiority sometimes, she's shown it a bit with Arya. I just don't know if she will be happy to learn that Jon is the real king of the lands, or will she be jealous of the thought? Now I just know Arya will be overjoyed, and I can see her being beyond ecstatic when Daenerys comes to Winterfel with the dragons. But Sansa's take will be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"