Period piece or present day?

Discussion in 'Fantastic Four' started by Silvermoth, Feb 26, 2021.

?

Setting?

1. Swinging 60s baby!

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. No time like the present

15 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. The not too distant future...

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. The future but with a 1960s raypunk feel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

i think it can make sense from a narrative point. As to your question, i do not have the answer, that is Feige's problem should he choose that avenue. Watchmen did that pretty well and so did First Class. It could be done with F4 as well, hopefully not in an annyoing sterotypical way (hippies).

2. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

right. The X-Men are the more covert ops team.

Fluedd likes this.
  3. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

i totally agree with your first paragraph lol

Spider-Man Homecoming didnt even have an origin story. AT ALL. So they could go that route and it could work. However if they do their origin in say, Ant-Man Quantummania, I personally wouldnt mind. since they are all connected. Or even in Secret Wars.

Fluedd likes this.
  4. Silvermoth Krakoan native

I added a new option to the poll since I thought it might be fun to have a futuristic FF movie but with a 1960s atompunk style like this.

[​IMG]

so not a period piece but still 1960s inspired

Stark Bauer and Fluedd like this.
  5. Fluedd Registered

I definitely don't want the FF set in the future, but I do like that cover.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  6. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

what if their from the future but travel back in time to current events... an we can see scene's from the future they come from in flash-forwards

Stark Bauer likes this.
  7. Fluedd Registered

Terrible.

8. Crimz Registered

Similar problems to the 60s idea. It also adds the whole "needing to change the future" plot that takes away from actual FF plots.

It's just all unnecessary when the Fantastic Four are among the easiest of the properties previously owned by Fox to add to the MCU. You just introduce them, it's as simple as that.

#133 Crimz, Jan 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    metaphysician and Stark Bauer like this.
  9. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

I think they should be what Stan and Jack made them in 1961 - contemporary characters who were on the cutting edge in terms of science and technology.

While there might be fun, interesting possibilities to explore, anything that takes them different from the above makes them something other than the Fantastic Four.

10. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

youre a bloody genius atom punk all the way . see bottom right only

[​IMG]

#135 Stark Bauer, Jan 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    Silvermoth and Spider-Fan83 like this.
  11. Fluedd Registered

I don't know, I kinda like that Jetsons dress.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  12. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

is it that "simple" tho? I feel like that's a over simplification... it'll take them time to develop into the team their meant to be

I get people might be thinking everyone already knows their origin from the Fox movies
    (that like the Spider-man movies they can just skip the origin)

but, you want to differentiate them, from that version
    an with Spider-man, character development/learning his powers and how to work on his own, was an over arcing story-line through many movies...

do we want to see another montage of them learning their ability's and learning to work as a team to take up the majority of the screen time... vs just having them already being a team from the start

even if you introduce them in another movie first (again like we got with spider-man) to think that they'd develop into their powers an as a team that fast in-between movies seems like a stretch

Stark Bauer likes this.
  13. Crimz Registered

I don't want them to skip over them growing into a team. It's an important part of the journey and skipping over that means you make it even harder for the audience to connect with them. What they should skip over is the accident and directly after that. That was the mistake of past films, taking that brief origin and stretching it to over an hour.
    The crash can be told in under 10 minutes or in another film. That's the beauty of the MCU, their origin can be set-up elsewhere and their film can get straight into the good stuff.

In the comics it took quite a long time for them to become a cohesive team and we shouldn't start the MCU team at the end of that character growth. I'd say just have it take place a few months after the crash, that way they're relatively still new to all this but past all the origin tropes.

Having them come from the past or future as a fully formed team is a mistake. The audience should watch the team grow and develop, not miss most of it.

Stark Bauer likes this.
  14. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

this all the way

15. Fluedd Registered

Maybe they could be seen as a fully formed team in Ant-Man, putting on a jaw dropping display of teamwork and creative use of their powers. Then, they could have their own movie set in the past, where they could grow and develop. After that, they'd be up to speed.

16. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

i would rather see them develop first not at level 100 boss mode at first sight. imagine seeing tony stark with his first iron man suit being the one from Endgame instead of the Mark 1 he made in the cave with spare parts

17. Stark Bauer Mr. Feige- cast me as MCU Darkhawk

From Reddit:

-Also we have confirmation now that the F4 family went missing in the 60’s in the main universe AKA earth-199999. Hate the fact they designate it earth-616.

-As Mordo was introducing Reed, Strange asked “didn’t you guys charred in the 60’s?

18. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

Maybe it was a hint for the upcoming FFilm.

19. Fluedd Registered

I don't like the MCU being designated as 616 either, that's the Marvel comics universe. And it's clear that it is very different from the cinematic version.

GREEN =w= DAY likes this.
  20. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

thought that was a joke suggesting that their name sounded like a 60's band

Spider-Fan likes this.
  21. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I read it the same way. Especially since Strange is a huge music buff

22. Fluedd Registered

Oh, that's possible. There actually was a musical group in the mid sixties called the Fantastic Four. Or it could be a reference to the "Fab Four". In either case, the comics FF predates them (the Beatles didn't get a record contract until '62).

23. Silvermoth Krakoan native

very excited by that Easter egg! I think it works. Feige said Shuri is the smartest person in the mcu but let’s be honest, I think they’ll try to phase her out. Saying Reed is now the smartest because he and his fam got ported over from the 60s works.

now let’s think of some cool 60s pop culture moments they can reference

24. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

Well as if they are going to include the Marvel Comics reality in the Multiverse of Madness of these movies. Thats just not going to happen.

25. Crimz Registered

It was confirmed by the writer to be just a joke about the Beatles that Cumberbatch improvised