Perversion of Liberty

That is perverted alright.

"I personally feel that the answer for the poor is Jesus Christ."

Yes well, praying doesnt make meny grow on trees, you idiot.
 
Attention ****es with bibles. Great. :rolleyes:

jag
 
That is a perversion of Liberty.
The U.S. Government should never acknowledge it as a religion, only as a cult.
There for it will not recieve funding for the state.
 
Personally, I think it's a bit silly, but I wish someone would tell me why freedom of expression should only apply to those whose expressions we agree with? :confused:
 
Daisy said:
Personally, I think it's a bit silly, but I wish someone would tell me why freedom of expression should only apply to those whose expressions we agree with? :confused:

Oh, I don't dispute their right to free speech and to even pull stupid stunts like this. Hell, I'll fight for their right to do so. They're still attention ****es, though.

jag
 
Jesus Christ ....
 
SpeedballLives said:
That is a perversion of Liberty.
The U.S. Government should never acknowledge it as a religion, only as a cult.
There for it will not recieve funding for the state.

It didn't receive public money. It was fully funded by the church that built it... on their own property.

It's not 'acknowledged' by the government in any way.
 
Daisy said:
Personally, I think it's a bit silly, but I wish someone would tell me why freedom of expression should only apply to those whose expressions we agree with? :confused:
Freedom of speech is fine, but attempting to convert others and influence their spritual beliefs by abusing the system itself is ridiculous.
 
untitled-2.jpg


Stylin'
 
jaguarr said:
Oh, I don't dispute their right to free speech and to even pull stupid stunts like this. Hell, I'll fight for their right to do so. They're still attention ****es, though.

jag

No more than Andres Serrano, IMO. *shrug*
 
Daisy said:
Personally, I think it's a bit silly, but I wish someone would tell me why freedom of expression should only apply to those whose expressions we agree with? :confused:
I don't think anyone here is saying that. You should ask C.Lee though, he's an authority on the subject.
 
They are saying that the only way that a nation will be free is through Christ.
I'm Catholic, but I don't view all other religions as wrong.
Islam states can be free, it's only those in charge that are taking the Qur'an and perverting it.
The Qur'an is the bible, but with so much more in it. It teaches the same things(tolerance, peace).
Now these people have taken the Bible and perverted it as well.
 
Daisy said:
Personally, I think it's a bit silly, but I wish someone would tell me why freedom of expression should only apply to those whose expressions we agree with? :confused:

Oh okay, then i want to put up a statue of christ with a five foot long erected penis, would that be okay too?
 
Sofa said:
Freedom of speech is fine, but attempting to convert others and influence their spritual beliefs by abusing the system itself is ridiculous.

They're not abusing the system. They paid for it themselves... it's on their land. And they have every right to attempt to convert others and influence their beliefs (provided it's not by coersion or under duress). Our whole system is built on that premise. Have you never seen a political ad, for example?
 
Emrys said:
Oh okay, then i want to put up a statue of christ with a five foot long erected penis, would that be okay too?

You might have to put it indoors as it might violate public indecency laws, but other than that... sure.
 
Daisy said:
No more than Andres Serrano, IMO. *shrug*

I don't disagree. But Serrano is a controversial artist who's goal is to unsettle people with his imagery, and he's never been shy about the fact that his intention is to rattle people and make money off of doing so. At least he isn't hiding behind religion as a justification for it. I can guarantee that the underlying motive of this stunt by this church is monetary in nature; the more members they can attract the more tithings they receive on a monthly basis, so their net income goes up. It's all about the Benjamins.

jag
 
Wilhelm-Scream said:
I don't think anyone here is saying that. You should ask C.Lee though, he's an authority on the subject.

I think some people are...that some believe they shouldn't have the right to put such a thing up, or to use the image of the statue of liberty in such a manner.
 
Daisy said:
They're not abusing the system. They paid for it themselves... it's on their land. And they have every right to attempt to convert others and influence their beliefs (provided it's not by coersion or under duress). Our whole system is built on that premise. Have you never seen a political ad, for example?
Religion changes these kinds of situations, because religions are not "mind-sets" or "plan of action". They are beliefs through the form of groups or cults.

Imposing yourself on another is abusing the system based on freedom of speech. The system does not imply that physical imposition is allowed, but this statue does just that. It is a physical message, not a verbal one.
 
This reminds me of that commerical during the Winter with the Statue of Liberty sitting down, wrapping her arms around her legs, freezing and them asking for coats for people. Is that too considered a perversion?
 
I wish I could put the Statue of Liberty in a hula skirt on the dashboard of my car so it looks like it's dancing.
 
jaguarr said:
I don't disagree. But Serrano is a controversial artist who's goal is to unsettle people with his imagery, and he's never been shy about the fact that his intention is to rattle people and make money off of doing so. At least he isn't hiding behind religion as a justification for it. I can guarantee that the underlying motive of this stunt by this church is monetary in nature; the more members they can attract the more tithings they receive on a monthly basis, so their net income goes up. It's all about the Benjamins.

jag


I disagree. While I won't argue that there isn't a side-benefit in bringing in funds (some will send donations because they support thie ideas of this church, but I don't know how much membership increase will really occur), I think there is sincere belief in the ideas they're expressing. I don't think it's a 'stunt' to get money... attention to their 'cause', or 'beliefs' - yes, but I think the money is secondary.
 
Erzengel said:
I wish I could put the Statue of Liberty in a hula skirt on the dashboard of my car so it looks like it's dancing.

'Gasp!' that would be disgusting :eek:
 
They declare that Christianity is the official type of religion of the U.S.
Whatever happened to the first of amendment, and the FREEDOM OF RELIGION!
The U.S. will never have an official religion because it will violate this amendment.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
200,771
Messages
21,808,655
Members
45,627
Latest member
WolverineHunt01
Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"