pet shop boys to change name to rescuse shelter boys, or so peta wants

the_ultimate_evil

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.
Reaction score
Peta to Pet Shop Boys: change your name

In what could be the strangest request in pop history, animal rights group Peta has asked the Pet Shop Boys to consider changing their name to the Rescue Shelter Boys.

The organisation, whose full name is People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, said the change would encourage people to give homes to unwanted cats and dogs from shelters rather than buying especially-bred animals from pet shops.

Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe, who named themselves the Pet Shop Boys more than 20 years ago, declined the request but delighted Peta by posting the organisation’s concerns on their website.

The group, who found fame in the Eighties with West End Girls and It’s A Sin, reproduced Peta’s written request in full, noting that the issues raised were “worth thinking about”.

The organisation’s special project’s manager Yvonne Taylor wrote: “We have a request that might at first seem bizarre, but we hope that after considering the following facts you will understand why we are asking this of you: will you please consider changing your name from the Pet Shop Boys to the Rescue Shelter Boys.

Taylor goes on to allege that breeders who supply pet shops are “profit hungry” and keep animals in “cramped, filthy conditions”

The letter closes: “By agreeing to change your name to the Rescue Shelter Boys, you would help raise awareness about the cruelty involved in the pet trade and encourage your millions of fans to consider giving a home to an abandoned or unwanted animal from an animal shelter. So what do you say?”

While their request was turned down, Peta remain fans of the Pet Shop Boys. On its own website today, the organisation said it was pleased the band had drawn attention to their cause and would be putting West End Girls on their iPods to celebrate.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article6068361.ece

seriously wtf, and they wonder why peta is mocked

I promised I won't go on anymore rants about PETA, so I'll simply have Mr. Stewart speak for me.

:facepalm

Even though as a guy I like their ad campaign, I'm finding PETA to be run by a pack of looneys who just wanted to draw attention to themselves, and not to their causes.

The letter closes: “By agreeing to change your name to the Rescue Shelter Boys, you would help raise awareness about the cruelty involved in the pet trade and encourage your millions of fans to consider giving a home to an abandoned or unwanted animal from an animal shelter. So what do you say?”

I was going to adopt a pet from an animal shelter if they changed their name, but since they didn't I think the only other choice I have is to kick a puppy. Damn you Pet Shop Boys for making me do this! Why couldn't you just change your name!

The Pet Shop Boys are still relevant? :confused:

PETA, in general. :facepalm

PETA sucks. Their leader is insane.

Mr. Stewart speaks for 99% of us when it comes to PETA.

I know, and it sucks that PETA is the most well-known of the animal rights groups. Animal rights is one of the few causes I'm actually passionate about, but PETA wants too much, too soon (and some of their demands are outright ridiculous).

I know, and it sucks that PETA is the most well-known of the animal rights groups. Animal rights is one of the few causes I'm actually passionate about, but PETA wants too much, too soon (and some of their demands are outright ridiculous).

I agree that they should be treated fairly and for those of us who like to eat them, killed in the most humane way as possible (as oxymoronic as that sounds). I hate to see animal abuse, but like any other predator at the top of the food chain, I enjoy eating them so....

Aw Peta, they do more harm then good IMO. I should send them some burgers :hehe:

Now I want a Gyro...
God, they could a picked a better name than PETA, everytime I think about it I envision a pita packed with roasted lamb, onions and that delicious sauce...

...and here I was thinking they thought it was pep boys they were talking about...feel really stupid now. HAhA

didn't they ask Artic Monkeys to change their name too? oh boy.. :whatever:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"