Dark Phoenix Petition to release the original version of Dark Phoenix

Kinberg by his own admission has said he didn't think his original cut with the third act in outer space worked as well as the 'grounded' version set on earth that was seen in the final film. Fox never mandated that Kinberg alter his vision, Kinberg made the decision by his own volition. So not even Kinberg himself would ever support this peitition.The film is done, and the damage is done with it so why rub salt to fresh wounds by pushing support of a cut of the film that even the film's director doesn't want you to see?

Just realized this alternate cut is more likely than any other
given the various home editions of X-Men flicks.

Kinberg by his own admission has said he didn't think his original cut with the third act in outer space worked as well as the 'grounded' version set on earth that was seen in the final film. Fox never mandated that Kinberg alter his vision, Kinberg made the decision by his own volition. So not even Kinberg himself would ever support this peitition.The film is done, and the damage is done with it so why rub salt to fresh wounds by pushing support of a cut of the film that even the film's director doesn't want you to see?

There was no third act in outer space. It was at the UN.

A different third act isn’t going to fix how bad the first two acts were.

Reports have come out that the third act was indeed set in space and was changed to avoid comparisons to Captain Marvel,

Much like Jean, Dark Phoenix has gone through its own dramatic evolution. While the film originally wrapped production in October 2017, the filmmakers decided to revamp the look of Phoenix in post (more “cosmic” and less “flamy,” according to the director) and shoot a new third act (instead of taking place in space, the climax finds all the X-Men kidnapped and on board a military train). Kinberg admits that his ambitious vision for Phoenix — a mix of poignant family drama and superhero spectacular — made for a complicated first stab at directing. “I think the biggest challenge is modulating the film so that we have the big scale and visual-effects action that these movies require, but balancing that in a way that feels calibrated with the drama,” he says. “You have these big space sequences and trains flying through the air and people firing lightning bolts, but you also have a lot of emotional, four-page dramatic dialogue scenes.”

'Dark Phoenix' will bring the X-Men saga to an epic close

At one time, at the conception stage, maybe there was a third act that took place in space... way back when it was being planned as a 2-parter and well before they actually started filming. Who knows?

But it is known that there was no third act with even a big sequence taking place in space. The majority of the original third act took place at the UN meeting with a short sequence in space at the end featuring Jean sacrificing herself to destroy a fleet of alien ships... pretty much like she did to kill Chastain in the reshot act. It was no more cosmic than what we got.

The original act didn’t resonate with test audiences so they shot an entirely new one. They didn’t have the means to recreate the UN set so they scaled it down to something smaller and more intimate. That’s all there is to it.

I don’t see a lot of people having problems with the first act. The second act is really choppy, they did cut out more than just the third act, you can tell by rewatching the trailers.

It absolutely never did, and the reshoots were done before Captain Marvel was released. Thankfully Deadline and THR debunked that lie.

Kinberg himself also debunked this.

It absolutely never did, and the reshoots were done before Captain Marvel was released. Thankfully Deadline and THR debunked that lie.

At one time, at the conception stage, maybe there was a third act that took place in space... way back when it was being planned as a 2-parter and well before they actually started filming. Who knows?

But it is known that there was no third act with even a big sequence taking place in space. The majority of the original third act took place at the UN meeting with a short sequence in space at the end featuring Jean sacrificing herself to destroy a fleet of alien ships... pretty much like she did to kill Chastain in the reshot act. It was no more cosmic than what we got.
Well that explains it but regardless I still don't care to see the Kinberg cut of Dark Phoenix any more than I care to see the Trank Cut of Fan4stic.

They do. Just like people are aware of the existence of microscopic bacteria inside and outside our bodies. They don't care.

According to the Hollywood Reporter there was less awareness for this movie than Rocketman.

At the time, preparations for the Disney-Fox acquisition were in full swing. Marketing and publicity and distribution execs were either being forced out or had one eye on the door. "The campaign was muddled," says a former Fox executive. "Was this the final X-Men movie? Was it about a character going back? This movie just got lost."

An NRG tracking poll taken in May showed that Avengers: Endgame, Marvel Studios' rival superhero franchise, was rated higher than Dark Phoenix as a choice for moviegoers — and that's after Endgame had been playing in theaters for five weeks already. "Definite awareness never got a score over 75 on tracking," says one insider. "An X-Men movie had never been below 90."

"When definite awareness of Rocketman is higher than an X-Men movie, you know you're in strange territory," says another insider.

"We Were Wrong": Behind Fox's 'Dark Phoenix' Debacle

If it weren’t for Disney’s last minute marketing push(which happened less than a month away from release) this movie would have done a lot worse. Variety even reported its marketing difficulties months ago when the second trailer dropped.

The situation has had longtime employees on the Fox lot suffering a kind of prolonged trauma since the merger was announced, in December 2017. To hear them tell it, they are being issued mostly vague, Orwellian-lite guidance that outlines dress codes and explains key-card access, but they have been left wanting in terms of business directives. In the middle of February, Fox’s marketing and distribution departments gathered with the filmmakers of Dark Phoenix, the latest X-Men installment from producer-director Simon Kinberg, to lay out their plans for the film’s June release. It was a typical meeting. Ad buys were discussed, and the publicity tour for the film’s stars, including Sophie Turner, Jennifer Lawrence, and Jessica Chastain, was laid out. But it was still disconcerting, both because of all the new faces in the room—a handful of high-end consultants have been hired temporarily to fill the jobs recently vacated by long-term employees—and because of the ad hoc approach the Fox marketing team was taking toward the film’s release, four months away.

“We know when we are dropping a trailer, but we are nowhere near where we should be at this time,” said one marketing exec who was at the meeting. “It’s frightening. I would be mad if I were a filmmaker.”

“What’s not normal is the elephant in the room, which is that most people there are not going to be the people that are still in the job when the movie opens,” added another attendee.

“Nobody has come around and said, ‘This is what’s going on.’ Why can’t they just tell us that there is no place for us? Why can’t they let anyone know?” said the marketing exec. “We are not leaving because we didn’t make money for the company or we did a bad job. We are leaving because of pure capitalism.”

Inside Hollywood’s Disney-Fox Freakout

Deadline also reported how chaotic the marketing campaign was.

This leads us to the mishap of Fox marketing. With the Disney-Fox merger looming, we understand they’ve been a mess, distracted, with a revolving door of execs. We heard this around the time that Alita came out, that the filmmakers were dealing with different people in different marketing meetings.

I understand in meetings, some marketing execs didn’t even realize the release date changes on Dark Phoenix, and weren’t cognizant of the fact that the film was opening up against another franchise this weekend (i.e. Secret Life of Pets 2).

‘Dark Phoenix’ Bombs And Will Lose $100M+: Here’s Why – Deadline

Kinberg also mentioned it in this podcast.

The Business exclusive: Simon Kinberg on the dark fate of ‘Dark Phoenix’

Last edited:
I'd be up for seeing the original cut as an alternate version on the Blu-ray.

It was a huge mistake to do the Dark Phoenix saga again so soon after you've just introduced Jean. So it was inevitably going to end in failure. No cut of Kinberg's Dark Phoenix would've been good.

After watching the film for a second time, I don’t think this statement is valid anymore because...

the movie was about Jean NOT becoming Dark Phoenix again. Just like how Days of Future Past was about Raven NOT becoming Mystique. Both films basically have the same narrations at the beginning and end about evolving beyond a destined fate. The worse Jean does is accidentally kills someone and regrets that action. She never really crosses the line and goes on a dark path.

This is not the Greek tragedy that it was sold to be, that was all just misdirection. It’s a story about hope like Days of Future Past, which was right after JLaw’s Mystique was introduced.

Last edited:
so basically Kinberg repeated the same narrative arc just with a different woman.

and are some fans still wondering why the franchise is suffering at the boxoffice? :funny:
the anwers are all just in front of everyone else, "in your face" as some say

so basically Kinberg repeated the same narrative arc just with a different woman.

and are some fans still wondering why the franchise is suffering at the boxoffice? :funny:
the anwers are all just in front of everyone else, "in your face" as some say

You didn’t even noticed that until I pointed it out and you’re saying that’s the reason why it failed at the box office? :funny: What you are saying makes no sense.

Pretty everyone thought Jean would become Dark Phoenix. Even the trailers deceived people into thinking that.

Show me one person that called this DOFP 2.0 before its release.

Last edited:
After seeing this movie for the 5 time. I'm starting to think there's no fixing it because of the climax of the movie. After the train when Jean move them all to a new area she fights 6 aliens while the X-Men just stand there and watch. It felt kind of weak. It should have been 100 aliens and she showing some serious destructive powers there. But come on, she literally fights only 6 aliens and goes up with the last one to space and says "My emotions make me strong". It really felt weak because I didn't see any strength to begin with. They won't be able to fix this weak climax on digital release. The only thing they can do is to give more context to us with extended scene of dialogue between the characters. Like Magneto say "The dream is dead". I really hope to live long enough to see what Marvel will do with the X-Men but the "woke" movement makes me not want to watch movies of this Era anymore. The X-Women line had nothing to do with this movie.

There are some things that can't be fixed even with an Extended Edition.
1. The climax is weak with Jean only fighting literally 6 aliens and we don't get to see the Phoenix fire bird.
2. They never explain what the Phoenix force is. They don't even call it by Phoenix Force, they just call it "Power". Even the aliens who knew about the Phoenix only call by the name "Power". Is like Simon is afraid of embracing the comics. The one scene they use the word "Phoenix" is when Cyclops tell Jean that the kids are calling her Phoenix. That it. The name of the movie is Dark Phoenix and there's only one time in the entire movie when the word "Phoenix" is used.
3. Mystique again leading the X-Men. Should habe been Cyclops.

I give up.

No extended version is needed. There are just some things that can't be fixed.

After seeing this movie for the 5 time. I'm starting to think there's no fixing it because of the climax of the movie. After the train when Jean move them all to a new area she fights 6 aliens while the X-Men just stand there and watch. It felt kind of weak. It should have been 100 aliens and she showing some serious destructive powers there. But come on, she literally fights only 6 aliens and goes up with the last one to space and says "My emotions make me strong". It really felt weak because I didn't see any strength to begin with. They won't be able to fix this weak climax on digital release. The only thing they can do is to give more context to us with extended scene of dialogue between the characters. Like Magneto say "The dream is dead". I really hope to live long enough to see what Marvel will do with the X-Men but the "woke" movement makes me not want to watch movies of this Era anymore. The X-Women line had nothing to do with this movie.

There are some things that can't be fixed even with an Extended Edition.
1. The climax is weak with Jean only fighting literally 6 aliens and we don't get to see the Phoenix fire bird.
2. They never explain what the Phoenix force is. They don't even call it by Phoenix Force, they just call it "Power". Even the aliens who knew about the Phoenix only call by the name "Power". Is like Simon is afraid of embracing the comics. The one scene they use the word "Phoenix" is when Cyclops tell Jean that the kids are calling her Phoenix. That it. The name of the movie is Dark Phoenix and there's only one time in the entire movie when the word "Phoenix" is used.
3. Mystique again leading the X-Men. Should habe been Cyclops.

I give up.

No extended version is needed. There are just some things that can't be fixed.

Trying to fix Kinberg's movie is like trying to fix someone's face with plastic surgery that has already been botched far too much by previous surgery. It only makes it worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"