Petition to release the original version of Dark Phoenix

Discussion in 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' started by TheNewSlayer, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Detective Conan Registered

Kinberg by his own admission has said he didn't think his original cut with the third act in outer space worked as well as the 'grounded' version set on earth that was seen in the final film. Fox never mandated that Kinberg alter his vision, Kinberg made the decision by his own volition. So not even Kinberg himself would ever support this peitition.The film is done, and the damage is done with it so why rub salt to fresh wounds by pushing support of a cut of the film that even the film's director doesn't want you to see?

2. Hurm... Registered

Can't wait for this to work just as well as the petition for the Snyder cut!

shinlyle and Deck Rickard like this.
  3. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

Just realized this alternate cut is more likely than any other
    given the various home editions of X-Men flicks.

JimThompson likes this.
  4. TheVileOne Registered

5. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Since when has "you can't get even half of the critics to acknowledge the movie as even adequately functional" merely mediocre?

TheVileOne and shinlyle like this.
  6. JP Smelly

There was no third act in outer space. It was at the UN.

A different third act isn’t going to fix how bad the first two acts were.

7. Detective Conan Registered

Reports have come out that the third act was indeed set in space and was changed to avoid comparisons to Captain Marvel,

'Dark Phoenix' will bring the X-Men saga to an epic close

8. JP Smelly

It absolutely never did, and the reshoots were done before Captain Marvel was released. Thankfully Deadline and THR debunked that lie.

9. The Original Bamfer Big, Bald and Beautiful

At one time, at the conception stage, maybe there was a third act that took place in space... way back when it was being planned as a 2-parter and well before they actually started filming. Who knows?

But it is known that there was no third act with even a big sequence taking place in space. The majority of the original third act took place at the UN meeting with a short sequence in space at the end featuring Jean sacrificing herself to destroy a fleet of alien ships... pretty much like she did to kill Chastain in the reshot act. It was no more cosmic than what we got.

The original act didn’t resonate with test audiences so they shot an entirely new one. They didn’t have the means to recreate the UN set so they scaled it down to something smaller and more intimate. That’s all there is to it.

10. Hand Banana Registered

I don’t see a lot of people having problems with the first act. The second act is really choppy, they did cut out more than just the third act, you can tell by rewatching the trailers.

Kinberg himself also debunked this.

Assemble likes this.
  11. henzINNIT Registered

The petition has less than 700 signatures. Interest in this film is so bleak there is not even a base of faithful nerds for it.

Iceman, TheVileOne and psylockolussus like this.
  12. EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

It probably means it's true :p

TheVileOne and psylockolussus like this.
  13. Hand Banana Registered

Many people are not even aware of this movie’s existence.

Assemble likes this.
  14. Detective Conan Registered

Well that explains it but regardless I still don't care to see the Kinberg cut of Dark Phoenix any more than I care to see the Trank Cut of Fan4stic.

15. Detective Conan Registered

It was a huge mistake to do the Dark Phoenix saga again so soon after you've just introduced Jean. So it was inevitably going to end in failure. No cut of Kinberg's Dark Phoenix would've been good.

#115 Detective Conan, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  16. Blade Hoarder Registered

They do. Just like people are aware of the existence of microscopic bacteria inside and outside our bodies. They don't care.

Kahran Ramsus likes this.
  17. Hand Banana Registered

According to the Hollywood Reporter there was less awareness for this movie than Rocketman.

"We Were Wrong": Behind Fox's 'Dark Phoenix' Debacle

If it weren’t for Disney’s last minute marketing push(which happened less than a month away from release) this movie would have done a lot worse. Variety even reported its marketing difficulties months ago when the second trailer dropped.

Inside Hollywood’s Disney-Fox Freakout

Deadline also reported how chaotic the marketing campaign was.

‘Dark Phoenix’ Bombs And Will Lose $100M+: Here’s Why – Deadline

Kinberg also mentioned it in this podcast.

The Business exclusive: Simon Kinberg on the dark fate of ‘Dark Phoenix’

#117 Hand Banana, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Assemble likes this.
  18. Blade Hoarder Registered

Rocketman is not microbacteria.

Xeno likes this.
  19. X-Maniac High Evolutionary

I'd be up for seeing the original cut as an alternate version on the Blu-ray.

20. Hand Banana Registered

After watching the film for a second time, I don’t think this statement is valid anymore because...

the movie was about Jean NOT becoming Dark Phoenix again. Just like how Days of Future Past was about Raven NOT becoming Mystique. Both films basically have the same narrations at the beginning and end about evolving beyond a destined fate. The worse Jean does is accidentally kills someone and regrets that action. She never really crosses the line and goes on a dark path.

This is not the Greek tragedy that it was sold to be, that was all just misdirection. It’s a story about hope like Days of Future Past, which was right after JLaw’s Mystique was introduced.

#120 Hand Banana, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  21. SumT Registered

so basically Kinberg repeated the same narrative arc just with a different woman.

and are some fans still wondering why the franchise is suffering at the boxoffice? :funny:
    the anwers are all just in front of everyone else, "in your face" as some say

22. Hand Banana Registered

You didn’t even noticed that until I pointed it out and you’re saying that’s the reason why it failed at the box office? :funny: What you are saying makes no sense.

Pretty everyone thought Jean would become Dark Phoenix. Even the trailers deceived people into thinking that.

Show me one person that called this DOFP 2.0 before its release.

#122 Hand Banana, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  23. JimThompson Registered

Good. And I say that as someone who would likely be interested in seeing an uncut version of the film. Entitled, whiny fans wore out their welcome a while ago.

The Original Bamfer likes this.
  24. TheNewSlayer Registered

After seeing this movie for the 5 time. I'm starting to think there's no fixing it because of the climax of the movie. After the train when Jean move them all to a new area she fights 6 aliens while the X-Men just stand there and watch. It felt kind of weak. It should have been 100 aliens and she showing some serious destructive powers there. But come on, she literally fights only 6 aliens and goes up with the last one to space and says "My emotions make me strong". It really felt weak because I didn't see any strength to begin with. They won't be able to fix this weak climax on digital release. The only thing they can do is to give more context to us with extended scene of dialogue between the characters. Like Magneto say "The dream is dead". I really hope to live long enough to see what Marvel will do with the X-Men but the "woke" movement makes me not want to watch movies of this Era anymore. The X-Women line had nothing to do with this movie.

There are some things that can't be fixed even with an Extended Edition.
    1. The climax is weak with Jean only fighting literally 6 aliens and we don't get to see the Phoenix fire bird.
    2. They never explain what the Phoenix force is. They don't even call it by Phoenix Force, they just call it "Power". Even the aliens who knew about the Phoenix only call by the name "Power". Is like Simon is afraid of embracing the comics. The one scene they use the word "Phoenix" is when Cyclops tell Jean that the kids are calling her Phoenix. That it. The name of the movie is Dark Phoenix and there's only one time in the entire movie when the word "Phoenix" is used.
    3. Mystique again leading the X-Men. Should habe been Cyclops.

I give up.

No extended version is needed. There are just some things that can't be fixed.

25. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Trying to fix Kinberg's movie is like trying to fix someone's face with plastic surgery that has already been botched far too much by previous surgery. It only makes it worse.

shinlyle likes this.