• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

PG Rating: DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I mean. What makes people think that this is acceptable language. It is not, it never has been and never will be.

It will never be a good practice to use foul language, that is why it is called foul.

Just because everyone does it does not make it cool. It does not bother me really other than the fact that sometimes people who use these terms liberally think that its use is a sign of maturity or that everyone should be using those words.

How else to explain people thinking that films need to have foul language in them to be good.

If a film's source material requires it then that is one thing but why encourage foul language for the sake of foul language and to keep the kiddies out, wow.

The use of foul language has never been a good thing, and its absence is the last thing that we should be complainingabout.

There is obviously a ton of action in this movie. My main worry is that they may cut out stuff. I want more and more of the FF not less but to suggest that we should be concerned because it is rated PG.

Unbelievable

It's not the lack of "maturity" (ie foul language and the like) that bothers me, it's that the rating will allow for more immaturity. A PG movie that isn't kiddie fare involving talking animals, and the good movies with good story plots and action are even rarer.

Wait... is that different from the exlusive Silver content in the DVD itself? What else does that bonus disk contain? Might chose there have Best Buy.
not sure if it's diffrent but it has....
The fantastic car (a short about the making of the car)
Behind the scences video blogs..
1 Stan Lee (talking about stan being kicked out of the wedding)
2 day of destruction (shooting the scene of the surfer flying thru nyc and his wake of destruction)
3 reeds lab (all the new cool computer stuff in reeds lab)
Trailers
1 ff2
2 live free or die hard
3 the simpsons movie
I would pass on it thank god I got it free ha ha
but the trailer was cool in higher def then normal

It's not the lack of "maturity" (ie foul language and the like) that bothers me, it's that the rating will allow for more immaturity. A PG movie that isn't kiddie fare involving talking animals, and the good movies with good story plots and action are even rarer.

Weill maybe that's a problem that it's so rare. It's really a franchise that should be watched by younger kids too and allowing more parents to feel comfortable letting their kids watch it. You were a kid once. Alot of the PG-13 stuff today is not suitable for kids while this franchise should be.

right on brother from the clips I've seen it's looking like a bunch of sight gags and I'm getting a little tired of it. Sue's clothes burning off and she's nude in public again, Sue on fire "you think", reed sandwiched in a force field and flipped around, and on and on. PG makes for a fun brainless night out with the kids or at least in a fox/Tim story ff movie lol

not sure if it's diffrent but it has....
The fantastic car (a short about the making of the car)
Behind the scences video blogs..
1 Stan Lee (talking about stan being kicked out of the wedding)
2 day of destruction (shooting the scene of the surfer flying thru nyc and his wake of destruction)
3 reeds lab (all the new cool computer stuff in reeds lab)
Trailers
1 ff2
2 live free or die hard
3 the simpsons movie
I would pass on it thank god I got it free ha ha
but the trailer was cool in higher def then normal

Yeah, thanks for that because that disk was the only reason I was going to buy the DC version..........if thats all it is......I'll pass....

Weill maybe that's a problem that it's so rare. It's really a franchise that should be watched by younger kids too and allowing more parents to feel comfortable letting their kids watch it. You were a kid once. Alot of the PG-13 stuff today is not suitable for kids while this franchise should be.
"NO!" this is a franchise that should have been as epic as lord of the rings if done right but instead we get a 95 min pg movie. well maybe in another life when we're all cats.

Maybe it's 'cause I had more relaxed parents, but watching a bloody PG-13 movie shouldn't be THAT big a deal for parents, espicially the first one, which really didn't have anything too offensive in it.

I am buying the DC version just to get the Jack Kirby storyteller feature, now that should be good :-)

Maybe it's 'cause I had more relaxed parents, but watching a bloody PG-13 movie shouldn't be THAT big a deal for parents, espicially the first one, which really didn't have anything too offensive in it.

But the fact is it is to some and if making this film PG doesn't effect the quality it opens the doors open to more fans. That's a good thing. Perhaps it'll finally get the July 4th date for the next sequel from the success of this one. Really there is nothing in the first film that needed to be Pg-13 and if the hole in the chest made it Pg-13 it could have been re-edited and not changed my opinion on that film. Looking at all the footage so far this film looks like a blast for everyone to enjoy. i see nothing so far that makes me thinks they cut corners to get a rating but I'm sure some of you out there will be watching this movie the entire time thinking about the runtime and the rating and not truly relaxing and enjoying it.

If this was X-men, Blade, Punisher, or Ghost Rider...I'd be arguing the other side.

All these posts about a PG rating = immature are just so uninformed. What did you think the maturity level of films were BEFORE the rating system was even in existence? Look at any film from the 30's, 40's, 50's . There were mature themes about war, social issues and even a little risque stuff (for it's time) and a lot of them tackled the subject matter more eloquently then some current films. That the director was not permitted to use adult language or nudity or graphic violence did not effect the quality of the film. Sheesh, I am beginning to think some of you haven't seen a film made before 1995...

Check out some of the classics sometime and see

Exactly Iron Maiden. It doesn't matter about the rating system then. The fact is we as kids got to watch some real damn cool PG films whether PG-13 was in place or not. Now that fun is gone because PG-13 has some false sense of security for people over 18. I think studios have avoided the rating because of this with action films. National Treasure ignored that and it paid off. Adventure or action...same damn thing.

Just an off topic question concerning MPAA and MPAA evolution:

Can a PG movie still say fck?

I was surprised when watching old PG films that a couple used the word. Heck, 'Big' said it.

Now one time is PG-13?

------------------------------------

I do not want to see that word in a FF film- EVER. Just wondering how a PG movie got away with that... since some of you guys seem to have more of an understanding about the MPAA board.

I think you can insinuate the word F but can't say it. You know like "mouthing" the word where it's obvious but not saying it. Or starting to say it and then getting cut off. It can be used in PG-13 films for sure but I even think there it's limited. I don't think that word would enhance a Fantastic Four movie. LOL I think it also depends on how it's used. Like On Golden Pond it was probably used and wouldn't be cut out even on network tv because of the film itself. Weird huh?

I was surprised when watching old PG films that a couple used the word. Heck, 'Big' said it.

Now one time is PG-13?

I do not want to see that word in a FF film- EVER. Just wondering how a PG movie got away with that... since some of you guys seem to have more of an understanding about the MPAA board.

*sighs* Is that really important to know??????

MPAA Ratings

Read about it....

Thanks for the answer, AD... yes, off topic- but, I've been wondering about that since the first time I saw 'Big'. Because having the word in a PG film really threw me off. I mean, you don't see a PG film and expect for that word to show up, especially now since said once that's an immediate PG-13- or at least, I think so. And as I said, don't want to see that word ever in a FF film, just curious about the MPAA.

Now one time is PG-13?

Probably because there wasn't a PG-13 at the time. The first PG-13 movie, if I remember correctly, was Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and I think that was around the late 80s or early 90s.

In the immortal words of Gerard Butler...

Madness

Probably because there wasn't a PG-13 at the time. The first PG-13 movie, if I remember correctly, was Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and I think that was around the late 80s or early 90s.

I think Red Dawn was first PG-13 movie which was brutal. Love that flick.

Edit: Yep it was Red Dawn:

Red Dawn

Historically important for being the very first PG-13 movie ever released, and for temporarily holding the record for being the most violent film ever made (smart move, Valenti), Red Dawn is a movie I really used to love. That was before I learned about things like politics, geography, and logic.

Aside from the non-stop combat violence and periodically silly dialogue, Red Dawn is also notable for its cast. Sift through the silliness and you'll notice folks like Patrick Swayze, C. Thomas Howell, Lea Thompson, Charlie Sheen, Jennifer Grey, Ben Johnson, Powers Boothe, and Frank McRae as "ill-fated school teacher."

The plot is so simple it's stupid: Russian and Cuban forces have invaded the American midwest, so a bunch of scared high school students hightail it into the mountains, only to emerge as the vengeance-seeking commando unit known as Wolverines!

Coming off contributions to Apocalypse Now, 1941, and Conan the Barbarian, action-lovin' filmmaker John Milius came up with a "what if...?" war flick scenario that, while certainly not the most realistic concept ever gleaned, was certainly well-received by those who don't mind a little extra dose of ridiculousness mixed in with their rat-a-tat machine gun explosions.

Overlong and underwritten, Red Dawn is most definitely a relic of the cold war, and it's a dated and periodically doofy piece of pro-American jingoism ... but, still ... I'd be lying if I said the movie didn't still work, if only in a guilty pleasure / silly escapism sort of way.

Plus, c'mon: The Dirty Dozen meets The Breakfast Club? That's just awesome.

Highguard...

If regarding the question, not really, since it does show the progression from PG to PG-13.

If in regarding saying the word in a PG film, I agree. :up: As I said, it really surprised me when I heard it.

...... nothing so far that makes me thinks they cut corners to get a rating but I'm sure some of you out there will be watching this movie the entire time thinking about the runtime and the rating and not truly relaxing and enjoying it.

If this was X-men, Blade, Punisher, or Ghost Rider...I'd be arguing the other side.

Please do not mention the Run Time :cmad: again until the night of June 15th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"