• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PG Rating: DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rocky was most certainly NOT rated R.

And Rocky Balboa did just fine at the box ofice; what makes you think otherwise?

I think PG is the right rating for an FF film.

The "hole blown through the chest" scene marred the first film; it was gratuitous and out of place.
I also disliked Ben's "Give me the godd*mn mirror!" line. That was out of character for Ben Grimm, period.

PG is fine by me. :up:

Yeah, it was not needed and it looked altered.

The Ben line was not out of place. I mean, Johnny made him sound permanantly scarred.

Rocky was PG, that is true. May have been PG-13 today, though.

Like I said, all this means is no cursing and little blood. With the Power Cosmic, none of these are necessary, and the Surfer hadrly ever gets into fist fights, so energy blasts help keep the rating down, also.

PG is fine.

*sigh*

I dunno guys. Jessica Alba has been saying this film would be darker and more for adults in interviews for months...and now this news? I'm not going to say this is "bad" per se just yet. But I will say this:

With the running time and this rating combined, I don't believe we are going to get the kind of film the marketing and trailers have been suggesting. It is going to be light (lite) fare, and whatever dark elements Dr. Doom might have brought has certainly been chopped. The fact that we haven't seen much of him is starting to make sense now: there probably is not very much to show.

True, Doom will most likely be limited. I have been thinking this for a while.

However, I have seen some pretty adult and dark PG movies. Plus, no matter how adult they make it, kids are the core target audience. This rating doesn't affect the films substance as much as it hinders the action a tad, which like I said about what Surfer comics are like, isn't that big of a deal.

Now the runtime could potentially effect the film's quality, but we shall see.

well from an artist point of view and a lover of the 60's comic it's not, and to prove it's not they've actualy made it larger in this flix because of fan reaction to the first film. Now if they had only had the balls and smarts to figure out a way to light it better "CGI" it would have been perfect. I love it when a photo guy whines "trash it I can't film it" ha ha I say figure out a way to do it!
Try it some time. You're on a limited time schedual, you have limited funds and you're going to spend a huge chunk of your time making sure that a character who doesn't get to do a lot is well lit because a few rabid fans wanted his brow to be bigger? Don't think so.

>^^<

I've been wondering why they were taking so long to rate this thing and it comes out in like 12 days.

True, Doom will most likely be limited. I have been thinking this for a while.

However, I have seen some pretty adult and dark PG movies. Plus, no matter how adult they make it, kids are the core target audience. This rating doesn't affect the films substance as much as it hinders the action a tad, which like I said about what Surfer comics are like, isn't that big of a deal.

Now the runtime could potentially effect the film's quality, but we shall see.

PG does not effect action...just sustained violence. The type of violence not needed to show sustained action.

Well, that's what they did with Evan Almighty, made it PG when I assumed it was going to be the PG-13 rating that Bruce got before.

PG does not effect action...just sustained violence. The type of violence not needed to show sustained action.

It limits physical violence, which is what I meant by action.

But, the Surfer uses energy blasts and rarely throws punches. Nor does anyone on the FF accept the Thing, really.

I'll be honest....not exactly thrilled with the PG rating, but Revenge 'O the Sith only garnered a PG-13 because of the burn ward Anakin scene. Everything else was PG violence. Now in ROTSS someone gets gruesomely injured or killed, then yes. Alba in her skivvies is not PG-13 worthy. That will grow them kids up anyway. :o

History suggests that sequels rated lower than their predecessors almost never do well.

Case in point: The Alien Vs. Predator film: All of the movies in both the Alien and Predator franchises were hard R-rated. Yet the AVP film was rated PG-13. This rating alone turned audiences off and discouraged many from attending the theatrical release. Why?

Because the core fanbase of each series were jaded and expecting something similar to what they had been accustomed to. When they didn't receive it, the backlash was substantial. In fact, it was so bad that when we polled "Should 20th Century Fox make a sequel to AVP" the overwhelming majority (I think it was like 70-something percent) said the studio should stay the hell away from the franchises altogether. The studio tried to make things right by releasing an R-rated Director's Cut, and promised that the sequel would be hardcore...but the interest in that has been damaged, according to general WOM and the polls.

Action/Sci-Fi audiences generally don't like "Lite". And this PG rating tells me that FOX is not even going after those audiences...they are squarely aiming for the children with this one.

I'll be honest....not exactly thrilled with the PG rating, but Revenge 'O the Sith only garnered a PG-13 because of the burn ward Anakin scene. Everything else was PG violence. Now in ROTSS someone gets gruesomely injured or killed, then yes. Alba in her skivvies is not PG-13 worthy. That will grow them kids up anyway. :o
but you dont know if this will be in FF.

I'll be honest....not exactly thrilled with the PG rating, but Revenge 'O the Sith only garnered a PG-13 because of the burn ward Anakin scene. Everything else was PG violence.

Were the prior Episodes (1 & 2) rated PG? Another thing we can look at is all of the pre-TNG Star Trek films were PG too.

Were the prior Episodes (1 & 2) rated PG? Another thing we can look at is all of the pre-TNG Star Trek films were PG too.

Episodes I and II were PG.

But, unlike Episode III, they sucked.

So the TNG Trek films were PG-13? Interesting.

As a fan and a parent, I'm really pleased with this rating. Hopefully this means I won't have to hear out-of-character curses coming out of characters' mouths or see holes blown through people. As I've said, the hole-blowing and Ben's G.D. curse were two big things that marred FF1 for me. And since they reportedly had to blow the hole through that guy in FF1 to get the PG-13, I'm pleased with this.

Fox obviously sees this franchise as more family-friendly than X-Men, and I think that's great. The FF comics never drifted as far into the depressingly grim territory that the X-Men comics have over the last 20 years. Instead it's remained fairly on-track most of the time in terms of age-appropriateness, even at times when the book has really stunk.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think this will have a negligable effect on the box office. I've weighed seeing a PG or PG-13 against seeing an R rated film, but I can't recall ever making a distinction between PG and PG-13 in deciding whether to see a film.

Guys I just want to inform you that this is from canmag...a Canadian magazine, the ratings are different there. The first Fantastic Four also got a PG in Canada so we might get a PG-13 film for this most likely.
Especially with the scene were Doom

Skins the general alive

I'll be honest...the Spider-Man flicks could all have been PG. The only thing marring them was the brutal violence in a few of the fights, but other than that, they were PG flicks. The sensuality in part 3 was even PG. ^Yeah, that is true that is a Canadian rag, and their rating system is different. It could still be PG-13 here.

92 minutes running time + PG rating it all makes sense now.:o

I thought someone said the US TV spots had the PG rating attached to them? Is this just a Canadian thing or what?

Why make it a PG rating?!?! I just don't get that. Its not like you're going to bring in a bigger crowd. PG-13 only restricts kids younger than 13 that aren't accompanied by an adult, which most young kids are anyway. Plus, I rarely ever see people check the rating of a film when going to see a movie.

Also, I thought that maybe since this movie is going to deal with the arrival of the Silver Surfer and a darker Doom that a PG-13 rating would've been the logical rating for this movie...

I think you guys are going over board with this whole PG thing. It is VERY possible that the MPAA just gave them a PG right away. And a PG can't be dark or graphic, are you kidding me??? Anakin had his hand chopped off by a lightsaber, how is that not graphic?! The film can easily, easily get a PG rating and still be exactly as it was meant to be. The film thus far, except for the run time, is actually turning out to look ALOT better than the first film.

And as someone who was read the novel, I can tell you straight up that the areas that made film take on a darker tone are the VIBES that it gives off- end of the world, taking itself seriously near the end, seeing the end of the world. None of this requires a PG-13 rating. A PG rating does not effect the tone of a film, the script does and the way the script handles itself. And nearing the end, this film is ANYTHING but light and kid friendly... but, could it still get a PG? Hell yeah. It has nothing 'bad' in it. It's just the end of the world vibes and taking itself seriously that creates that dark tonal atmosphere.

There were only two scenes that may have been cut with Doom- but, perhaps not depending on the way that they shot those two scenes... hell, in a PG film, as I said, Anakin gets his hand cut off- that's violent, folks, and that film is PG.

If you want swearing, saying the f word one time, and lots of people killing each other... well, then FF was never truly the type of super heroes you were into, if that's what you want.

J, page previously, even told you guys that NOTHING was really changed in a PG to PG-13 cut of that film.

As Highguard said, this is MADNESS

*sigh*

I dunno guys. Jessica Alba has been saying this film would be darker and more for adults in interviews for months...and now this news? I'm not going to say this is "bad" per se just yet. But I will say this:

With the running time and this rating combined, I don't believe we are going to get the kind of film the marketing and trailers have been suggesting. It is going to be light (lite) fare, and whatever dark elements Dr. Doom might have brought has certainly been chopped. The fact that we haven't seen much of him is starting to make sense now: there probably is not very much to show.

I should've seen this PG crap coming when Alba recently said "Fantastic Four will be the family comedy of the summer". :cmad:

We have the TV spots.....someone go look.......as for myself.......I've been working on that damn archive thread all morning.....I'm tired of looking at it.....lol

FF is all about FAMILY, lol... you honestly didn't know that? Give me a break dude.

Reed and Susan- Parents

Johnny and Ben- bickering siblings

That's how they have always been detailed and characterized as- a FAMILY. So, yep big surprise than an FF film will be all about the family. :up: Lmaol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"