Phase 2 or 3?

TheFanGuy

Civilian
Reaction score
http://www.movieweb.com/marvel-phase-3-movies

Does anyone else find it unharmonious that Phase 2 ends with Ant-Man now instead of Age of Ultron? Don't know why they pushed Ant-Man into Phase 2. I always thought that the intention was to end each Phase with an Avengers movie.

I guess the real question is what defines a Phase?

Makes no difference to me. One defines the phase is whatever Fiege puts into a schedule as far as I'm concerned.

I think once we send the end of 'Ant-Man'. Perhaps, the final 5 Minutes or even the Stinger Post Credits Scene, it will all make sense as to why 'Ant-Man' ends Phase 2.

From some of the Speculation, it would seem Lang/Pym are going to be recruited to join an Avengers team. Which if at the end of Phase 2 would have all the major players slotted on their appropriate sides and the chess pieces are set for the upcoming Phase 3 and 'Civil War'.

I don't particularly care. The "phases" are just arbitrary splits in the filmography, so I don't apply to much significance to them to begin with.
I did raise my eyebrow a bit when I heard that however, so I'll be interested to see how/if they really conclude phase 2 on that note.

I think once we send the end of 'Ant-Man'. Perhaps, the final 5 Minutes or even the Stinger Post Credits Scene, it will all make sense as to why 'Ant-Man' ends Phase 2.

From some of the Speculation, it would seem Lang/Pym are going to be recruited to join an Avengers team. Which if at the end of Phase 2 would have all the major players slotted on their appropriate sides and the chess pieces are set for the upcoming Phase 3 and 'Civil War'.
If this is the case then shouldn't Ant-Man be considered the start of Phase 3?

Marvel can spin it however they want in the future, but you don't end a Phase with an origin story for a character that doesn't even get a sequel in the next Phase.

While I'm sure that Ant Man will not be totally forgotten after this movie, it seems as if they are making this movie because they committed to making this movie.

While I don't think the Phases are arbitrary, they are overblown. That being said, Ant-Man's inclusion in Phase 2 seems more about having Phase 3 open with a bang than anything to do with Ant-Man.

I don't think a Phase has to end with an Avengers movie. That being said, if AoU rumors are to be believed, it seems a good bookend and lead-in to Phase 3. Finally, Phase 3 seems like the New Heroes Phase (Doctor Strange, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and Inhumans). It seems fitting to add Ant-Man to that.

All that being said, I don't think this question can actually be answered except retrospectively. We'll have to see the movie and decide where made more sense.

We will retroactively view Ant Man's position in Phases...but if the general audience views this as an "I can skip" it film, then Marvel will have a bit of a box office dud on its hands (though I dont see any way that it could do Incredible Hulk level lows). Marvel can survive that (DC likely can't), but I don't think they want those kind of numbers in the mix.

I think the bulk of their money comes from people who just want to see a good movie. I know people who have skipped movies all along the path so far. It's "that looks cool," not "what happens next." Every theater I go to, more than half the people walk out before the post-credits scene. While there's still a significant number who stay, that means that's quite a few who aren't there for that kind of stuff.

To me, its mainstream success will win or lose based on how well the trailers sell it. Those in for the extra mile might be less interested, but I don't know if they'd check out completely unless the movie looked like it would be bad.

All that being said, if the movie looked like it would be disappointing to begin with, those who care most about the movie fitting in might give it respectable numbers anyway.

Isnt it still part of phase 3? I mean, sure it wasn't announced with the rest of the slate, but that's because we've known about it for a while now. Who said it was phase 2?

Ant-Man is officially Phase Whatever :hehe:. I don't wanna see Pym siding with Tony. Although it makes completely sense, if we take his view on superheroes seriously.

I always considered it Phase II since I was never keen on ending every phase necessarily with an Avengers movie (which in my eye is very limiting). It was announced with the rest of Phase II, production wise it fell in the same bulk of pre preperation as the other Phase II movies and Phase II was a very short phase anyway, especially now that Phase III is as long as it seemingly is. But in the end, we will see in which box set it will be released

Do we know where it fits in timeline-wise? Does it take place before AoU or after? I don't think it's a determining factor, just curious.

I think Ant-Man is now officially lost in the shuffle. I'll be surprised if Ant-Man shows up in any other MCU film.

Isnt it still part of phase 3? I mean, sure it wasn't announced with the rest of the slate, but that's because we've known about it for a while now. Who said it was phase 2?

During the press conference, Ant Man was officially listed as Phase 2. There was a graphic that listed it alongside Guardians and Age of Ultron (labeled Phase 2), and he talked about all of them briefly before then moving on to a Phase 3 graphic.

Yeah it was formerly Phase 3, it is now Phase 2... there's been a change of plans. Not a big deal though really...

I don't give a crap about phases or whatever. I don't think the GA does either. Just love seeing another film in the MCU and another hero.

I think Ant-Man is now officially lost in the shuffle. I'll be surprised if Ant-Man shows up in any other MCU film.

I've got a similar feeling. I'm not sure Ant-Man would've made it to production this early if it hadn't been for Edgar Wright's support. But his departure was too late in the process to abort the film. I hope we're wrong though, as I'd actually like to see Rudd (and possibly Michael Douglas and Evangeline Lily) alongside the rest of the MCU heroes in Infinity War.

Feige officially called it Phase 2 in the presser at El Capitan last week.

Assuming Ant-Man ends with said title character and Janet Hope Van Dyne joining the Avengers, as any reasonable Marvelphile would expect, then it makes sense for it to be a Phase 2 movie. Then Phase 3 will officially be the "Civil War" phase that sees the heroes split up and pitted against one another.

We will retroactively view Ant Man's position in Phases...but if the general audience views this as an "I can skip" it film, then Marvel will have a bit of a box office dud on its hands (though I dont see any way that it could do Incredible Hulk level lows).

Why would the general audience view this as a 'skip it' film? Because of what phase it is in? Because the clout of Edgar Wright?

General Audience will be coming off of AoU high, we might even get a ant-man teaser in the after credits, or some other connection to Ant-Man. They will see that awesome marvel logo flash and they are all in.

As long as the trailer looks good, they do the write amount of pre movie hype and interviews, and reviews are decent, then this will be another hit for Marvel.

I've got a similar feeling. I'm not sure Ant-Man would've made it to production this early if it hadn't been for Edgar Wright's support. But his departure was too late in the process to abort the film. I hope we're wrong though, as I'd actually like to see Rudd (and possibly Michael Douglas and Evangeline Lily) alongside the rest of the MCU heroes in Infinity War.

If the reports are true about the flashbacks to
Hank Pym with Shield (Agent Carter/Howard Stark etc)
Then I think it is safe to say that Ant-Man will be integrated into the rest of the MCU.

This is the movie that follows Avengers , Age Of Ultron

Peoples expectations will be sky high

How do you do a follow up of the Avengers ,

Ant-Man !!!!

Marvel has something up their sleeve

Ant-Man is gonna rock !!!

I think it's more so to do with Marvel wanting Civil War to kick off Phase 3

Why would the general audience view this as a 'skip it' film? Because of what phase it is in? Because the clout of Edgar Wright?

General Audience will be coming off of AoU high, we might even get a ant-man teaser in the after credits, or some other connection to Ant-Man. They will see that awesome marvel logo flash and they are all in.

As long as the trailer looks good, they do the write amount of pre movie hype and interviews, and reviews are decent, then this will be another hit for Marvel.

Much of the general audience already views Ant Man as a skip, due to what played out in the press as a studio dealing with a terrible script that no director wanted to work on until they got far enough down the Hollywood ladder to find someone willing. It doesn't matter if thats true...it just matters if people were affected by all of that press...and I think that a portion of the audience certainly was. Add in the fact that we are almost guaranteed to get "Honey, I Shrunk the Superhero" headlines and some people might wait for the Netflix.

Or, it could be a blockbuster...but unlike every other Marvel movie so far, this one is not generating heat with the general audience. They will need to deliver a heck of a trailer and hype it like its an essential film.

Much of the general audience already views Ant Man as a skip, due to what played out in the press as a studio dealing with a terrible script that no director wanted to work on until they got far enough down the Hollywood ladder to find someone willing. It doesn't matter if thats true...it just matters if people were affected by all of that press...and I think that a portion of the audience certainly was. Add in the fact that we are almost guaranteed to get "Honey, I Shrunk the Superhero" headlines and some people might wait for the Netflix.

Or, it could be a blockbuster...but unlike every other Marvel movie so far, this one is not generating heat with the general audience. They will need to deliver a heck of a trailer and hype it like its an essential film.

I don't think the general audience so much as knew about Guardians before its trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"