Pirates 3 vs. Spidey 3

"Iron Man"

Sidekick
Reaction score
Which film will reign supreme next May at the BO?

Personally, I say Spider-Man 3. Not only does Venom appear in Spidey 3, but it's friggin Spider-Man! He's WAAAAY more popular than Sparrow, and don't get me wrong. I love POTC. I just think that SM3 will do better because of the anticipation levels from the fans for it. Fans will probably go to see it 10 times each. I'll be seeing it atleast twice!:D

Hated POTC 1...LOVED Spider-man 1
Hated POTC 2...LOVED Spider-man 2
....SM3 will win :o

Pirates 2 was complete garbage. Cinematic waste. I pray that SM3 destroys Pirates 3. And I think it will.

Well its STILL WAY TO EARLY! Spiderman is in the lead at the moment... but Pirates doesnt have a teaser out yet.

I think it will be close... very close. I give it to POTC3. (agian I may change my mind when I see some footage of POTC3.)

Darth Elektra said:
Well its STILL WAY TO EARLY! Spiderman is in the lead at the moment... but Pirates doesnt have a teaser out yet.

I think it will be close... very close. I give it to POTC3. (agian I may change my mind when I see some footage of POTC3.)
Yeah. I'll decide then as well.

But we won't have to wait too long for footage. Bruckheimer said the POTC3 trailer would be on DMC's dvd on Dec. 5th.

This is going sound trollish but I apologize, I have yet to see Pirates of Carribean, but real life buzz has been luke-warm and mediocre, most people were disappointed, I'm sensing Matrix Reloaded/Revolution numbers here, where as Spider-Man 2 was a big improvement over the luke-warm first entry. I think Spidey 3 going win.

Movies205 said:
This is going sound trollish but I apologize, I have yet to see Pirates of Carribean, but real life buzz has been luke-warm and mediocre, most people were disappointed, I'm sensing Matrix Reloaded/Revolution numbers here, where as Spider-Man 2 was a big improvement over the luke-warm first entry. I think Spidey 3 going win.
I agree with that.

Hard to tell which Movie will win. Are there enough Comic Book Fans to beat the Johnny Depp & Orlando Bloom Fan Girls that mostly give POTC 2 its Box Office Money ?

SpeedballLives said:
POTC3 will rule all next summer.
:eek: :eek: :eek: You speak blasphemy!!!

Dude I completely agree(but I like the first one so much better :( )...but still people liked the 1st, loved the second.

I have a feeling POTC is the next matrix. A lot of people loved the Matrix Reloaded when it came out, people were crazy for it, but when it came to DVD people got back to their senses and its sequel failed

No movie that makes over $900M has an audience that was "mostly disappointed."

Poetic Chaos said:
No movie that makes over $900M has an audience that was "mostly disappointed."

This Movie seems to be doing what Titanic was doing & the ones that made Titanic the money it made are the Fan Girls of Leo & romance movies

Sentinel X said:
What?:confused:
I hate the Spider-man films. and I LOVE Pirates of the Caribbean.
So how is it blasphemy?

Sentinel X said:

Dude I completely agree(but I like the first one so much better :( )...but still people liked the 1st, loved the second.

I have a feeling POTC is the next matrix. A lot of people loved the Matrix Reloaded when it came out, people were crazy for it, but when it came to DVD people got back to their senses and its sequel failed

Other than internet fanboys, I mean the movie doing good and I don't doubt that the third one going make some money but it's not going make more than 2 did, the series peaked unless the third one is great.

SpeedballLives said:
What?:confused:
I hate the Spider-man films. and I LOVE Pirates of the Caribbean.
So how is it blasphemy?
Im just joking....geez :(

Both movies have a good fanbase that has been building.

The things that makes Spidey 3 wanted :
It's the 3rd entry and many feel that this is ( hopefully not) the final movie . So they'll go out with a bang.
Not one , not two but three villains and cool looking visual villains as well.
We have the story arc of Harry being closed as he becomes the Goblin , he have an insanely cool looking Sandman and of course fan favorite Venom appearing.
Not to mention Spidey in all his symbiote glory ! . And with a great response from the comic-con audience and a kick ass trailer , things are looking great for Spiderman 3 to score big time.

POTC 3 has the big advantage that DMC has been such an enormous success. 407 million domestic and 920 million worldwide. Superb numbers and given the fact that the sequel is just a year away the fans are eager to wait and see this movie.
What also helps is that , unlike Spiderman , which is more focused on the male (teen) demographic and the kids , POTC is for all ages.
Older people , younger people , parents , all can come and enjoy the movie will helps bring in the dinero.

Looking at the dates , i think that both movies can hit 300 plus million each and possibly 400 as well.
Spiderman 3 is released on May 4th. It's the first movie to start the summer and has 2 weeks in the cinemas alone and unchallenged before SHrek 3 arrives. In both cases of Spidey 1 and 2 , they grossed the 200 million mark within a week and 300 million within 3 weeks
DMC grossed the 200 million within a week and the 300 million mark within 2 weeks.

Also POTC 3 has , aside from Shrek 3 , no real competition till Ocean's 13 comes out. It's release date ( POTC 3) is May 25th and Ocean's 13 comes out June 13th. That's at least 2 weeks that the movie stays in the cinemas.
So i do think that POTC 3 will also make 300 million with a possible chance of 400 million as well.

Which one will score higher ? Most likely spiderman due to the fact that it'll be released for a longer time , but only by little.

Yes, mtrix_ghost is correct.

Spidey is in the theaters before Pirates, so that right there is a MEGA advantage.

Hmm lets see.
SM1-average
Sm2-below avenger
POTC-didn't like it at first but it grew on me above average
POTC 2-By far one of the best films all summer really really above average.

I think SM3 will be better than the first 2 hopefully sense I hated SM2 beyond any movie ever. And SM being boring on repent viewings but the Pirates movie are always fun to watch over and over agian. I got to give it to POTC3.:up:

theShape said:
Pirates 2 was complete garbage. Cinematic waste. I pray that SM3 destroys Pirates 3. And I think it will.

That's how I felt coming out of Spider Man (easily one of the worst films I've ever had the extreme displeasure of suffering through in theatres), and the second one was mediocre. What I've heard about the SM3 script sounds terrible.

The first Pirates was mediocre, the second one was great.

SM2 made less than 1, POTC2 made more than 1, so probably POTC3.

Spidey 3 by long shot. Maybe Box office but the film is going to be better.

Pirates 3 clearly will have great momentum here i mean Dead Mans Chest has surpassed Spidy 1 and Spidy 2 domestically. I see no reason way not to think Piartes 3 can't out Do Spidy with its obvious family draw. You spidy fans are underestimating the term cliffhanger. More then likely there will be mad rush to see what happens next do to Dead Mans Chest Ending also Disneys makeing 2 movies at the same time may be easier to make more cash for the 3 year gap could hav an effect on Spiderman 3.

I am picking Pirates 3 to out do Spidy 3 because of there current domestic b.o track record. I however won't say they will be top movie for Shrek 2 man handled Spidy 2. Shrek has its fan base to. Its a really going to a great may for movies but also Spidy could be against an unstoppible wall here with a Shrek 3/ Pirates 3 Memorial day double team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"