B/O Forecast: Pirates 3 Vs. Spider-Man 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that bugs me with pirates, is that people automatically thought it would be great before they saw it. Lots of people think Johnny Depp can do no wrong, well yes, he is one of the better actors out there, but that doesn't mean he's beyond bad performances, like in POTC2.

Well, that I agree with- but it's the direction and script more than his acting. He did the best with the horrible material he was handed.

He was pretty much turned into the comic relief- which he wasn't in the first film...

So I'd say that's more script failure than the actor. Because, honest to God, he did the best with what he had to work with- in my opinion.

And as a fan of POTC1, I hated POTC2... The only character that they didn't do a 180 on is Davy Jones and that's because he's a new character.

Good to see your view tempest. I feel very similar to you, but I couldn't see Depp's heart in the performance, so it didn't seem like he tried too well...

Battle of the Franchises:

USAToday.com recently posted an article regarding the May summer movie showdown...(even the media is taking part in the debate...not just internet fanboys!)

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2007-03-08-big-may-movies_N.htm?csp=34

Film franchises set to do battle

LOS ANGELES — Hollywood executives didn't invent hyperbole. They just perfected it.
Still, they may finally have a valid reason to wield their arsenal of tired superlatives such as "must-see," "can't-miss" and "the event picture of summer."

SURVEY SAYS: See the full results of the USA TODAY/Gallup Poll on sequels

That's because the three films expected to rule 2007 —Spider-Man 3, Shrek the Third and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End— storm theaters not only in the same month, but within weeks of each other.
How May became so log-jammed with behemoth films is the result of hubris, superstition and the confidence of studio chiefs that their film has the goods the competition lacks.
FIND MORE STORIES IN: Hollywood | Disney | Pirates | Film | Dreamworks | Paramount | Shrek | Spider-Man | Tobey Maguire | Gitesh Pandya | Spider-Man 3 | Geoffrey Rush | Laura Ziskin
It has created perhaps the highest-stakes game of chicken in industry history. And it could pose a dilemma for theater owners gathering in Las Vegas next week for the ShoWest convention over which movie will get the best and biggest screens.
"Do I wish there were a few more weeks between our movies?" asks Laura Ziskin, producer of the Spider-Man franchise. "Absolutely. I wish summer were six months long."
But with just 21 days separating the third installments of the franchises, studios are waging fierce ad campaigns, scheduling celebrity promo appearances and conducting market research over who has the biggest core demographic.
"It's crazy," says Cameron Diaz, a star of Shrek. "I can't wait to see Pirates. I love Johnny Depp. But I'm sure there's a hidden clause in my contract that says I have to see Shrek at least twice as much as the other movies."
If there are likely winners in this battle royale, it's moviegoers and popcorn peddlers. The three franchises have earned sizable followings with strong reviews, and ticket sales sailed past $2.2 billion domestically.
"These are movies that not only have made a ton of money, but have been good to boot," says Paul Dergarabedian of the industry analysis firm Media By Numbers. "This could easily be the biggest May of all time."
Those stakes are not lost on studio chiefs. As May goes, so typically goes the summer box office — and the year. Executives are hoping that a blistering month will help continue the industry's rebound; last year, theaters reported a 3% increase in attendance, ending a three-year slump.
"May is huge because the kids are getting out of school and it's the start of the summer season," which accounts for about 40% of Hollywood's ticket sales, says Gitesh Pandya of industry tracker BoxOfficeGuru.com. "If these movies somehow don't do well and we go staggering into June, business could be in trouble."
And forget it if your name isn't Spidey, Shrek or Jack Sparrow. "I wouldn't want to be a smaller movie trying to find an audience in May," Pandya says. "This is about being big."
Just like the risks. The month, analysts say, amounts to a high-dollar poker tournament with Sony, Disney and Paramount/DreamWorks at the table. Combined, the movies cost well over $750 million.
And that doesn't include the effect a weak opening could have on a studio's stock value. When Cars premiered last year to $63 million, below most projections, Disney's stock fell.
Studio officials are quick to dismiss a competition between the movies — and each other.
"You guys in the press like to make it a horse race," says Jeff Blake, vice chairman of Sony Pictures, which is releasing Spider-Man. "But we all want each other's movies to do well, and there's plenty of room for all of them."
But Geoffrey Rush isn't buying the peacenik talk.
"The people in the button-down suits act calm and collected," says Rush, who plays the villanous Hector Barbossa in Pirates. "But you can be sure there are a lot of nails getting bitten down to the quick."
With that, here's a look at our May contenders, their secret weapons and their hidden weaknesses:
Spider-Man 3
Release date: May 4
Franchise box office (domestic): $777.3 million
Secret weapon: Comic-book devotees
Hidden weakness: Comic-book devotees' expectations
Shortly after the impressive debuts of the previous two Spider-Man films, filmmakers and executives gathered to talk about, of all things, what went wrong.
"It's the only way to get better," says producer Avi Arad. "Every time you raise the bar, it means you have to raise the next one even higher."
Which may explain why Spider-Man 2 became a critical favorite, although its ticket sales dropped slightly from $403.7 million for the first movie to $373.6 for the sequel.
Even star Tobey Maguire concedes it will be tough to match the quality of the second film.
"I know we have better sequences in this one," he says. "There are darker scenes, funnier scenes. Whether they'll all come together to make them better than the second, I'm still not sure."
After Spider-Man 2 opened, the consensus among Arad, Ziskin and director Sam Raimi was that the next film needed more complex character turns and better special effects.
"The one thing we've always wanted to get right were the vertical fights Spider-Man would have between skyscrapers," Ziskin says. "We pretty much had to give that up in the first one because it was too hard. But we've got it now."
The film also has new characters, including Thomas Haden Church as Sandman, Topher Grace as Venom and Bryce Dallas Howard as Gwen Stacy.
And it has the advantage of being the first big film of May, the one that kicks off the summer season.
The question is whether Spidey's box-office numbers will hold up. "This one may have the most specific fan base of the three" movies, Pandya says. "But it's hardly just comic-book fans. It's spread to the general public. It will be interesting to see how much of the public is dying to see how the story goes."
Shrek the Third
Release date: May 18
Franchise box office (domestic): $708.9 million
Secret weapon: Adults
Hidden weakness: Risky release date
Even DreamWorks executives were stunned when Shrek 2 became the third-highest-grossing film of all time, raking in $441 million.
"Kids just kept coming back," says Jim Tharp, chief of distribution for DreamWorks, which was later purchased by Paramount. "And they were bringing new friends."
But it worked well beyond the child factor. The film's cutting-edge computer effects and its skewering of pop culture and fairy tales gave adults reason to come, sometimes alone.
"It wasn't parents twiddling their thumbs while their children watched it for the millionth time," Diaz says. "It's very contemporary, more than a lot of other animated movies."
This time around, though, first-time feature director Chris Miller plans to drop some of the topical spoofs in favor of more classic themes, including meaty, comical roles for Cinderella, Snow White, Rapunzel and Sleeping Beauty.
"We said, 'Let's bag all of those pop-culture references,' " Miller says. "I think it can date a movie. And Shrek has a lot of classic themes to explore."
Like Arthurian legend. Among the twists of the new film will be a skewering of the King Arthur tales, with Justin Timberlake as Artie, a reluctant heir to the throne.
"He's a gifted actor who's funny," Miller says. "That's what makes our movie stand out. It's the only bona fide comedy."
It's also the only movie with a risky release date. Shrek's opening means that it has only one week before Pirates sails in, gunning for young audiences.
But studio execs say the weekend before Memorial Day is plenty big for two blockbusters.
"I'd say, even after Pirates opens, there's still $150 million in business up for grabs," says Rob Moore, Paramount's head of worldwide marketing. "We opened Shrek and Shrek 2 on those weekends, and it worked out great."
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Release date: May 25
Franchise box office (domestic): $728.7 million
Secret weapon: Johnny Depp
Hidden weakness: Pirate fatigue
Among the Big Three, expectations are highest for Pirates, which snatched the crown from 2002's Spider-Man for biggest debut when last year's Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest opened to $135.6 million.
"We tapped into something that the public was really hungry for," says producer Jerry Bruckheimer.
But what about a successful trilogy finale? Third installments have a spotty track record: just ask Godfather 3 or Matrix: Revolutions.
Rush says that one of Pirates' advantages over the competition "is this is the last one, and it ended on a cliffhanger. If you watched the first two — which a lot of people did — you're going to want to see how this one turns out."
And apparently, people are fond of Depp. "He's the one thing we've got that no one else has," says Mark Zoradi, president of Disney's Motion Picture Group. "He's a lot more than a Hollywood star. He works everywhere in the world."
Pirates may also have an advantage of being the last big film out of the gate. No film is seen as giving Pirates a run for a similar audience until Fantastic Four 2 arrives June 15.
But even Disney executives concede it's risky to assume that Shrek's audience will jump ship after just one week. "We think we'll be No. 1 the weekend we open, but there's no guarantee with a movie like Shrek," Zoradi says. "I wouldn't be surprised if this May we have three $300 million movies."
So who is the favorite? A USA TODAY/Gallup Poll conducted March 2-4 found that 29% of Americans plan to see Pirates in theaters, 24% plan to see Spider-Man and 23% plan to see Shrek. With the poll's margin of error at 3 percentage points, it's anyone's race.
"There's no way I'd get into selling movies or betting who's going to win something like that," Maguire says. "That's why I act."

If u click on the survey that USAToday took...Pirates is in the lead for the movie most people will see!

I've seen some clips of Shrek 3, and it look EVEN WORSE than shrek 2. So I'm pretty sure that will not do that well. POTC will do better than shrek, but SM3 has gotta get the win here, I'd say I'd eat my hat if it went otherwise, but my hat is a custom made Mac Murray from Chicago, so I aint gonna eat it, but the thought's there.

"Which may explain why Spider-Man 2 became a critical favorite, although its ticket sales dropped slightly from $403.7 million for the first movie to $373.6 for the sequel.
Even star Tobey Maguire concedes it will be tough to match the quality of the second film."

I agree w/ that statement from the article...

FAVORITE QUOTES:

"This could easily be the biggest May of all time." :wow:

"You guys in the press like to make it a horse race," says Jeff Blake, vice chairman of Sony Pictures, which is releasing Spider-Man. "But we all want each other's movies to do well, and there's plenty of room for all of them." :woot:

But even Disney executives concede it's risky to assume that Shrek's audience will jump ship after just one week. "We think we'll be No. 1 the weekend we open, but there's no guarantee with a movie like Shrek," Zoradi says. "I wouldn't be surprised if this May we have three $300 million movies." :ninja: :hyper:

- I really liked these comments. Everyone acting as one big team to give us the biggest May possible. And yeah, it's true- for most director's the key goal is to ENTERTAIN it's audience.... so no one really hopes a movie to fail- like some on here (starts pointing fingers) would like the Hollywood system to be like-

SURVEY SAYS:

So who is the favorite? A USA TODAY/Gallup Poll conducted March 2-4 found that 29% of Americans plan to see Pirates in theaters, 24% plan to see Spider-Man and 23% plan to see Shrek.

With the poll's margin of error at 3 percentage points, it's anyone's race:

----------------------------------

+=highest..... -=lowest

POTC3= +32 or -26

SM3= +27 or -21

S3=+26 or -20

----------------------------

- I think Zoradi has a point... with a poll this close to one another, we are really going to have three hundred million dollar movies- all three of em'. :cwink:

but the worldwide view is different from the USA domestic market....

READ AGAIN: There is a CHANCE for it to be in the lead with marginal possibility by being beaten or tied with SM3.

See my chart that I drew up to take in the marginals that the article is talking about-

POTC3 did not 'out and out' win the poll... if you do the mathematics that I listed above and that the source gives mention to...

If you delete the margin, that the SOURCE says there usually is, then it's sure-fire but that's conveniently leaving out information.

That is also why they said it is "anyone's race" because they ALL at one point equal 26 on the spectrum of the poll... there is favor for POTC3, honorable (1) mention for SM3, and Honorable (2) mention for Shrek.

Favor- most percentage point margins it being at the top of the poll.

Honorable Mention- not directly on top and has a chance to TIE or BEAT the 'favorable mention'

(2)- Does not have chance to be #1, does have chance to be #2 or TIE both of the above.

If u click on the survey that USAToday took...Pirates is in the lead for the movie most people will see!

A very large % of the audience for Spidey 3 and Pirates do NOT read USA today. I didn't vote in the poll and I doubt more than 2% of the population of these boards voted on it. It's one poll.

We now how you think it has "hidden meaning" and "hidden depth" that you think critics who too dumb to pick up on. :cwink: But, I'm talking about actual meaning and depth... SM2 STRONG REVIEWS critics stating it to be one of the best superhero films with a GREAT story... Critics TRASHING POTC II.... Critics praising Zodiac.

Hmm..... :cwink: :oldrazz:

Already "depth", "symbolism", and "contrasts/paralllels" to SM3:

NOTE: CRITICS WILL MORE THAN LIKELY SAY AT LEAST ONE OF THE BELOW IN THEIR PRAISING REVIEWS:

Did you know that Spider-Man's main villain is his SUBCONSCIOUS? And that even Venom represents that?!!! Spider-Man fighting Venom is Spider-Man fighting a physical form of himself!:wow:

Did you know that the symbiote equates with someone addicted on a drug? And that the symbiote could symbolize drugs?!:wow:

Have you taken a look to see how parallel Peter's and Harry's journeys are?! They're both motivated by revenge against someone who "killed" an important 'father-figure' in their life. They both have the exact same journey and the same parallels!

For the record I don't think I have ever said Spiderman is bad storytelling, all I have said is DMC is good storytelling

A very large % of the audience for Spidey 3 and Pirates do NOT read USA today. I didn't vote in the poll and I doubt more than 2% of the population of these boards voted on it. It's one poll.

Well they are all just polls, you can say that, but then what is the use of this poll?

In reality they will all come very close with Harry Potter probably winning

My honest assesment is

Spiderman is being released during school, and Pirates isn't, Spiderman following it has Sherk and Pirates, Pirates has Oceans 13, and FF2

the competition is stiffer for Spiderman, but it does have the luxury of having nothing coming before it

350ish for Pirates

330ish for Spidey

I think it will come down to Spidey having the worse scenario as far as opening weekend, with Pirates opening with an extra day, and with kids not in school...and then Pirates has more room to stretch its legs than Spidey does

2007 my prediction

1. Harry Potter=370ish
2. Pirates=350ish
3. Spiderman=330ish
4. Transformers=300ish

The use of the poll was to see what USA Today readers are going to say. If you look at polls from multiple sites and they keep confirming the same thing, or see something else to gauge the interest then that makes sense. The problem is these 2 movies appeal to a very large audience. Spidey has an advantage with a long history. Spidey 2 suffered from being a slow movie at times. Superior to the 1st yes...but slow and not as exciting all the way through. The faster paced exciting films (in the comic book genre) sell the most tickets because people want to see them over and over in a short period of time.

Spidey 3 at 330 is ridiculous. Talk about polls Venom was the most requested villain by a HUGE margin across the board. That will play a factor.

The use of the poll was to see what USA Today readers are going to say. If you look at polls from multiple sites and they keep confirming the same thing, or see something else to gauge the interest then that makes sense. The problem is these 2 movies appeal to a very large audience. Spidey has an advantage with a long history. Spidey 2 suffered from being a slow movie at times. Superior to the 1st yes...but slow and not as exciting all the way through. The faster paced exciting films (in the comic book genre) sell the most tickets because people want to see them over and over in a short period of time.

Spidey 3 at 330 is ridiculous. Talk about polls Venom was the most requested villain by a HUGE margin across the board. That will play a factor.

The opening weekend will be huge

but where are its legs?

I look at its release date and I see this

May 4th-17th

Kids are in school, college kids are in finals-boom 70 percent of its audience does not have time to see this movie more than once

then May 17th, once its return business starts to get out of school, Sherk 3 comes out, knocking the children out of the theater, then one week later Pirates comes out knocking everyone out of Spidey's theater

I look at Pirates and I see this; yes, It has competition coming out before it, but you have to be kidding yourself if you don't think most everyone who is interested in movies won't be seeing this movie opening weekend, especially the kids, who all saw Sherk the weekend before it, and now are more interested in seeing a new movie

and then, it has great legs, cause who are responsible for legs? Broke college kids? Adults? No, Kids, kids and parents, Spiderman is old news by now, and all Pirates has to do is make the movie appealing enough to be more popular amongst children than Sherk, cause the movies that come out after Pirates are Oceans 13, Die Hard, and FF2, FF2 is the only one that kids are gunna go to, and after the first 2 weekends kids are the only repeat business most movies see anyways

Dude, interestingly- check out what Harry Potter did summer of 2004... completely forgot about it- Shrek 2 and Spidey 2 dominated the summer box office that year beating Harry Potter.... so, I personally see the same happening this season as well.

Unless HP has went up in box office since then? Because the Shrek and Spidey franchise already beat Harry Potter in summer 2004.

Also, I don't read the books- I only see the films- but my sister, who is a fans of the books, says that HP 4 (?) is the worst of the books... don't know if this is general consensus or just her opinion of the book. I just thought I'd say that piece of info with those of you as clueless as to the next HP film chapter as I am.

I think:

1. Pirates/ Spidey/ Shrek=370ish
2. Pirates/ Spidey/ Shrek=350ish
3. Pirates/ Spidey/ Shrek=330ish
4. Harry Potter/ Fantastic Four/ Transformers=300ish

http://www.boxofficereport.com/ybon/2004gross.shtml

But, HP will probably beat everyone in the 'foreign gross' (?)-

Dude, interestingly- check out what Harry Potter did summer of 2004... completely forgot about it- Shrek 2 and Spidey 2 dominated the summer box office that year beating Harry Potter.... so, I personally see the same happening this season as well.

Also, I don't read the books- I only see the films- but my sister, who is a fans of the books, says that HP 4 (?) is the worst of the books... don't know if this is general consensus or just her opinion of the book. I just thought I'd say that piece of info with those of you as clueless as to the next HP film chapter as I am.

I've also herd the same thing from my bro

Its tough to bet against though

I still also think Transformers is a mega dark horse in all of this, if that kicks ass...that could make a ton of money

Yeah, but Shrek and Spider-Man properties already beat HP when in competition, so I don't know why or how that could change so much to make it #1.... foreign box office, yeah- that will be good... but, domestic battle already showed where it lies...

I'm still not ready to vote here. It really is a flip of the coin.

okay the only HP movie to make over 300 mil is the 1st one (317mil)...since then the movies have all decreased in b/o numbers (except the 4th which had a minimal increase but not much)...so why do u think the 5th will make 300 or over...logically it will do between 200 and 250 mil...(Harry Potter does better business overseas anyway)

Advanced Dark said:
The faster paced exciting films (in the comic book genre) sell the most tickets because people want to see them over and over in a short period of time.

Well AWE and Spidy 3 are both going to be fast paced and have alot of action.

Yes, but will people be disappointed if Venom doesnt fight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"