Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Status
Not open for further replies.
blackbeard.jpg
3D pointed in the camera. bravo disney. bravo.

3D pointed in the camera. bravo disney. bravo.

That is my biggest gripe about 3D. 3D should be used to add a sense of depth and deminsion to add a window effect to the film. It should not be a gimmick. Stuff like throwing things at the camera or pointing things far into the forground and doing things to specifically get a 3D shot make take you out of the film and to me is just as offensive as breaking the fourth wall. Piranha has a great example: when that *****e in the jeep throws a cup at the main character. It comes directly at the camera, but gets really big and feels uo the whole screen and looks completely fake. Then you switch views and you see it hit the main character. But the way they shot it to get the 3D effect it looks awkward and the two shots do not mesh at all. As I said, it takes you out of the movie.

That's actually a very cool picture. Obvious 3D to be aside, it's the best one yet.

And McShane is just badass.

I'm really excited to hear Hans Zimmers score for this film.

That is my biggest gripe about 3D. 3D should be used to add a sense of depth and deminsion to add a window effect to the film. It should not be a gimmick. Stuff like throwing things at the camera or pointing things far into the forground and doing things to specifically get a 3D shot make take you out of the film and to me is just as offensive as breaking the fourth wall. Piranha has a great example: when that *****e in the jeep throws a cup at the main character. It comes directly at the camera, but gets really big and feels uo the whole screen and looks completely fake. Then you switch views and you see it hit the main character. But the way they shot it to get the 3D effect it looks awkward and the two shots do not mesh at all. As I said, it takes you out of the movie.

I disagree.

3D is for depth, yeah. But I love the pop out moments from time to time.

How can you say what a certain film should or should not do? Obviously the people who are making the movie disagree and like those moments as well.

I think Mcshane looks terrible. Something so obviously artificial about his look. Not threatening at all. A huge step back from Jones who was one of the few things that worked about the sequels.

I disagree.

3D is for depth, yeah. But I love the pop out moments from time to time.

How can you say what a certain film should or should not do? Obviously the people who are making the movie disagree and like those moments as well.

It is only my oppinion, and Hollywood is a money making business so they continue to do 3D this way because it sales. 3D has always been about things popping out. That is what it was about when it first arrived on the screen and thats how it was marketed. Now over 20 years later they still use this gimmack. I don't mind things coming out of the screen if it is done properly and with style. Sadly some directors don't have the tact for it yet. 3D is an art and like all art it must evolve. When it looks cheap and fake and does not juxtapose with the next shot it is not done with style. Film is an art and like the art that is on canvas it must evolve and change and imrpove. I appreciate what came before but it can not be all there is otherwise we would still be painting on cave walls in mud and blood. Once again, this is just my oppinion, and I respect yours.

Pirates is supposed to be fun, its based on a theme park ride for gods sake. Pop out 3D moments are perfectly fine for what it is.

Pirates is supposed to be fun, its based on a theme park ride for gods sake. Pop out 3D moments are perfectly fine for what it is.

It is fun. Heck this franchise is one of my favorites. And I find all the films fun including the "horrible" At World's End. I never said it wasn't fun. Yes, it is based on a theme park ride, but it is more than that now. This is a film franchise. Its roots will always be the rides, but it is more than just that franchise based on a park ride. Apart from a couple nods to the ride it is its own entity now. But this has already gona beyond what I meant it to. I was just giving a simple oppinion about 3D, and it seems some have taken that a little more serious than I meant. I appologize, and would like to procede to another subject. When should we expect another trailer? March?

Here are the five reasons I'm looking forward to Pirates 4.

-Most probably less bloated story with less plot-holes than the previous sequels
-Most probably better characterization of Jack Sparrow than the previous sequels
-Penelope Cruz as a Pirate, stronger female character
-No Will and Elizabeth Turner in Pirates 4
-Keith Richards is back as dad Sparrow

Hell yeah. :woot:

To add to that:

-Mermaids
-Blackbeard
-Barbossa and Gibbs are still around (the two most fun people for Jack to bounce off of in scenes, imo)
-A new director for a fresh feel

:up:

Johnny Depp, screenwriter Terry Rossio and Penelope Cruz talks a bit about the movie.

Just in case you missed it, we thought we'd highlight some gen-u-ine, honest-to-goodness Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides news in the latest issue of Empire. Specifically, his promise that it's going to be very different from the sequels we've seen so far.

"Pirates 2 and 3 became quite...sub-plotty. The mathematics of it. All of these people went to see them two or three times just to figure out what was happening. This one is a little closer in tone to the first: more character driven, more subject driven. It has a freshness. Less mathematics."

Screenwriter Terry Rossio confirmed that much of the story does derive from the book On Stranger Tides: "Blackbeard, Angelica, the fountain of youth. Stylistically, we've integrated the book into our universe with Captain Jack and Barbossa."

As you probably know, Blackbeard is played by Ian McShane, and Angelica's played by Penelope Cruz. What's her take on her character?

"She's the daughter of the most dangerous pirate of all time, Blackbeard. She has learned a lot from her father. She wants to be good, she's a fighter for the troops on board the ship and wants to change her father, but she also has the mind of a pirate. So she can be tricky, the perfect liar. [She and Jack] were lovers in the past and things have not been resolved. Angelica is very angry and he is the same; they hurt each other but they get back together for this mission; it's an interesting game they have going on."

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=29958

Thanks Crockett! I'm really excited for this one, sounds like a lot of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"