Superman Returns Please post spoiler-free, edited version of the AICN review

emblemcomics

Civilian
Reaction score
I have a request:
Could someone post a spoiler-free, edited version of the AICN review ?
maybe even in a new thread ?

I'm sure many fans (including myself) would be very interested in reading it.

Thanks in advance,
Gal

- Very Good movie
- The plot works
- Great action sequences
- Intense romance
- It's not an "easy" movie, maybe a part of the fans will criticize it
- But for the most part they'll love it

There you go: :D

This is not Batman Begins, and despite what you might be led to believe, the overall tone is a lot like Superman 2, if not a little bit more serious. It's big and fun, but it has a heart. The love story is the basis for almost all of it’s drama, but what Singer cleverly has done is added a new element, and it is what will make most fans say “wow. Superman really ISNT all that boring”. He’s given Lois Lane not only a boyfriend, but a child! On paper, that sounds AWFUL. Lois lane? A mother! WHAT! Well yeah, that’s how it is, if your really narrow minded. What the child does is cement the fact that lois has MOVED ON and superman’s never ever had to deal with this problem before, and that is what makes us able to relate to him, the fact that we all have dealt with this very problem before. This adds a huge element to the movie and makes a much more mature film than you’d think. Instead of the standard "loves her but cant have her” love story, here’s a story where he DID have her and he blew it, and now he’s trying to rekindle the relationship. I don’t really get why some fans have such trouble grasping that, unless your one of those geeks that’s never been in a relationship so you obviously wont relate to this problem. But seeing Superman being jealous, while it might not be exactly what he does in the comics, makes the movie better. Giving Superman the slightest “edge”, or as some fans have said, making him emo-it all makes Superman much more relatable;he’s no longer just somebody who can do everything he ever wanted to. We know exactly what he’s going though, and Singer really took time to hammer home that fact and it totally pays off. That’s where the film gets really good, when they finally seem to be hitting off again, Luthor comes in and totally messes up everything, and the solution involves a lot of superman.

The very final scene of the film is also, a an instant classic. This film is the ultimate blockbuster-action,drama,comedy. It's got a very happy ending all around.

Now that you know what happens, you can see its not bad. The pacing is good, very similar to Superman 1. Performance wise, it’s all good. Spacey’s a very memorable Lex, and Routh is a very good Superman. His Clark Kent is bumbling with a high voice, while his Superman is powerful and idealistic. Trust me, he’s good. But the real scene stealer is Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane. I dunno why, but I just really liked her. Her character is the kind that is hard to not fall in love with. Even when she’s mad, she’s just hard not to like. We can see why Superman is so in love with her.

And now the action. I read in Moriaty’s review that he says theres only 2 action scenes in the whole script-well I’m here to tell you that s a total LIE. Theres 2 action scenes in the way Spiderman had 2 action scenes-or in other words, theres 2 super huge action sequences, and then a lot of other smaller stuff. The SPOILER sequence will be amazing and worth the price of admission. The SPOILER montage is classic Superman. The SPOILER scene is a 2 parter. Like again, in Spider-man,you have the finale is the bridge and then the fight, but its all one big action scene. Same here. You’ve got the intense SPOILER scene, which has a lot of stuff, from SPOILER to SPOILER to SPOILER. The you’ve got the fight after, including how superman SPOILER.

To sum up, this will surprise you. It’s a way more mature film then a lot of people will realize. In case you haven’t realized it from reading what happens, this is a big, big film that will be very entertaining and it’s also very good. This is not wall-to-wall action which is why I think Moriaty was bummed. But it is action mixed with drama mixed with comedy. Theres nothing to worry about, and no reason to have so much negative buzz. Moriaty said he didn’t like that the pacing almost exactly like Superman the movie-yeah hes right. That doesn’t mean its BAD-that means its good if anything, because it worked for that movie. It worked for Spider-man. It worked for Batman Begins. And it works for Superman Returns. Call me BlackJack, and I’m out.

Yeah thanks for that sverdlovski there was noway i was reading that spoiler version, i want to know as little as possible about this film and so far its goin well.

The SPOILER montage is classic Superman. The SPOILER scene is a 2 parter. Like again, in Spider-man,you have the finale is the bridge and then the fight, but its all one big action scene. Same here. You’ve got the intense SPOILER scene, which has a lot of stuff, from SPOILER to SPOILER to SPOILER. The you’ve got the fight after, including how superman SPOILER.

First ive heard about an intense spoiler scene.

why dont you go to the non spoiler forum then?

That was a great spoiler free review. This film sounds like it is going to suprise a lot of us.

It also shows that certain things can come across as crap on paper (kid, lex being only villian etc.) but really work when it's done on screen.

Thank you! I've been wanting to read a review that wasn't littered with a thousand spoilers. Good editing.

Very much appreciated, Sverd. :)

Exactly. I hate how people on the psoiler forums say that. No one ever goes to the NonSpoiler Section!

good point. SHH should be like BT.net. the spoiler section should be only for spoilers. not for the suit thread or the manip thread.
but ok it is how it is.

I wish the review went into more depth on why Routh is a good Superman, but oh well, good review.:up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"